Thread: water pressure?

water pressure?

2014 250 sho . I'm only getting about 14 psi while running about 70 mph. Does this sound right. Coming out of a legend with 225 evinrude was about 25 psi at 65 mph. Boat has 26 pitch 3 blade prop and manual jackplate. Not sure of the prop to pad but water pressure seems low to me. Motor has 59 hours on it. Thanks . I'm turning about 5900 rpm.

2. Member
    With warm water yes.

From Yamaha's web site FAQ's:
    What is the minimum water pressure required for my Yamaha outboard(s)?
    All Yamaha outboards have a minimum water pressure of eleven (11) psi at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). There are no announced water pressure specs for low or mid-range operation at this time. This is due to our high volume low pressure cooling system design. In fact, you may see zero pressure at idle, as most water pressure sensors start working at 3-psi.
    Ray
    SemperFi
    2021 Lund 1875 Impact
    2021 Merc 150 4 Stroke

4. Member
    I wondered the same thing. My boat had a psi transducer to an electric gauge. I tee'd the water pressure tube and added a regular gauge. Mine runs 20 or so at wot now. My electric gauge at idle would barely register. The regular gauge at idle is about 3 psi. Pressure transducers unless expensive aren't very accurate and even then they can have issues. You can bet these transducers in bass boats aren't high end.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

5. Member
    BroWhoop
    I know this is an old thread, but I would be interested to know how you tee'd the water pressure tube and added a regular gauge.
    I would like to do this to my 2016 for peace of mind. Thanks,

6. Member
    Behind the dash console, easy access, at least on my boat. The water psi plastic tube goes to the transducer behind the dash. I left it in place, I just cut the hose and installed a tee. Run a short tube to mine gauge. You'll see, I installed a Command Link tach for hours, rpm, oil and water, also Bobs jp, and fuel gauge. Here's a photo of mine. 20230516_081743.jpg
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

7. Member
    Thats exactly what I had in mind. I will make a bracket to mount a gauge down near my right leg someplace. Access to the transducer is the same as yours, and I have already replaced the tranducer once.
    I have the temperature link on my Lowrance also. Thanks again,