Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I found the stored material that caused the I-85 bridge collapse!

Using Google Earth Street View, I was able to find the stored material that was burned causing the bridge collapse. The orange color reminds me of the hollow tubes used to protect underground fiber optic cable. I bet there are federal laws making using areas under interstate highways for storage illegal.

2. Member
    It's not there anymore.

3. Member
    Interesting. Nevada Dept. of Transportation warehouses under freeways in Las Vegas. Usually you see steel beams, old forms , wood hoarding, gravel and sand piles...occasional piece of equipment. Patching asphalt and paint they store in buildings.

I was watching on a live feed and picked this up

Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

5. Member
    Yeee Haaaa

6. Member
    m.t.hands, that is funny! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA!!!!
    My blog. If you like reading about fishing and hunting, there's something here for you:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post

glad I wasn't drinking a soda Busting a gut

8. Member
    It will cost billions if the pass a federal law making every city move all the stockpiles they keep under highways. It's the best use of that land really. That pic is hilarious

9. Member
    Nightmare

What actually holds the span up? Aren't they individual spans not connected to each other? I don't know what failed in this disaster. Luckily no one was under the span that fell....

(606)305-1956

11. Member
    I spent 25 years in the plastics business and am very familiar with PVC, which is what those pipes were made out of. When PVC burns it puts off a black smoke like seen in the vids. I've also experienced PVC when it's burning,and it's not good. You can only take one breath of the fumes it puts off, after breathing out, you can't take the second breath. I suspect that most smoke inhalation deaths are caused by this. When you see smoke from a fire that's black, it's usually caused by PVC, which is in every house in one form or another.
    As a warning to those who mold their own worms, take warning, and use extra care to make sure you don't let the PVC burn, and also vent the fumes. If you want to see an example of what I'm talking about, take a coffee can and put in some paper and a few plastic worms, and in an open space light the paper, and you will see what I'm taking about.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It will cost billions if the pass a federal law making every city move all the stockpiles they keep under highways. It's the best use of that land really. That pic is hilarious
    Really! Ask the 100,000+ people that use this highway every day. Best use! It would seem a kid in the 6th grade would know better than to store flammable items under a highway. Man what if people who mean use ill will see this as a way to disrupt our every day lives. Talk about your soft targets. Going to cost millions to repair this one bridge. Could have stored it in one of the many empty warehouses in the area. Is there no one left in government with one ounce of common sense?

Funny Pic!

Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post
    Really! Ask the 100,000+ people that use this highway every day. Best use! It would seem a kid in the 6th grade would know better than to store flammable items under a highway. Man what if people who mean use ill will see this as a way to disrupt our every day lives. Talk about your soft targets. Going to cost millions to repair this one bridge. Could have stored it in one of the many empty warehouses in the area. Is there no one left in government with one ounce of common sense?
    Yeah! Lets react swiftly with a wide sweeping mandate because of one isolated incident! Lets ignore the thousands of instances over decades of material being stored under freeways without issue and spend taxpayer money to rent space a relocate it...because that is common sense.
    13 year old Tracker

15. Member
    I suspect the actual owner of this material will be determined to be a private entity like an underground cable company. This may be material being stored by Comcast or Mediacom or some such company for future use. It could also have been and abandoned stockpile leftover from a previous job. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope the news out with continue to follow the story beyond the traffic jams.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post

It's plastic pipe, not drums of nitroglycerine. Sure, it'll burn, but it's not like it's going to spontaneously combust - the arsonist is a much bigger factor. Realistically before this fire happened, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone claiming storing the pipe there would be a bad idea. If they paid to store it in a warehouse, people would bitch about wasteful spending, when it could just be set under any old bridge. It's real easy to play armchair quarterback after the fact, but get real.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, it will cost millions to fix, and probably billions in lost revenue, delays, etc, but in the grand scheme of things, you can't protect everyone from every possible calamity, and still expect civilized life to continue. Storing pipe under a bridge seems pretty low risk in the grand scale of public safety.

I'm assuming you are all for outlawing boating next time someone drowns? I mean, any 6th grader could see that floating around a big bad lake on a little chunk of fiberglass is very dangerous.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Who is John Galt?

17. Member
    Under bridges is where most major cities keep supplies. My city has different things under almost all the bridges, one being pipe for directional boring underground which is what that pipe looks like.

18. Banned
    I believe this is fake news. Couldn't happen.
    What is it that all the conspiracy theorists say about the Twin Towers on 9/11? A hot fire could never, ever bring down a building.
    LOL.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post

Those Damn Duke Boys!!

20. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I would like to hear as well what exactly caused the collapse? Was it the intense heat caused the concrete to fail or what exactly? On another note I am glad I don't live in Atlanta.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast