Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Nice work man! I would leave the cutting board white, not like anyone is going to see it but you and it will make getting the rods into the holes easier.

I put a rod strap in the same place on mine for the co-angler, or when I was solo sometimes id stick a spinning rod or two back there. Nice work on the holder for the co's rod butts too, I like that!

Get that motor shined up, maybe even a coat of paint, then sticker her up and it's going to look like a new boat!!! Very nice work man!!!
    Thanks. That's what I said. It's hidden anyway. I got the paint for the motor and found some nice decals for it, but I'm just not sure if I want to shell out $90 for decals. I'm trying to fit custom built "power poles" into the budget.
    Matthew 4:19 - "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

2. Member
    Nice work man! I would leave the cutting board white, not like anyone is going to see it but you and it will make getting the rods into the holes easier.

I put a rod strap in the same place on mine for the co-angler, or when I was solo sometimes id stick a spinning rod or two back there. Nice work on the holder for the co's rod butts too, I like that!

Get that motor shined up, maybe even a coat of paint, then sticker her up and it's going to look like a new boat!!! Very nice work man!!!
    Thanks. That's what I said. It's hidden anyway. I got the paint for the motor and found some nice decals for it, but I'm just not sure if I want to shell out $90 for decals. I'm trying to fit custom built "power poles" into the budget. Gl
    Matthew 4:19 - "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

3. Member
    Any pictures of installing the recessed tray? Any hiccups you ran into when cutting the hole? Structurally sound front deck still or did you have to brace?

Also, did you replace seats yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1234 View Post
    Any pictures of installing the recessed tray? Any hiccups you ran into when cutting the hole? Structurally sound front deck still or did you have to brace?

I installed a recess try in my '93, very easy and straight forward, no braces or anything to worry about. The deck wood is prob thicker than you think too btw. Cut hole, after measuring twice, remove foam and install.

Basscast - No reason the decals cant wait for later. Get her working, running and FISHING first and foremost, you can slowly make her prettier while you are using her! haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member

That is my next update. I didn't take pics of the work, just the results. I pulled the front instrument panel and reached down in to make sure it was clear of anything I didn't want to cut. The front deck was 3 layers of 1/2" plywood and about 3" of foam on the bottom of the plywood. Below that was open but did have some wires laying on the bottom. My only issue was the thickness. I had to use a recipricating saw to get through all the layers. I drilled holes in the corners and I just went very slow to ensure a straight cut. Also make sure to use the shortest blade possible so you don't hit the fiberglass below or catch any wires. Have at least 2 blades on hand. They will dull quick and if you bend one you wont get straihht cuts. Apply resin to the exposed wood after cutting to protect it. I also installed it with deck screw to prevent corrosion. I removed the screws and applied silicone to the screw holes under the tray and reinstalled them. It was a little scary making a cut in the deck that can't be undone, but it turned out to be pretty easy.

Seats - yes I got new seats and installed them on the aluminum insert that sits over the fuel tanks, but I have to recarpet the floor and reinstall my tanks before it goes in the boat. That update should be soon. Carpet and glue are in the mail now.

6. Member
    I installed a recess try in my '93, very easy and straight forward, no braces or anything to worry about. The deck wood is prob thicker than you think too btw. Cut hole, after measuring twice, remove foam and install.

Basscast - No reason the decals cant wait for later. Get her working, running and FISHING first and foremost, you can slowly make her prettier while you are using her! haha
    I do want a pretty boat for my first trip to Canada. Lol

7. Member
    What kind of seats did you get?

8. Member
    What kind of seats did you get?
    Link for the seats I got is below. I got the Charcoal and Black.
    https://www.bassboatseats.com/collec...at-bench-seats

9. Member
    Update 4:
    Last week I finally installed a trolling motor pedal tray. This is the part I wanted the most. I hate standing off balance on one foot all day. I bought one for a Minn Kota even though I have a Motor Guide, because it was half the price. $64 instead of $135. The only difference was the pre-drilled holes to mount the pedal. I made a template out of cardboard, placed the tray on the deck upside down to find where I wanted it positioned. I taped down the template and drilled holes in the corners. I tried a jigsaw first but it wouldn't budge. I had to use a reciprocating saw, because it was 3 layers of 1/2" plywood under the fiberglass and 3" of foam on the bottom of the plywood. Before cutting I removed the front instrument panel to ensure it was clear below my cutting area. After I cut the hole and cleaned my mess, I applied Resin to the exposed wood and installed the tray with deck screws to avoid corrosion. I removed the screws and applied silicone to the screw holes under the tray to waterproof it.

I had left over cutting board from the rod ramp project, so I used it to fabricate a tool holder for the trolling motor tray. After cutting it to size, I trimmed one corner for the cables. Then I drilled holes and used a jig saw to finish the oval shape. I beveled the edges with a utility knife. The bevels are nowhere near perfect, but from a distance they look alright. It's hard to cut at a consistent depth by hand. To mount it I used 1/2 angle aluminum and stainless 1/2" screws.

