Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a Hull

I've always wanted to "build" my own Bassboat. I've always wanted to find a 20' boat, strip it down, and build it to my specifications. The boat does not need a motor or even a trailer for that matter. I want a blank canvas to start with. Would anyone know the best places to look for something like that. I've been browsing through Craig's list but no luck yet.
    Thank you for your time.

2. Banned
    I would look at your local dealerships. They might have a older boat that was traded in they haven't sold they might almost give away to get rid of it. I found out a friend traded off a old Swift boat I always wanted so I went to the dealership to buy it. They had stripped it down and took the hull to the dump a few days before I got there.

How would you go about building it to your specs? Just curious what you have in mind.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Member
    A boat repair place had a dozen hulls in the back. Guys brought them in for repair, got the quote, and walked away.

The problem was getting clear title.

Copart is a good start

I sort of did that to my boat .. my stratos had a ton of features I hated like a hand rail that went pretty much around the entire boat.. shaved and filled all the holes and also rounded all the square corners it had them painted the boat.. rewired it all and added things it didn't have.. front tilt and trim, timers for the livewell , led lights and made a bigger and better cooler for the boat

Still about 1/2 of what I would have spent on a newer more expensive boat that I would have wanted to change every on anyways lol

8. Lost and confused MississippiBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat-to-go-Fish View Post
    I've always wanted to "build" my own Bassboat. I've always wanted to find a 20' boat, strip it down, and build it to my specifications. The boat does not need a motor or even a trailer for that matter. I want a blank canvas to start with. Would anyone know the best places to look for something like that. I've been browsing through Craig's list but no luck yet.
    Thank you for your time.
    I may have something you'd be interested in. I'm sending you a PM.

9. Member
    I'm kinda like these guys that rebuild cars, I enjoy working on boats. It kinda started because I couldn't afford to buy a bassboat but I found an 85' Laser that was a victim of a divorce. I bought the trailer and hull (no motors) for just $500. Enjoyed putting it all back together again. Then it got to where I wanted to build one my way. I've got a paint scheme in mind for both the boat and trailer. Interior modifications I want to look at. I have a file on my iPad full of ideas. I want to build my dream boat, cause there's no way I'll be able to afford it... lol. I currently own a 94' Nitro that I'm working/fishing out of. I'd like to find something newer and begin to really build it up right. I appreciate all the feedback I've received thus far and look forward to tossing ideas or questions back and forth with everyone. I'm no expert but love to discuss anything with bassboats and fishing.

10. Member
    Several years ago, there was a post about a guy from South Africa building a boat from scratch. I do not remember details of how he build his mold. You may can do a search and find it.

I think it was about 17-18 ft in length and he purchased a new motor for the hull he made.

11. Member
    I would like to put a different paint scheme on both the boat and trailer. I have ideas for the interior that I want to fit in, ideas for the rod locker and tackle storage. I have always enjoyed working with my hands as well as boats. So I would like to find a hull to be able to take my time and build my dream boat. Lots of ideas that I want to try.

I'd think the best beginning is a known good hull design with known running characteristics. Can remember not too long ago, some fella bought a BCB Pantera and "redid" the pad design and entire running surface. He had no idea how many thousands of hours of design trial and error had gone into that pad design before he destroyed it with plywood, belt sander, and fiberglass. Above the rub rail - have fun. Below the rub rail - that's where the magic happens. Change color - but not the design. Could easily be a failure and could easily be dangerous and uncontrollable. There isn't a hull designed for the market that didn't go through the testing phases by people who already know well what they're doing.

13. Member
    Keep an eye out on your local Craigslist and you will find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Several years ago, there was a post about a guy from South Africa building a boat from scratch. I do not remember details of how he build his mold. You may can do a search and find it.

I think it was about 17-18 ft in length and he purchased a new motor for the hull he made.
    You're probably referring to the link I posted about Bateau.com -& Boat Builder Central (the other BBC)... a sight dedicated to scratch-built composite boats, based on engineered plans. A member built a Phantom 16 flats boat, but configured the deck as a bass boat.
    https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=17806
    They have a Phantom 18 flats boat plan (which is also available in a 16' and 22' version).
    https://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PH18
    There are others on the Builder's page who have converted the Phantom 18 into a bass deck layout as well.
    If you go to the Builders Forum, you can read through posts on past/current builds. Very creative and talented builders, these guys!!

I've considered the project of building one of these from scratch. Here's a sample deck layout I created in CAD based loosely on the Phantom 18 hull, scaled up 5%:
    PH189a.jpg
    Wide beam, lots of deck space (including center storage for 9' rods), large cockpit with pedestal seating and folding jump seats. These boats end up very stiff and light, so a 115 would push it along nicely with great fuel economy.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    You're probably referring to the link I posted about Bateau.com -& Boat Builder Central (the other BBC)... a sight dedicated to scratch-built composite boats, based on engineered plans. A member built a Phantom 16 flats boat, but configured the deck as a bass boat.
    https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=17806
    They have a Phantom 18 flats boat plan (which is also available in a 16' and 22' version).
    https://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PH18
    There are others on the Builder's page who have converted the Phantom 18 into a bass deck layout as well.
    If you go to the Builders Forum, you can read through posts on past/current builds. Very creative and talented builders, these guys!!

I've considered the project of building one of these from scratch. Here's a sample deck layout I created in CAD based loosely on the Phantom 18 hull, scaled up 5%:

Wide beam, lots of deck space (including center storage for 9' rods), large cockpit with pedestal seating and folding jump seats. These boats end up very stiff and light, so a 115 would push it along nicely with great fuel economy.

Yes, that is the post/link I remember. Thanks for sharing again.

16. Banned
    Keep looking. I did back in 06' Looked for about a year and found an older Stratos 201 Pro at a dealer in Louisville, My. Guy had traded it on a newer boat and kept everything off of it. I think I gave $500 for hull and trailer. Found a good used 200 Johnson, used trolling motor, used electronics, etc. Everything but the boat was purchased from here. Ended up with a very nice boat for around $3500.

17. Member
    I've always wanted a 20' Skeeter. So I would really like to find just a Hull with a trailer to build as my "Dream Boat". I know there's a lot of great boats out there, but I've wanted a Skeeter since I was a kid. So if anyone knows of any..... feel free to contact me. Thank you, really enjoy connecting with everyone.

Thank you again
    Last edited by Boat-to-go-Fish; 09-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.

18. Member
    Search Craigslist there are a lot of beat up old skeeters for cheap to fix out there.

Should have no problem finding an sf 200 or zx200

19. Member
    may try a insurance co that only handles boats !

20. Member
    Brand new pro craft hull. Maybe you can get a deal it's been for sale for a while now.
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/b...286343699.html
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast