Thread: Thanks Don

Thanks Don

Helped my uncle today change out a water pump on a Mercury 150 xr6. Ran into an issue when putting lower unit back on. Called Don and he advised me on what might work. It worked and reassembled everything. By the way Don, a broom handle and and a socket worked. Thanks again Don, JJ

2. Member

I certainly agree.....I've got several buddies that have old beater boats. They all love to play this game but have limited resources. Don has helped me keep them all going for many years now. He is a wealth of information and expertise and its amazing how he takes time to share it. He's a great asset to this site for sure....thanks Don.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're very welcome... glad to hear the old stick-trick worked.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Okay, I guess I'll be the first one to ask what the broom handle and socket trick is.... Never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitehead View Post
    Okay, I guess I'll be the first one to ask what the broom handle and socket trick is.... Never heard of it before.
    Beat at me to it...
    1989 Bass Cat Pantera II
    1995 Mercury Black Max 200 XRi - 0G201874

7. Member
    bet he says to line up drive shaft seal in adapter plate so you can install gearcase

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    bet he says to line up drive shaft seal in adapter plate so you can install gearcase
    Yes sir.

Unfortunately, when gearcases aren't removed ANNUALLY (and driveshaft splines lubricated with 2-4-C), OR when they are removed in an over-zealous fashion, the driveshaft spline seal (a carrier that presses into the end of the crankshaft) can become dislodged, trapped between the crankshaft and the adapter plate.

The "BOOK" repair is to remove the powerhead, install a new carrier and seal, and then reassemble.

With a little extra (or should I say a lot of) patience, it's possible to reinstall the carrier/seal with a home-fashioned wood or pvc driver.

It's a ONE-SHOT deal... line everything up and pray it goes in the first time.

Saves the effort of removing the powerhead if it works (for now, anyway). In my experience... powerhead will be coming off eventually to correct the problem more "permanently".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Is it obvious when this happens?
    I don't think I looked up inside toward the crankshaft when I have had the lower unit off of my 225 ProMax. I have always lubed the splines, and it has been removed slowly and without sticking.
    Good information above, thank you.

10. Member
    g case ds will not engage in crank splines

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    g case ds will not engage in crank splines
    When you say the driveshaft wont engage in the crank splines, would this cause a "pop" sound as if jumping gears? or would it just not engage causing the prop shaft/prop not to turn?
    1989 Bass Cat Pantera II
    1995 Mercury Black Max 200 XRi - 0G201874

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would not be able to get the gearcase to mate up against the driveshaft housing properly.

IE: Won't go all the way up where it should be, no matter what you do.

13. Member
    Thank you all for the reply's. I am a career automobile mechanic, ASE Master certified since 1987, and hold auto manufacturer master certifications as well, but haven't got the outboard experience I wish I had.
    Still a little intimidated by some things. With engines that spend time at their upper RPM limit, and are behind you where you cant really depend on hearing potential problems, mistakes can be catastrophic! Really appreciate the shared knowledge here.