Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I fish SF Bay and San Pablo Bay all the time and have found a couple things that really protect the boat and trailer:

1) Launch at a facility that has a washdown area, bring a hose and a Salt-a-Way mixture device to not only flush engines but washdown boat and trailer at end of day. I bring a brush on a pole to hit every part of the boat then rinse off with fresh water, boat, trailer, wheels, axles, etc.
    2) The most important point: Mercury or Quicksilver corrosion guard. BEFORE launching in saltwater when everything is dry AND AFTER washing down and everything is dry, spray corrosion guard on every piece of exposed metal- wheels, bolts, winch, tongue and very important all latches and hardware in your boat, anything a key fits into, every hinge. It takes just a minute, wipe behind with a rag. I'm telling you 100% this keeps saltwater form ruining your boat. It literally dissolves corrosion and prevents new corrosion. I spray my chrome wheels that used to have a bunch of rust and the rust is gone and lug nuts/studs look like brand new. It's a game changer for exposed metal parts. Don't spray your anodes though! Those are supposed to corrode.
    3) Do a quick detail of all fiberglass surfaces with Salt-a-Way and a towel. If it's sumertime and hot, rinse all carpeted surfaces with salt-a-way and then fresh water and let dry.

I don't have a "bass" boat but a multi-species, however it's all the same. You cannot run in saltwater and not take care of your boat. Salt-A-Way and Corrosion Guard are your boat's best friends.

Oh, and BTW, the motor is the least of your concerns. if you flush it, you are good. If concerned about that, ask over in the Mercury Motor forums you will be assured these motors can handle saltwater, you just need to flush properly, inspect things properly and add some anti-seize to your spark plug threads. (And Corrosion Guard to exposed metal parts - but not anodes)
    Last edited by JS!; 10-29-2022 at 12:21 AM.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

2. Member
    I bought a 1448 jon boat to take to Florida on vacation. I also just bought an 18' Smoker Craft to replace the jon boat. The jon boat boat has a 25hp mariner, 12/24 johnson trolling motor and a humminbird 898 graph along with a painted steel trailer. It's made about 8 trips in 5 or 6 years. There is 6 ramps on the bay and the one I use the most is in a freshwater creek, how convenient. I still use a couple of the others in the saltwater also. I fish all week, don't rinse anything except what I take on the beach. When I get home I take the boat to the lake and run it for 30 mins or so, dunk all the rods in the lake and stretch out the line to rinse it off too.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    It's saltwater, not acid. I used a 90's Tracker extensively in brackish and saltwater for years without any ill. Yes that includes the original tube Tracker trailer. Wash it, Flush the motor and quit worrying.
    Spot on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12