I bought new seats a while ago, because my original seat was missing the backrest and reupholstering them was over $1,000. I finally installed the new seats on the aluminum platform, but haven't installed them in the boat because I'm still working on the floor. The new seats are Black/Charcoal and my original folding and casting seats were light grey/dark grey/turquoise. I ordered some marine vinyl/upholstery paint and painted them to match the new seats. The wood in the picture was attached to the hinge and that's what I screwed into to secure the seat to the aluminum platform. The seats are intended to be fold up for under seat compartments, but they wouldn't fit if I mounted them on the edge of the platform.

When I removed the old seat, I removed the jelly bean non-skid mating on the back of the fold down middle seat. I cut it to size for the small tray in front of the console and for the trailer where the jack folds up to stop the jack from scratching the paint on the trailer.

This is were I'm currently at. I pulled up the carpet on the floor, because about 3/4 of the floor was rotten. I cut out the rot and put in new treated plywood and braced it underneath. I also pulled the fuel tanks, because there was water, dirt, gunk, rubber worms and grease underneath them. After replacing the floor I applied a layer of fiberglass and resin. As soon as the carpet comes in the mail, it's going in along with the tanks (spacers underneath to allow water/air flow) and the seats are going in.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by basscast84; 01-17-2018 at 07:26 PM.

10. Member
    Update 5:
    Added some cup holders yesterday. One for the helm and 2 for the front deck.

Last edited by basscast84; 01-17-2018 at 07:58 PM.

11. Member
    Man you went to bat on that boat . Need you near me , to do my brake work on the trailer .

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Man you went to bat on that boat . Need you near me , to do my brake work on the trailer .
    It's actually pretty easy. Everything is easy to get to.

13. Member
    I haven't posted any updates in a while, because I was trying to get the rest of the work done before the trip to Canada. Once the carpet and glue came in, I got the floor carpet laid which let me put the tanks, spacers, and seats back in.

Next I got to the engine. The original color was dark, dark grey, but I chose to go with black and several layers of clear coat. I didn't order the decals yet, but that's just a nicety for later.

14. Member
    I got to some of the electrical work after the engine. The battery cable ends were badly rusted and losing contact, so I replaced them. I ordered an external hook up for the 3-bank charger and installed it in the washout. This ended up being a very convenient commodity. I installed a set of LED strip lights in the bow rail for navigation lights. I was nervous making the cuts, but it ended up being very easy and a layer of silicon waterproofed it. I swapped all the compartment and courtesy lights to LED, but never got them working.(no pics yet) They blink on/off once when I turned them on. I could use the help if anyone might know the issue.

The last update before we left for Canada was the new Lowrance Elite-7 Ti. I made new bow and dash panels out of cutting board. The Lowrance went on the dash, the old Lowrance Elite-4 DSI went to the right of the console and I moved my RAM mount up front for my tablet. The plan was to link the tablet to the Elite-7 via wifi and mirror/control it from the bow. I even built a sun shade for the tablet with a heat gun and some ABS board and installed a USB charger and voltage meter(no pic yet). It looked real nice, but I still couldn't see the screen in the sunlight.

Been following this thread.....keep up the good work!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    Been following this thread.....keep up the good work!!!
    Thanks, next is the trailer axle. It snapped in half on the way home.

17. Member
    Here are some of the results from the trip. My wife did awesome and caught bigger ones than me. I gave the kids some crankbaits to paint and took them with me. I spent one morning using only the crankbaits they painted and managed to land a bass and two pickerel with them.

Quote Originally Posted by basscast84 View Post
    Update 2:
    This year I got started on the trailer again. I went to check the brake fluid and only found water in the actuator reservoir. I wasn't too happy to see that, but not surprised given the shape of the trailer when I bought it.

I ordered a new actuator and an upgraded brake kit switching to disc brakes.

When I tore into the brakes, I found mud, gunk, dirt, rust and who knows what else on the passenger side. The driver side didn't even have brakes or components.

I installed the actuator and brakes after checking the brake lines for rust/corrosion. I added fluid and started the bleeding process and brake fluid started pouring out of the tongue. That's when I found where the water got in. The steel brake line was rusted out inside the tongue where there is no access. So then I had to order a new brake line kit. I installed the new lines and bled the brakes.

Anyone looking to do this, it is very easy. The actuator replacement only takes 15 min, the brake lines took about 30 min and the brakes took about 2 hrs. All of it was very easy to access with very few components. Much easier than working on a car or truck.
    How much was the brake kit?
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

19. Banned
    Lookin' good... Dan

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    How much was the brake kit?
    Total was $207.10 for the disc brakes. $136.25/ea, but I got them for $103.55/ea (20% discount) from trailerpartsdepot.com. I think I used a discount code they had. Should be the cheapest available, because I usually spend plenty of time scouring the web for the lowest price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast