Nitro Z9 Livewell Operation

Curious how the Z9 livewells function. Comming out of a 901 I had fill switches, recirc switches and pump outs. Fill obviously filled the livewells and the recircs were tied into the max air holes that pulled fresh air into the livewells.

On the Z9 I have aeration, recirc and pumpouts. From what I used of it, it seems the aeration pump acts as the fill but I am not certain if the aeration or the recirc is tied into the air holes. Do must guys just fill with the aeration shut it off and then run the recirc on Low Medium or High or do you keep both sets of pumps running? What is the purpose of the L,M,H on the aeration? Is it just a timer like the recirc?

On my friends Z20 he has fill switches where the L,M,H actually just fills the wells to a certain level and the recircs, which more closely resembels my old 901 setup, there are no aeration switches.

L,M,H is a timer. (H) is on all the time.

My normal operation is to use the fill or aeration, which pumps in fresh water on L,M or H while fishing. When running I turn on the recirc on L to get use of the oxygenators. I usually do nor run recirc while I am fishing as it just creates noise while fishing. I'm sure others have their ways, but I have not lost fish that were not already deep hooked.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

On your Z9, aeration = fill. The recirc uses the air inlets mounted in the gunwales and runs the Oxygenators. Pump out does just that. I fill, then switch to low, run the recircs on H. Lots of opinions on methods, and most of them do not let fish die in these wells.
    Last edited by jimmybass2; 04-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

4. Member
    I have a 2013 Z9. I use the aeration to fill then recirc the rest of the day. L=run for 1 min off for 6 mins M=run for 6 mins off for 6 mins H=run all the time. I've had my boat since Feb 14 and only lost 2 fish.

I turn on the aerator pump on high to fill. Then turn it to low to bring in some fresh watwr every now and then. Also turn the recirc pump on low once filled, this also turns the oxygenator on.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

6. Member
    Hate to resurrect such an old thread but I’ve had my Z9 for more than a year and still confused. I turn the valves off when I catch a fish, turn on aeration but if I don’t pay attention my bilge kicks on. I would think it would flow out the side. Then if I turn on recirculate on either side no matter H,M, L it runs constantly. Should I leave the wells open until I make a run?

No, but you could fill your live wells up in the driveway and look for leaking hoses or where water is coming from.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    No, but you could fill your live wells up in the driveway and look for leaking hoses or where water is coming from.
    Good idea I’ll try that

Quote Originally Posted by NitroNew View Post
    Good idea I’ll try that
    May need to plug the drain/fill hoses at the transom, so you can open the drain valve so water gets in the hoses, put the hose in the overflow holes and on the fill nozzles too. There is also a seam at the top of the livewell to the floor and when its super full it can sneak out. I recon you can silicone that if it indicates the leak.

if this doesnt work, launch the boat when the insides are dry, start using the livewell while watching everything
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Can’t get to the lake until Monday but I did fill both live wells up in driveway and no leaks. My next question, do the live wells have an overflow drain into a hose out into the lake or just overflow into bilge area? Do you leave livewells valve open while running aerate to bring in new water and close them for recirculate? I turned on recirc and could hear the air intake drawing air but didn’t see any bubbles coming from the round discs at bottom of livewell. Both switches turned on. ( That’s another problem I’ll deal with later)

Yes the overflow comes out behind the jack plate

Livewell valve needs to be closed to hold water. But for testing purposes if you plug the transom and have it open to fill the hoses.

the discs in the bottom wont make bubbles more than a hand full in a long time.