Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop seems loose. Is this normal?

I have a 2004 Mercury Optimax 225 with tempest 25P prop. How much play should there be for the prop to move back and forth on the shaft? It moves 1/8" in and out. It seems the fold down ears that hold the nut on were not pressed down as much as they were last year when I re-torqued it.

The shaft itself will move about 1/16" in and out with prop off. Where's the thrust washer? I know that's probably a dumb question.

When putting it back on, any special grease or torque setting?

Here are some pics of the parts:

Last edited by Half-Moon; 11-06-2015 at 05:40 PM.

2. Member
    Prop shouldn't rub . Did you have it torque @ 100 ft pounds ....every thing looks good .Let Don Weed look at this . looks like it may be over tight .

3. Member
    should be 50lbs

4. Member
    mine moves about that much always has. and it should be 55lbs.

I keep seeing references to the thrust washer in other threads. Where is that?

6. Member
    Mine has a different hub than yours.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jentrick View Post
    mine moves about that much always has. and it should be 55lbs.
    This answer is not correct.

Your hub kit has a Conical filler sleeve, so the nut must be torqued to 100 lb/ft. Perhaps improper torque is one of the issues.

The thrust washer is currently on the prop shaft, but something may be wrong with it. The prop is definitely in too deep and should not rub on the carrier nut.

8. Member
    Take the rest of the Delron sleeve (that square black thing) out of the prop hub and clean all the grease and sand off the sleeve and out of the barrel. After cleaning it may set deeper in the prop hub and not hit the case. You may need a new prop hub kit if some of the parts are damaged.

After looking further, I can tell that the prop has been rubbing the LU where it's shiny. If course I'm sure you guys saw that right away! I'll clean it up and see if there's noticeable wear with grease removed.

10. Member
    Wal Mart Carb cleaner does a good job on all the parts and a thin coat of Mercury 2-4-C is a good choice or any grease and on the prop shaft .

11. Member
    Thats what Savage was talking about. Drive the rest of the Delron sleeve out of the prop clean all the grease off of it and out of the hub bore. Then reassemble it and put it on the shaft and see if it seats further in the hub when you tighten it up and spin it by hand to see if it still rubs. It could be the thrust washer that brass thing on the shaft is worn or the hub kit can be worn out. If it still rubs I'd replace the whole hub kit.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given the damage that is occurring, I would STRONGLY recommend you replace the ENTIRE hub kit, including the thrust washer.

When reinstalling the prop with the correct hub kit, torque to 100 lbs/ft.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 45 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Given the damage that is occurring, I would STRONGLY recommend you replace the ENTIRE hub kit, including the thrust washer.

When reinstalling the prop with the correct hub kit, torque to 100 lbs/ft.
    Could you advise a part number for that kit? Mine looks more cone shaped than the ones I'm pulling up on google. It's on the original 2004 Opti motor. Any reason to figure out why this is happening or should I just replace it and move on?

Thanks!

14. Member
    I would purchase a new kit, and make sure that you remove the old thrust washer.

15. Member
    Part Number:835257K6 should be the right kit. You may also find a number 835257Q6 and it's the same thing. This is the entire kit including thrust washer, delron sleeve, cone sleeve, nut, lock washer and metal sleeve. If it's the newer style the parts are made slightly different.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 11-08-2015 at 09:18 AM.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Part Number:835257K6 should be the right kit. You may also find a number 835257Q6 and it's the same thing. This is the entire kit including thrust washer, delron sleeve, cone sleeve, nut, lock washer and metal sleeve. If it's the newer style the parts are made slightly different.
    The primary difference in the newer hub kits is the locking ring (two large tabs, vs. the older star-washer design).

Same part number used- just a "running change" in the components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 45 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Update... Got a new hub kit. Looks like the shaft seal is toast. I checked the lower unit oil and there is some water in it. The new washer goes down fully on to the tapered part of the prop shaft and then there is about 1/4" of non-tapered prop shaft before reaching the gearcase. Does the seal take up that space?

Looks like the back inside part of the old thrust washer started wearing out and thus enlarging and sliding further forward. This allowed the prop hub and thrust washer to rub the gearcase. In the last pic, the screwdriver tip shows where the new washer stops.

Last edited by Half-Moon; 11-10-2015 at 09:39 AM.

18. Member
    Your old thrust washer was worn and allowed the prop to move forward. You'll need to have the case pressure tested to be sure it's the shaft seals or something else. Could be the seals under the drain plugs or drive shaft seal. Did you drain the oil out of the case? If you did you need to put oil back in the case so nothing rusts while it's setting empty.

I'm all for DIY, but I dropped it off at the shop today to get seals replaced. I'll post what comes
    of it. Thanks for the help so far!!

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Your old thrust washer was worn and allowed the prop to move forward. You'll need to have the case pressure tested to be sure it's the shaft seals or something else. Could be the seals under the drain plugs or drive shaft seal. Did you drain the oil out of the case? If you did you need to put oil back in the case so nothing rusts while it's setting empty.
    Exactly!

The thrust washer does not (or at least it SHOULD NOT) come into contact with the seal. There is an open gap between the seal and the thrust washer (nothing but the SHAFT is in that gap).

This is the reason why I firmly suggested (even when we talked on the phone) that you replace the ENTIRE hub kit, utilizing ONLY the components from the NEW KIT (starting at the thrust washer, and ending at the prop-nut).

Hopefully you DID refill the gearcase to prevent rusting/corrosion (which happens VERY rapidly if water was present, and case is left "void/empty") as mdtritn21 pointed out above.

Be sure to report back on the results of the pressure test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast