Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Trail rivets coming out of finders

hey guys I'm having a bad problem with the rivets coming out of my finders on the inside. I replaced some and what i replaced them with is scratching up my fiberglass. what should i be using to replace the rivets? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Sam Taylor
    Psalm 37:39

2. Member
    Do a Ranger fender search here lots of info...http://www.bbcboards.net/search.php
    1997 Ranger 482vs
    2013 150HO Etec
    Bassmaster Classic Edition

Try a larger head rivet a little longer than Ranger used and using a backing washer

When I replaced mine, I used stainless machine screws, washers, cupped washers and nylocks. No issues yet and its been a few years.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

5. Member
    Ditto for me on the ss machine screws,washers and nylocks.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
    When I replaced mine, I used stainless machine screws, washers, cupped washers and nylocks. No issues yet and its been a few years.
    this

+1...will last much longer than replacing rivets

8. Member
    What size n style did you guys use? Getting ready to recarpet mine.

This^^^. That's what I did with my R91 and they lasted for 14 years. If you snug the screws down tight, the fender washers and heads will be pulled down into the carpet and not scratch your hull.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    I replaced mine with stainless carige bolts

11. Member
    This is also the best option I have tried. Going on five years without any issues. Also easy to remove/reuse when you decide to replace the carpet.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smughal31 View Post
    hey guys I'm having a bad problem with the rivets coming out of my finders on the inside. I replaced some and what i replaced them with is scratching up my fiberglass. what should i be using to replace the rivets? Thanks in advance for any help!
    I got some long rivets online and bought backup washers for them so they won't pull out. I got some extras if you want to give it a try.

13. Member
    I used 10_24 1 1/2 . ss washer on bolt. And nut side with nylon locknuts. I like this method as I take my fenders off each winter to.wax behind the bunks.

14. Member
    Not sure what year yours is, but I know they used to rivet the board to both the fender and the flange on the trailer. The stresses from the vibration in the fender were causing the rivets to pop. When you fix them, only attach the boards to the fender itself.

I actually pulled the carpeted boards out and replaced them with 1/4" thick king starboard. I attached those with flat head stainless screws using large fender washers and nylocks on the back. I did it at the same time I replaced my carpeted bunks with Gatorbak's. No more carpet to hold water and cause rust! I love it now!

15. Banned
    How is the starboard holding up?

16. mikesxpress
    [QUOTE=519DVX;6919399]Not sure what year yours is, but I know they used to rivet the board to both the fender and the flange on the trailer. The stresses from the vibration in the fender were causing the rivets to pop. When you fix them, only attach the boards to the fender itself.

I actually pulled the carpeted boards out and replaced them with 1/4" thick king starboard. I attached those with flat head stainless screws using large fender washers and nylocks on the back. I did it at the same time I replaced my carpeted bunks with Gatorbak's. No more carpet to hold water and cause rust! I love it

David you have the clips that rest on the trailer and the fender board is slip fit into those clips? That along with the bolts is the way to go. Nice bunk install!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos H View Post
    How is the starboard holding up?
    Starboard is holding up perfectly. I absolutely have no regrets with this install. It does warp and get wavy a little in direct sunlight, but it goes right back. I have bumped it a little when loading in high cross winds and it doesn't hurt the hull at all.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    David you have the clips that rest on the trailer and the fender board is slip fit into those clips? That along with the bolts is the way to go. Nice bunk install!!
    Yes, I have the clips. They are loose and slide around some. I haven't figured out a way to keep those in place perfectly, but I'm not real worried about it. I haven't lost any.

Main reason I went with the Starboard is the amount of rust I had on the trailer frame. I did the repairs in spring of 2015, so the boat was 12 years old. It has lived its entire life in the garage, never been launched in salt water, and the frame was terribly rusted because the carpet holds water against the frame. I ordered a quart of paint and hardener from Ranger and had a guy I know clean up all the rust and repaint the frame under the fenders and the uprights. I also replace the bunk brackets, bunk boards, and hardware. Here's some Before and After pics....

19. Member
    I just pulled all my bunks and fender boards today.. My bunk boards are not rotted but gonna replace them when I install Gatorbac, what i am leaning towards.. The carpet on one of the fender boards at the top was toast from sun exposure via the prior owner.. What I did find was the brackets that bolt to the bunks then to the trailer were all rusted and toast.. In some cases it was basically held together by the road armor coating..

I do have the same problem on the steel piece that the bottom of the fender board is secured too.. Where a all the rivets were drilled thru is rusted on that flat piece.. Not sure its in the budget this year to take it and have it blasted down and redone..

20. Member
    All good replacing those boards with a Composite or plastic but be sure to clip your boat on the trailer before you pull it out. I saw a brand new Ranger about 50 ft up the ramp that slid off the trailer because the owner did not want any issues with blisters. His wife pulled him out and the boat just slid right off the trailer and she never looked back. It took two tow trucks to put it back on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast