Mercury Perfect Seal question

Is Permatex High Tack gasket sealant an acceptible substitute?

thanks
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

2. Member
    prob work just fine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would want to know what engine you were using it on, and specifically for what purpose (or gasket).

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    prob work just fine
    I thought so too. thanks
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

5. Member
    When I needed Perfect Seal, several sources led me to believe Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket was the same thing but could never confirm 100%. In the end, I decided to go with the Mercury Perfect Seal as I was doing a Bravo 3 Bearing Carrier and didn't want to take that kind of risk for about a $15 savings.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...ealant-liquid/
    1997 Boston Whaler 20 Outrage Center Console
    1998 Mercury 200XL Offshore Outboard

6. Member
    I went ahead and ordered the Perfect Seal as well. I also saw threads about the Aviation Form A Gasket at various places.
    Like you said, it's cheap enough and I'm waiting on some other parts to arrive anyway.
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

What are you using it on (specifically)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

What are you using it on (specifically)?
    Water pump base. 2004 Optimax 175 OT922019
    Last edited by Carolina_Rig; 02-22-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

9. Member
    You have to consider that some gaskets are also spacers for their application. Using sealer on a waterpump base and housing will decrease the clearance in which the impeller has. It will work but it will also create extra initial heat and wear into the stainless end plates.
    Personally as cheap as the pump gaskets are I wouldn't use anything but the proper gaskets! JMO
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickBullet View Post
    You have to consider that some gaskets are also spacers for their application. Using sealer on a waterpump base and housing will decrease the clearance in which the impeller has. It will work but it will also create extra initial heat and wear into the stainless end plates.
    Personally as cheap as the pump gaskets are I wouldn't use anything but the proper gaskets! JMO
    I'm not substituting Perfect Seal for a gasket. I would never do anything that idiotic on something as important as the cooling system on an outboard. The Mercury factory repair manual calls for Perfect Seal on the bottom of base.
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

Think everyone just wanted clarification on how you were using it to give a good sound answer. A lot of folks read these forums and use them in their own repairs. Proper answers prevent them from doing exactly what you said about short cutting a gasket.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

12. Member
    put gaskets on it please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    put gaskets on it please
    In fact, on and under it
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

15. Member
    Nothing will seal better than a DRY Gasket!
    Anytime you put Pukey on a gasket it will squish out when tightened!
    Liquid gasket sealers have their place....as in sealing a surface that's rusted, corroded or such, (along with a gasket and don't over tighten), but not on a smooth surface that needs a gasket for spacing!
    If you want a perfect seal on a smooth surface that does not need spacing then Silicon works wonders as long as you don't over do the tightening and it has to be applied to a clean, oil free surface!
    Last edited by QuickBullet; 02-23-2017 at 10:03 AM.

16. Member
    I have a 2.5L Optimax and the only place my manual calls for Perfect Seal on the water pump is inside the insert area of the pump cover, before installing the insert. This only applies if you are re-using the old cover and installing a new insert. Since a kit comes with the insert already installed in a new cover, there is no need for Perfect Seal. Water pump gaskets are installed dry. Only sealer you need is high temp silicone in step 5 and at back of water pump for exhaust dam.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax