2003 Mercury 225 Four Stroke

Okay all I will be honest I do not know much about this engine as it is new to me and it seems harder than I thought to find information on them. From what I gather and correct me if I am wrong... these Mercury engines are made by Yamaha and Mercury just slapped their cowl on it. I wasn't aware of this till I went to a Mercury shop to buy parts for it and the guy basically flat out told me they don't have any parts in stock for it and that it is a Yamaha.

Anyways, I bought this motor/boat from the original owner last year and it had EIGHT hours on it. This was verified by a mechanic who scoped the exhaust, hooked it up to a computer, and did other checks for me during the inspection.

So with that said... I have a few questions.

1- Do I post my questions in this forum or the Yamaha forum for now on?

2- When I turn my key, I don't have any audible beeps like I have on every other boat I have owned. However, I do know the alarm works as the overheat alarm went off during the inspection due to the original impeller being bad. (This has been fixed). Should this boat/motor have a beep when I originally turn the key to start it or do some boats not?

3- I would like to install a digital gauge in the future but I am kind of confused about which route I go. Do I go with SmartCraft gauges since it is a Mercury? Or do I have to go with Yamaha's gauge system since the motor is built by Yamaha?

Sorry if some of these questions sound stupid. I can't find much information on this motor or any manuals.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NLaudy View Post
    Okay all I will be honest I do not know much about this engine as it is new to me and it seems harder than I thought to find information on them. From what I gather and correct me if I am wrong... these Mercury engines are made by Yamaha and Mercury just slapped their cowl on it. I wasn't aware of this till I went to a Mercury shop to buy parts for it and the guy basically flat out told me they don't have any parts in stock for it and that it is a Yamaha.

Anyways, I bought this motor/boat from the original owner last year and it had EIGHT hours on it. This was verified by a mechanic who scoped the exhaust, hooked it up to a computer, and did other checks for me during the inspection.

So with that said... I have a few questions.

1- Do I post my questions in this forum or the Yamaha forum for now on?

2- When I turn my key, I don't have any audible beeps like I have on every other boat I have owned. However, I do know the alarm works as the overheat alarm went off during the inspection due to the original impeller being bad. (This has been fixed). Should this boat/motor have a beep when I originally turn the key to start it or do some boats not? Yamaha single motors don't beep when the key is turned on.

3- I would like to install a digital gauge in the future but I am kind of confused about which route I go. Do I go with SmartCraft gauges since it is a Mercury? Or do I have to go with Yamaha's gauge system since the motor is built by Yamaha? Need to see a photo of what some connectors look like in the engine pan. Yam uses a separate harness for the trim information and for the warning lights. The tachometer signal and the buzzer ground are in the main ten pin harness.

Sorry if some of these questions sound stupid. Not stupid at all. You just don't know. Yet. I can't find much information on this motor or any manuals.
    Yes, it was made by Yamaha for Mercury. Same as a Yam F225TXRB model.

Head on over to the Yamaha forum at <MOD EDIT- ANNOUNCEMENTS> and ask any and all questions there. There may be a few differences between a Yamaha in a gray suit and a Yam in a black suit but we should be able to work through those. When you go there is will be helpful for you to provide a photo of the data plate on the clamp bracket and on the motor itself, if there is one.

Good that you know about the corrosion issue and the motor has been inspected. There is one other known hot spot that we will tell you about over at the Yamaha forum. Got a master technician over there that knows his stuff. A bit brusque but worth dealing with for his knowledge.

<Moderator Edit: Do not post links to competitive forums, Non-sponsors, and absolutely do not link bootleg copies of COPYRIGHTED WORKS. Please see forum announcements before posting. >
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-08-2017 at 01:19 PM.

3. Member
    Jethro,

Thank you so much! What a wealth of knowledge! Think I have spent the last 2 hours reading the one service manual. So thankful...

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NLaudy:

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

As stated, it's basically a painted Yamaha engine. You can obtain assistance on either side of the paint can.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor