Need Fuel Stabilizer Advice

I filled my tank up in April of this year with 87 Octane Non-Ethanol. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use it much this summer and still have about 25 gallons left from that fill up. Never been in a situation where I did not recently add new gas before storing for the winter. What kind of stabilizer is recommended to get this fuel through until next Spring? Planning to get the carb cleaned and serviced over the off season so don't want to do that and have old fuel dirty the carb right back up again when I crank her up in the Spring. Running a 98 Carb'd 200XL Offshore. Any advice appreciated! Jason
    1997 Boston Whaler 20 Outrage Center Console
    1998 Mercury 200XL Offshore Outboard

2. Member
    There are lots that you could use, but I like Starbrite Startron.

2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

The gas may already be bad. I would just drain it. Then add fresh gas with stabilizer and I would use Quickstore.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not use that fuel. Stabilize an external/separate fuel tank, connect it directly to the engine, and run long enough to get that new/stabilized fuel through the system. Hopefully you do not already have problems in the fuel system (today's fuels begin to degrade 15 days after purchase without proper treatment).

Drain the fuel tank completely (siphon method). Then start with a FRESH load of fuel when you intend to put the boat back into service.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the information guys! Do you have a recommended portable tank I should use? Would probably need at least 6 or so gallons for a decent run on the new gas.

Should I get a new fuel line and primer for the portable tank or just connect the line from the fuel tank directly to the back of my existing primer bulb? Any recommended quick disconnects that can be integrated to make this easier in the future? Also, what should I use to treat the gas in the temporary tank before running it? Just stabilizer or any cleaner too? Thanks!

I have made it the habit to use a stabilizer, either Quickstore or Sta-Bil every time I add gas. I also never add more fuel than I think I can use in a month or two.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have made it the habit to use a stabilizer, either Quickstore or Sta-Bil every time I add gas. I also never add more fuel than I think I can use in a month or two.
    Yes, probably good advice. Unfortunately non-ethanol gas is hard to find around here and I avoid E-10 in boats completely regardless of treatments. I usually get much more boating in so normally this would not be a problem for me. It does bring up good information for winter storage though.

8. Member
    OK, I have a 5/16" hose from outboard to the bulb, 3/8" from bulb to Water Separator Filter and 3/8 from filter to tank. The bulb is very close to the flexible tube that carries all the hoses, cables and lines from the boat in to the bilge. Can I place a quick disconnect in the fuel line between the bulb and outboard, then get a tank with another primer bulb assembly and quick disconnect and connect at that location to the remote tank? Thanks!

Looking at Attwood Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDQLCMA...=ICZEGMFQM3K25

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is an EPA-rated tank, and requires a FDV (fuel demand valve) when used with your engine. Very important (without it, the engine may flood due to pressure buildup in the tank).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks for the advice Don! Any advice on how to make the connection to the outboard? I'm having trouble finding any quick connect fittings. Thanks!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
    Yes, probably good advice. Unfortunately non-ethanol gas is hard to find around here and I avoid E-10 in boats completely regardless of treatments. I usually get much more boating in so normally this would not be a problem for me. It does bring up good information for winter storage though.
    You need stabilizer with all fuel, ethanol and non-ethanol alike. Octane degradation occurs with either one and that's the reason stabilizer is recommended every time you refuel.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

In YOUR case, for YOUR purposes, you could simply plumb from the tank to you existing primer bulb.

You've also got a PM.

13. Member
    All of the portable tanks I have found so far have a 1/4" pickup tube. If I'm supposed to have 3/8" line from tank to primer bulb, I think I might end up with a fuel starvation issue on my hands. Any ideas? Looking at the Mercury tank I posted above and several Scepter/Moeller tanks available from West Marine.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1/4" NPT is the normal THREAD side on a portable tank. Pickup tube is very likely a larger ID than you are thinking...

15. Banned
    I would do as Don recommended and run some stabilizer with fresh gas pump tank into cans and do not use in your outboard , you can ad a little at a time to your truck and mower if it is premix or straight. Always keep some form of stabilizer in your boat and it can be sea foam or any other .Even with sea foam or any other I would not let sit more than two months and burn it in an outboard , get a cheap electric pump and keep for this occasion.

16. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys! I got a fuel pump for Christmas so I'm good to go there, just need to figure out what to do with the aged gas. Not sure about adding it to my truck. Might try that route though. Its not pre-mixed so I'm good to go. Lots of lessons learned here. I normally don't have this length of time not using the boat so this layup period is new for me. I'll be using stabilizer and cleaner from now on.