USA New member, Champion '89 201 dcr ?s

Hello,
    just signed up and already loving this site.

HELP, my '89 201 dcr live well system is inop....it fills on its own when on the lake, drains on its own when I throttled up. Starboard pull/push valves seem inop. I don't know which transom drain/fill holes are which and when to plug. If anyone has complete system diagram it would b much appreciated. Sorry...this is my first bass boat....runs and rides amazingly, especially in rough water. Also, could it have oem hyd steering? there is what appears to b a pump under drivers console behind steering wheel but when driving it doesn't feel like hyd. is op.

I'm remodeling entire boat: Seats installed, old carpet removed, marine primer applied to all surfaces previously carpeted and new carpet now being reinstalled; Will b installing HB 899si and 859, wet sanding and polishing hull, plugging up useless front livewell (when I learn how) 2 b used for storage, extending casting deck and adding lids for storage, adding interior LED lighting, recessed TM pedal....ect.

Thanks in advance, boat is new to me.
    OlChamp (Mark)

USAF vet '83-87, I have a son that's a pilot in Navy...deployed twice...plz pray for these guys...way underfunded and scrounging for aircraft parts. he made 3 emergency landings in less than 1 yr because of repeated parts failures...they can't get basic funding for critical mission needs...ie: parts. Also, Navy implemented affirmative action plan that's literally caused deaths and unfairly held back the most talented. Just thought u all should know how depleted our services are and new policies killing morale.

2. Member
    Look on transom there should be a mesh wire or plastic screen to filter water going in the pump, if not throw the garden hose in and let her rip. This will tell you which fitting is the drain. If the valve wont close the cable probly failed only option is to remove and measure it. If your not planning on using the system just put corks in the fittings on outside to keep water out. Given the age of boat might want to consider bilge diving and just tear it all out and put new in and reseal everything good. Since you are on Kentucky lake I'd not chance old pump housings that could break and leak after running rough water.
    JMHO

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to the site and Champion family Mark!! I've a 1989 Champ 201 also. More than likely the live well drain valve is Kaput! The thru hull is the first one to the right of the bilge drain. The larger thru hull is for the livewell overflow. I've got an owners manual in a PDF format that I can email to you, just need your email addy. You can tell if it has hydraulic steering by looking at the front of the motor there will be a cylinder on the front side of the motor connected to the steering arm and two flexible hoses. If it is hydraulic there will be a fill port somewhere on top of the dash. It may be a no feed back system with dual cables. They are great boats!! I live in FL as well but up in the Panhandle area. If you have an air compressor, Harbor Freight sells an air powered water sander that does an excellent job and uses velcro sanding disk. Be glad to help anyway I can. BTW I'm USAF vet also 1976-1980.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here's my 1989 201 DC

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    ChampioNman
    Thanks for the prompt n friendly reply, always good to hear from a fellow vet.

My email is Broncocoltfan@gmail.com. That manual would b greatly appreciated. Im just ready to get back on the water. The boat's remodel will b done in steps so down time from the bass is minimal....besides they don't seem to mind my ugly boat��

6. Member
    I like that full casting deck...u do that yourself? PT lumber or aluminum frame? Nice boat!
    With my Yamaha 225 I can run 61 loaded up, but I don't have the correct prop setup to achieve higher speeds but don't think I'd gain more than a couple mph if I did. Others with same boat and HP r claiming 70s...wish I knew how. I've had my jackplate set a bit high for higher speeds. I believe i have too much prop slippage. Its not my worry right now as a I just want to finish up the carpet and get back on water and rarely run above 50mph. KY Lake get rough quickly and often in the main channel. FL lakes I've been on seem a bit more tame.

7. Member
    Scotty, thanks for the advise. I think I've learned the function of each transom drain now. I do plan on having entire livewell system redone as I'd like to do some tournament fishing.

8. Member
    ChampioNman, turns out I do have hyd steering, the fill port was tucked up under the console. Hopefully I can fill the system and it will begin functioning properly.

9. Member
    Welcome, lots of good info around here. Thanks to you vets for your service , look into the hydraulic steering systems bleeding procedure, very important step in getting the system working safely.
    Nelson

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olchamp View Post
    I like that full casting deck...u do that yourself? PT lumber or aluminum frame? KY Lake get rough quickly and often in the main channel. FL lakes I've been on seem a bit more tame.
    Actually nope just a frame made out of firring strips and 3/8" plywood all treated with waterproofing and epoxy resin. Two layers of glass cloth for strength and keeps the weight down. I used pieces of MinnKota trolling motor shafts for cross braces. Light weight and strong.
    Know what you mean about KY lake, been on it before.

You've got mail sent you your owners manual to you. Where abouts in FL is your southern house.

11. Member
    Welcome Mark, you will find that this site is one of the most friendly and helpful you can find. Lots of good info on Champions and engines. I am an also a AF vet from 69 to 72. I have a 91 201 with a 200 Johnson, I only wish mine looked like Championman's boat. Mine has newer seats and carpet on the decks but needs new floor carpet. I am going to have C and O Marine do that over the winter. I need to water sand and buff, but his year back problems have prevented it, but as you say fish don't care.
    Danny