How to run two Garmin units off one transducer

Just picked up a Garmin Echomaps 73sv (without chirp) on sale for $450 normally 1k. I would like to either get a smaller unit to run on the dash or get a bigger unit and run the bigger unit up front and run the 73 on the dash. Either way, how can I run two units off of one transducer, if that's even possible? Transducer "splitter" at the plug in along with an extension cable for the front graph? If it is possible, are there certain units that wouldn't be able to be ran together (example: 53dv or 94sv with chirp?)
    Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 03-14-2017 at 01:07 AM.

2. Member
    Garmin doesn't offer a transducer switch. In the past occasionally you would see a 2 unit 1 transducer switch or a 1 unit 2 transducer switch with some other brands.

Running two units off separate transducers is actually preferable to me. You really have to do your homework here. For example, I just learned that the discounted echomap non-chirp units will only run SideVu and DownVu on 455. The chirp units nearly always can be run together because the 2d can be manually set to a variety of frequencies and the Side/Down can be run on either 455 or 800. One chirp and one non-chirp can probably also work since the chirp unit has some flexibility in the settings.

Another option with the dash unit is just hit the power button and choose stop transmitting before moving to the bow. Just takes a jif.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
    Just picked up a Garmin Echomaps 73sv (without chirp) on sale for $450 normally 1k. I would like to either get a smaller unit to run on the dash or get a bigger unit and run the bigger unit up front and run the 73 on the dash. Either way, how can I run two units off of one transducer, if that's even possible? Transducer "splitter" at the plug in along with an extension cable for the front graph? If it is possible, are there certain units that wouldn't be able to be ran together (example: 53dv or 94sv with chirp?)
    With echoMAPs, this is not possible. To share sonar transducers among units, you need Marine Network (Ethernet) compatible MFDs (like the 7600 series). The echoMAP units do not have Ethernet-networking capabilities.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    Well, looks like I'm going back to humminbird

Quote Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
    Well, looks like I'm going back to humminbird
    Can't do that with Humminbird anymore unless you can find the discontinued TS3 switch somewhere. The really old TS-W may be around too.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Can't do what anymore? Run two transducers with a y cable?

7. Member
    You may have to go to an older Lowrance to get that. Humminbird and Lowrance have both made switches to allow you to hook 2 transducers to one unit. I've only seen older Lowrance switches though that allowed 2 units to hook to one transducer. There were problems with the Hbird manual TS-2 switch and units getting fried. Now they have the TS-3 that is a powered switch but it is for 2 transducers to one unit. Lowrance has made a bunch of switches for their older units to switch 2d only transducers. SB-3,4,6,9,10. The SB-6 and SB-10 were for 2 units to connect to one transducer. The only combo transducer switch I know of is made by Humminbird to use 2 transducers with one unit. That is except for the one I have made but not tested yet.

I have a variety of transducer switches so I will offer a bit of advice. Be careful. It don't always work out well and sometimes it can cause the failure of the unit or the transducer or both. That's what Airmar techs told me. Generally you are better off to develop a different plan. I don't think that you will find what you say you are looking for in any brand. The tested and proven method of sharing sonar for all brands is via ethernet networking. That means you have to be very selective of the model you purchase and do your homework ahead of time. Not saying it can't be done but it looks like you are headed against the wind. I hope you find what you want and that it works out for you.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    Can't do what anymore? Run two transducers with a y cable?
    Actually I used the wrong part for what the OP asked. He wants two units to read one transducer.

I didn't pay attention close enough to his post just like you didn't.

For Humminbird that is a US3 switch, way more discontinued than the two transducers for a single display TS3 switch. Have not seen that part mentioned for a long time. I installed one many years ago for a guy that wanted to use a single display at two different locations on the boat.

No Y cable splits sonar pulses to two different locations.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With echoMAPs, this is not possible. To share sonar transducers among units, you need Marine Network (Ethernet) compatible MFDs (like the 7600 series). The echoMAP units do not have Ethernet-networking capabilities.
    Todd, your referring to the new Echomap73, 93 series correct. I have a discontinued Echomap 70S networked to my 1040 for panoptix and sonar. The 70s is networkable however discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Todd, your referring to the new Echomap73, 93 series correct. I have a discontinued Echomap 70S networked to my 1040 for panoptix and sonar. The 70s is networkable however discontinued.
    Sorry for the lack of detail. Yes, I was specifically referring to the "new" nonCHIRP and CHIRP echoMAPs.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Sorry for the lack of detail. Yes, I was specifically referring to the "new" nonCHIRP and CHIRP echoMAPs.
    Glad kept the 70S and am pleased with the 1040 work well together.