Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    How old is the main supply line and primer bulb? I wonder if it could be sucking in air when it is under a load? I had a Mercury that did that once. It never leaked gas but would suck in air under a load. At first it only did it occasionally.

Just a thought.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, I need to compile a list of things that could be wrong and change them one at a time, one thing I forgot to mention was that when the boat stood up and would turn 2000 rpm I would get my fishing partner to go to the front of the boat and I would run the trim up and down and the boat would slowly get on plane, but would only run 4600 rpm at 43 mph, there is no one closer than 4 hours away that can take a ride and tell me what is wrong with this wash tub.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Juan Clemmons is in ATL he posts here once in a while, he's an independent like me. 770-715-9738.. Sorry no one is jumping on the bandwagon to go for a boat ride.

Its all about the dollar, if I offered money I would have results. I just installed an AC unit on my friends camper FOR FREE.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dshirley View Post
    Its all about the dollar, if I offered money I would have results. I just installed an AC unit on my friends camper FOR FREE.
    ??????????????

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Fred's the man

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    One of the BBC's finest OMC mechanics offered to take a look at it. He never once mentioned $. All you had to do was take a day and drive it down to him. I don't know what else you could want.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I just installed an AC unit on my friends camper FOR FREE.
    And in the last 2 years, I have traveled to Indiana, Kentucky, Wv, free of charge to help people with outboard issues...other techs here have done the same(I am no tech, just a piddler in old crossflows)Its all about attitude and how you deal with and address people. I (and the same as everyone else here especially Fred)have went out of my/our ways here to help people with free parts, very low cost parts, free manuals, free help and sometimes never get a thumbs up or thanks.. There are going to be times when someone just cant drop what they are doing, drive 200 or so plus miles or sit around the computer 24 hours a day or night and lend a free hand or do it on your schedule. Some of the people posting or wanting help here have either had a backyard hack or hacked it themselves and have gotten themselves into trouble but the techs here always try to work thru it even when the facts or history are never stated truly or at all. The techs here deal with quite a few people that do not want to do any leg work or research on their own and expect the techs to do it all(for free) and then usually never hear from them again. Bottom line is they will and are willing to help. Just dont have the me me free free now now attitude and all will be fine.Have some patience, be courteous and kind, they do have other jobs and families. Looks like an OMC tech at 90-120 dollars an hour may be in your future.

And thanks and to the people the techs have helped, dealt with and at times, became good friends and great members. Great site and great repair forum.
    Last edited by omcforever; 07-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.

9. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Hell dshirly i live in tennessee and i would take mine to fred without even guessing. The man has helped me out a ton already and alot of other people on here. I would take the trip and have it fixed once and for all
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Mountain Jigs View Post
    Hell dshirly i live in tennessee and i would take mine to fred without even guessing. The man has helped me out a ton already and alot of other people on here. I would take the trip and have it fixed once and for all
    Have personally met Fred and he will treat you great.......hellava guy///and awesome OMC tech! He speaks, I listen. Actually when Seahorse/BassMeister/ChampoinMan/and that other fella,,,,,whats his name speak) I listen also

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Jerry,,316jughead,,,,

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Don't forget Elgin.....They all have helped me in numerous ways....BUT I never asked for FREE help....

I did not mean to start a storm, that was not my intention at all everyone on this site has been very helpful , I am just simply very frustrated I have spent a large amount of money on this boat and the funny thing is I bought it from a club member. I was never expecting anything for free and never asked for it. It is hard for me to understand that this exact problem has not happened to one of the thousands of members of BBC. By the way who is Fred.

14. Member
    aka championman

I went to purchase a Johnson 18HP jet. We put the boat the water, started fine but when I went to take off the engine sputtered and missed horribly. I pulled the engine cowl and noticed the milky oil on the carb intake. I wiped the ca clean ad ran it without the cowl and the engine ran fine. Put the hood back on and it ran like crap and the milky oil came back. Only thing I can think it was from the high humidity and where he kept the boat....cool, dark garage. Was it the carb sweating? pulling moisture with the cowl on...how?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Ok here we go what are the correct OHMS for the coils on my 1994 175 hp evinrude motor, if there is a serial # I can't find it, next is the [power pack

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    275 Ohms between the primary and the spark plug lead. +/-50 ohms. From plug terminal to clean engine ground .1 Ohms +/- .05 ohms. Test procedures are in chapter 3 of your service manual.

Thanks Fred

19. Member
    ok, let me take a stab at it.I once had an evinrude 235 hp beast that ran like hell trying to take off, but on top end ran a lot better. I started throwing parts at it and I noticed some "milky white" substance on the middle carbs.fooled with it all summer with little satisfaction. In the wintertime my buddy and me fished a tournament that was 19 degrees that morning. When we blasted off ole 235 came alive and ran good for about 1 mile, then shut down and would not restart. I took the cowling off and the carbs looked like a chunk of ice! Would not start all day as the temp did not make it above freezing. After careful inspection I found a sound sheild missing under the carbs with a 6"x10" hole sucking air into the carbs directly from outside the cowling. A fter replacing it she ran great and never had another event like that again. I will try and post the link to the part I am referring to.http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0328358.html

I noticed your engine does not use this exact part, but has similar intake chutes. someone could have removed these trying to hop it up and messed up the metered airflow to the carbs>
    Last edited by TOONABASSER; 08-07-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: link
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is good David, If he had a cross flow motor it would probably work but he has a loop like yours. Take a ride down to Newnan and go for a ride with him and help him out!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast