Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New boat. Skeeter zx250 or Phoenix 721 pro xp

I am looking to buy a new boat and never been a boat owner before and heard tons of great things about skeeter and Phoenix ....really wanting the skeeter as 250 but all info and opinions appreciated
    Last edited by Hdbates11; 03-18-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Tags

2. Member
    I am in the same situation except Phoenix and Basscat. Really leaning toward a Phoenix 721 at this point.

3. Member
    Personal preference and local support. Skeeter you pretty much have to get a Yamaha, Phoenix you get your choice. Layout is preference, so are looks. Speed the Phoenix wins hands down. To be honest, though, from everyone I spoke to before buying my first boat...they are both too much for a new owner. The Phoenix takes more driving than many boats from what I've heard (after a certain speed). Best of luck whatever way you go. Just know this: I'd hate to spend $50k+ on either of those boats as a new owner and bang it up the first trip out by being inexperienced.

For what its worth, thanks to finance issues, I ended up paying cash for a used 18' boat with a 175 instead of getting a near new (or new)Phoenix with a 225, and I'm glad I did. I don't have to worry about being it being more than I could handle, I didn't have to worry about being the one to put the first scratch on it. I can go fishing, make mistakes in operating the boat, and not worry about it too much.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    Pretty much all performance pad boats will require driving the chine over certain speeds. Phoenix, Allison, Bullet, Bass cat...etc.
    I'm not familiar with Skeeter or the larger Rangers.
    It all depends on the boat.
    I have a BCB 18 footer with a 175. It will do 70+ mph. It does require driving the chine.
    Our club has Skeeter and Phoenix. From what I have seen of both boats. I would go with the Phoenix. Just personal preference.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    I've got 2017 721xp- really like it. I've had several including ranger and 721xp my fav. Not sure where u live but wiedas has both skeeter and Phoenix- can look at them side by side

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    It seems to me that Skeeter has had some very good prices advertised lately. I don't know anything about either boat, other than I believe they are both good brands. Skeeter has been around a long, long time.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

7. Moderator
    I tried my derndest to get I a new skeeter and was really close to pulling the trigger but I came across a one year old Phoenix and I'm very glad I didn't get the skeeter. Not saying the skeeter wasn't a nice boat but I love this Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Pretty much all performance pad boats will require driving the chine over certain speeds. Phoenix, Allison, Bullet, Bass cat...etc.
    I'm not familiar with Skeeter or the larger Rangers.
    It all depends on the boat.
    I have a BCB 18 footer with a 175. It will do 70+ mph. It does require driving the chine.
    Our club has Skeeter and Phoenix. From what I have seen of both boats. I would go with the Phoenix. Just personal preference.
    I may be crazy, but how are these boats called the best performing boats when most agree they are hard to drive to its full potential? I read on thread after thread, people saying these "fast" boats are the best performing, yet only the really experienced drivers can get that performance out of it. To me, performance is being able to go WOT and drive with 1 hand, not pissing blood when you get to your honey hole, the best fuel mileage and a heck of a platform for fishing once the TM is put down. Who cares if it's 2 mph slower if you're not stressed out and wore out when you get there!

9. Member
    I agree with Roosterman and i run a 02 tr 21 so i can say first hand that i know chine walk. I still love it. Best part is that its paid for.

i don't believe you could go wrong with either one of those plus some others, we are lucky that the consumer driven demand has forced all brands to "step up their game" sadly it has also been the demise of some "less established" brands that were/are still good rigs...
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

11. Member
    Skeeter for sure

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I may be crazy, but how are these boats called the best performing boats when most agree they are hard to drive to its full potential? I read on thread after thread, people saying these "fast" boats are the best performing, yet only the really experienced drivers can get that performance out of it. To me, performance is being able to go WOT and drive with 1 hand, not pissing blood when you get to your honey hole, the best fuel mileage and a heck of a platform for fishing once the TM is put down. Who cares if it's 2 mph slower if you're not stressed out and wore out when you get there!
    It's the same as a performace sports car. You can't expect to drive a 'Vette at 150+ with no driver input.

My 21XD is much more stable at 70mph than any other cookie cutter...where you'd be "white knuckled". At 70 it's still pulling...but begins to require more driver input.

Sorry, but you're not driving any bass boat 70mph+ casually, one handed.

I'm not a big fan of a manufacturer limiting the consumer to 1 motor option. Today's boats are so expensive we should be able to pick the combinations we want. That's my only problem with Skeeter. The guys that love Skeeter and Yamaha won't struggle with this, but those of us that are on the fence on what we want will go somewhere else.....I'd say there are more Mercury loyal fishermen out there than there are Skeeter loyal fishermen. Just think how many more Skeeters they'd sell if they'd allow these Merc guys an option without a penalty. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    It's the same as a performace sports car. You can't expect to drive a 'Vette at 150+ with no driver input.

My 21XD is much more stable at 70mph than any other cookie cutter...where you'd be "white knuckled". At 70 it's still pulling at 70...but begins to require more driver input.

Sorry, but you're not driving any bass boat 70mph+ casually, one handed.

Yes there is. Done it for years in my 2003 521vx. I maxed it out at 73.7 when I first bought it but after loading it down and beating my prop up a little, I could still hit 70 easy and it was like driving a Cadillac. One hand on the wheel, every where you went. No chine walk or white knuckling.

Rode 70 miles one way with Bill Lowen in his Skeeter, 70-72 the whole way with 2 fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel, his other hand in his pocket. Just 1 example of many. I've also been with several Elites in Tritons and Cats that fought the wheel and chine walk the whole day. Could've been the drivers not the boats.

Now I have seen a lot of guys driving like you're talking about. White knuckling back and forth on the steering wheel while driving 70-74.

15. Member
    A 73 mph 521vx. Who knew?

16. Member
    FX 20 with a 250 SHO...drive it one handed at 68 to 72 mph all the time. Never have to fight the wheel unless I want to see where I can get the top speed too, and I don't do that often at all.

17. Member
    First off just based on my own preference I would choose the Phoenix if I had good dealer access. If I didn't have good dealer access for either brand I would choose the Phoenix.

FWIW IMO any boat that doesn't require some driver/wheel input at top speeds is underperforming. The reason for the driver to input is because the boat is reacting to prop bias. This will occur when the hull is lifted to the max . This will reduce drag and increase the ability of the outboard to increase speed. There are a lot of boats that reach WOT top speed that don't require any driver input. Many of these setups are rigged with the maximum horsepower. What this means is that even with the max horsepower on the coast guard plate the hull is sufficiently in the water to negate prop bias, thus minimizing any driver input. If you adjust the setup on these rigs by increasing horsepower and or propping you can get the same rig up and out of the water to a greater degree that driving at the higher speeds will require driver input.

I once had a boat that would chine walk at 68. As it increased speed the chine walking would disappear. At 73 and above it was smooth as silk and easy to drive. If I would have increased the horsepower I am confident that the chinewalking would reappear.

I like the Phoenix.
    GETFISHED !!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I'm not a big fan of a manufacturer limiting the consumer to 1 motor option. Today's boats are so expensive we should be able to pick the combinations we want. That's my only problem with Skeeter. The guys that love Skeeter and Yamaha won't struggle with this, but those of us that are on the fence on what we want will go somewhere else.....I'd say there are more Mercury loyal fishermen out there than there are Skeeter loyal fishermen. Just think how many more Skeeters they'd sell if they'd allow these Merc guys an option without a penalty. JMO
    The same goes for boats rigged with Merc or primarily Mercs. You want another brand you gotta pay the penalty in some way.

19. Member
    Preference is yours. The smell of a new boat aahhhhhhh.
    Praying for a Cure

20. Banned
    Once you purchase it you are pretty much committed and if not happy 6-12 months latter and want another brand you will probably take a big loss unless you stay in a area that is dotted with the brand you chose. When picking a bastard brand that only a few out of a hundred own in your circle it would take another looking that bastard also. Which brand is the best and holds it's value and service, etc is above and beyond all others is a plus with common sense. It is like buying anything in life, nothing will satisfy everybody. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast