Spinning rig for Pitching

What's a good spinning rod and reel combo for pitching and skipping shakey heads and light or weightless Texas rigs underneath docks etc?

Tried a 7' duckett. MED spinning Rod this weekend and just wouldn't get the job done. Also tried a bait cast combo not bad for pitching but not what I wanted for skipping.

You need a medium heavy or even heavy action (with a fast tip) spinning rod for pitching and skipping. Frankly, it's difficult to pitch or flip with a spinning reel. The sole exception is the old ABU 507. It's an underslung spin cast reel made for handling heavy line. There is an entire cult of Ohio guys who use this reel to pitch, skip, and flip finesse baits on spinning rods. The MK II version of these reels is fine, too. I did a search and see that ABU Garcia has come out with a new version of the 507 MK II and it looks pretty good. The only problem is the original 507 was discontinued in 1973. The original 507 MK II was only on the market a few years. The newer versions are only available in Europe, but can be bought through E Bay. The 507 is such a popular reel in Ohio that a friend of mine has become one of the world's leading experts on modifying these reels. He is a retired draftsman and makes after market parts. He has a version that he has cut the weight to only 7 ounces! Anyway, you can do a search and find out more info. But, if you're looking for a reel to pitch, flip, and skip with using a spinning rod, this is the only way to go.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Sounds like a cool reel. I think most of my problem was with Rod action. I can get by with a regular fast ratio spinning reel.

Thinking a 703 or 704 DOBYNS spinning Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post
    Sounds like a cool reel. I think most of my problem was with Rod action. I can get by with a regular fast ratio spinning reel.

I can't help you there, as I have little knowledge of Dobyns rods.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    The problem with a Duckett Rod is the micro's. Great on thecasting rods, but for lightweight finesse applications I find the spinning rodsaren't well suited for this application, counterproductive really.

Line type and LB Test plays a huge role in how you selectthe length and action of rod also. To each their own, but a rod with too muchback bone will definitely hinder your ability to skip or pitch as well.

I would say a good all round choice for this pattern is a6'8" - 7'2" MH Power MF Tip. Still enough back bone to get them outof there but not so heavy it hinders your pitch / skip. I prefer the MF tipbecause I find a rod with a little more "whip" to it allows you toload up better on a cast to really fling those light baits a lot better than astiffer rod.

Line. If you use a braid with floro / mono leader, then Iwould recommend finding a rod with oversized guides. Best rod I ever had forthat was a Quantum ??? Can't remember the model but it had a copper / goldencolored blank and the guides on it were huge. I had virtually no issues withthe knot catching when skipping docks.

However whether it Braid, Floro/Mono or a combination a rodthat hinders the flow of the line off the reel the least works best IMHO.

6. Member
    I use a St Croix 6' 8" Mojo spinning reel couple with a Stradic CI4 spinning reel. I skip docks all the time and for weightless wacky rigs, flukes etc, I find this to be perfect. The Mojo series isn't exoensive either.

Good luck.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

7. Member

My shakeyhead rod is a 7' MH Carbonlite with a Diawa Procyon 25. Great combo and the reel is outstanding. Operates great and the drag is very smooth.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    I use a 6'4" custom rod built on a HMX blank with a Shimano Stradic CI4 reel with 8 to 12 LB test. The lightest you can get away with
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade
    Dual Power Pole 10' Blade
    Humminbird 1198, 998, 360
    HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N, HELIX 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N

10. Member
    I really like dock skipping of weightless wacky rigs and find a shorter rod better for accuracy. I was using a 5'9" St Croix Avid, MXF. I broke it and have replaced it with a 6'3" St Croix Legend Tournament Bass, MXF. Reel is a Stradic 2500 CI4. I am also short, about five feet seven.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    7o’/

12. Member
    Like others have said, a Medium to MH spinning rod and a good quality reel you should be fine. I know some guys who use only spinning tackle and they’ve won quite a bit of money. The biggest issue is you lose a lot of power and torque because of the reel type. I’m actually more accurate and can pitch farther with a spinning rod than I can with casting. It’s not nearly as subtle, but more accurate.

i personally use a St Croix 6’8” Medium “wacky” rod and 7’1 Medium Plastics for skipping and pitching weightless plastics to specific cover
    Last edited by ECobb91; 11-24-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

GLoomis IMX 843or 844 paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500HG. Plenty of backbone, yet soft enough tip. Great Reel with a smooth drag.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post

704 and or 705 dobyns champion spinning rod. I have both and depending on the size of fish you have and the type of cover will dictate if you should go up to the 705.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

15. Member
    ALX SpinSkip
    Expride A 68 MH (If you can find one)
    Poison Adrena 611 MH (use this for Fat Ikas a lot)

Dobyns Extreme 764SF - great for "spin pitching"
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100