Video recording update requested

It's been a good while since I've seen any posting on this subject so I guess nothing has changed. Last I saw Troy showed that iPhones/iPads worked well connecting through wifi and pressing on an icon of a camera to record the video. For the android phones/tablets to do the same thing required the installation of a 3rd party app to capture and record the video.

1. Are we any further along with the android devices?
    2. After it is recorded is there any software you recommend to edit/trim/splice the saved videos?

Thanks guys.
    Leonard

2. Member
    Nothing has changed with the android version of Helm. You still cannot record directly in the app.

I have been experimenting with several different screen recording apps on my LG G3 running the latest android version.

Lately, I have been using Screen Recorder- No Root by McTech. It seems to crash the least often and is fairly easy to set up and use. BUT - it only saves the videos tot he internal memory on the phone and cannot be changed to the sd card. So its gotta go. Not sure what I will try next. Im too iritated to get enthusiastic about recording videos to share when Garmn doesnt seem to care.
    Last edited by Larry3215; 07-30-2016 at 11:55 PM.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    What amazing timing. I got a notice from one of the other screen recording apps I had used that I thought didnt work. After doing what the dev suggested, it now works very well AND it has the option to save to the sd card. So, Im back to using ADV Screen recorder - at least for now :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...screenrecorder

4. Member
    This is still a major pain. To get a good recording you have to first set your screen so it wont time out or you get a black recording. Then you have to set the orientation to landscape and make sure its fixed or you get tiny video in the center of the screen. I had to add another app to do that!

5. Banned
    You can get an old iPhone for cheap. No need for any cellular plan or anything. Just use it to record

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    You can get an old iPhone for cheap. No need for any cellular plan or anything. Just use it to record
    Exactly, Troy..One of my Hi-Tech nieces provided me with her old i-Phone.The young folks have a bunch of "old stuff"..

7. Member
    I knew you were going to say that Troy.

Just so you know, its not really helping Garmin customer relations to keep telling people to go buy stuff so they can use "free" software that Garmin refuses to fix.

Pissing off customers is generally considered bad form when you are in sales. Most of the time it results in lost sales, not more sales.That seems to also be the attitude at garmin. "Oh, your too stupid to own an apple phone? Too bad for you. Just convert over and you will be fine. We are not interested in fixing the software we broke."

I dont want another device on the boat to have to keep track of and keep charged and store somewhere and keep from getting splashed with salt water when Im not using it. I dont want to learn a new operating system and a new file system or how to convert formats back and forth. I dont want to spend extra money to use a FREE program that Garmin broke.

The Android version used to record just fine and now its broken. Its NOT good customer relations to tell your customers to go spend money and go through extra trouble because you broke your own software and dont care about your customers enough to fix it.

Since you are in sales, I thought you might like to know these things just in case you care about customer relations and stuff like that.

8. Member
    Sorry for the rant, but - seriously Troy - you are not helping.

9. Member
    I understand completely. My sore spot is pressing the Home key for so long to get a screenshot and to top it off having to confirm an acknowledgement with another press. Look how long that issue has been out there and nothing done. I made a video or two using my Samsung and a secondary app installed just to experiment. That was back in March. For me, it's real simple. They don't have any interest in me making videos. Fine with me. Also I appreciate all the videos that Troy has made. Some were especially good. And Troy has a point that they are easy to do on iphone and that cheap used iphone 4's are available on ebay for around $75. I'll save the money to use on gear for me rather than Garmin marketing. I like what Garmin has done with these new units, transducers and Panoptix. On these two things though, I just don't see it dragging like it has.

10. Banned
    Well you can either keep waiting and complaining or do something about it yourself. The choice is yours. You can get an iPhone 5 for Very cheap. Or better yet, find you an older used iPod touch. You can get a 4th gen touch for around $46

I'd give you one but I gave all of mine away. I'd sell you an iPad mini but the old iPhone or touch would be cheaper. There are obviously not many android users who want to record or something. Android has the most market share but they always get the quality apps last. Why they removed the recording for the app, only they know
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 08-01-2016 at 09:38 AM.

11. Member
    Thanks for the almost offer (I actually mean that) but, like I have told you repeatedly - I dont want another device on the boat! Especially one that will force me to have to learn new crap I dont need or want to know and which only has one stupid purpose. Cheap or not isnt the main issue.

As a Garmin sales rep, I think your time might be better spent lobbying with Garmin to fix the software rather than telling customers to quite whining.

Seriously, some fake sympathy and a false promise to get on the phone with Garmin right away would be better than what you are doing. Thats one old salesman to another.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I understand completely. My sore spot is pressing the Home key for so long to get a screenshot and to top it off having to confirm an acknowledgement with another press. Look how long that issue has been out there and nothing done. I made a video or two using my Samsung and a secondary app installed just to experiment. That was back in March. For me, it's real simple. They don't have any interest in me making videos. Fine with me. Also I appreciate all the videos that Troy has made. Some were especially good. And Troy has a point that they are easy to do on iphone and that cheap used iphone 4's are available on ebay for around $75. I'll save the money to use on gear for me rather than Garmin marketing. I like what Garmin has done with these new units, transducers and Panoptix. On these two things though, I just don't see it dragging like it has.
    If you run across a good screen recorder app, let us know.

Im not interested in doing sonar recording at the moment. I am wanting to record how my new underwater camera works - if I ever get a chance to get back out. Thats partly why Im so grumpy with Troy. Havnt been fishing in waaaaaay toooo long!!

13. Banned
    The you obviously don't want to record that bad then. You asked for options that what I gave you. As of right now you can either find a cheap apple device or just continue to wait and complain. You 2 are the only ones who seems to care. Most don't even know what the helm app is much less what recording is.

Lw sent you a pm

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 08-01-2016 at 12:38 PM.