Thread: Mhx 873

Mhx 873

I'm looking to build a Rod on this blank and use it as a chatterbait/ worm rod. Has anyone built on this blank before that can give me some insight

2. Anglersedgecustomrods
    MB873?

its a good blank for the money.I like the high mods better.

3. Member
    Yes sir that blank

4. Member
    Chatter bait yes worm NO! I have that blank in the hi mod version and it's a good worm rod for the money but I would never use any standard MHX blank for a worm rod.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman custom baits View Post
    Chatter bait yes worm NO! I have that blank in the hi mod version and it's a good worm rod for the money but I would never use any standard MHX blank for a worm rod.
    This is news to me... The 873 might be one of the most versatile rod in the whole line up. I have thrown a Swing head, devils horse, trap, chatter bait, sq bill, spinnerbait, football jig, fat ace... etc on braid or fluro and it excelled with all of them.

Everyone has their opinions and I certainly respect that but I would never hesitate to throw a texas rig worm on an MB873.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/theadamsprojectfly
    Instagram: theadamsproject

6. Member
    Nativejax I replied to your Insta about the pink grips! They have inspired me to build a mb 873 in hot pink/ silver/ black. Does anyone have a good video on marbling?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hbnel5on View Post
    Nativejax I replied to your Insta about the pink grips! They have inspired me to build a mb 873 in hot pink/ silver/ black. Does anyone have a good video on marbling?

PM sent.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/theadamsprojectfly
    Instagram: theadamsproject

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativejax View Post
    This is news to me... The 873 might be one of the most versatile rod in the whole line up. I have thrown a Swing head, devils horse, trap, chatter bait, sq bill, spinnerbait, football jig, fat ace... etc on braid or fluro and it excelled with all of them.

Everyone has their opinions and I certainly respect that but I would never hesitate to throw a texas rig worm on an MB873.
    It's news to me someone who is paid by MHX would disagree with my statement. versatile yes sensitive no. I have nothing against MHX blanks I have a MB874 and MB904 for frogs a SB812 for top water a CB967 for deep cranks a SJ8600 for light cranks a S842 for panfish and a HM MB873 and HM P903 for bottom contact baits. I wish the standard MHX were sensitive enuff for me I could save a whole lot of money.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman custom baits View Post
    It's news to me someone who is paid by MHX would disagree with my statement. versatile yes sensitive no. I have nothing against MHX blanks I have a MB874 and MB904 for frogs a SB812 for top water a CB967 for deep cranks a SJ8600 for light cranks a S842 for panfish and a HM MB873 and HM P903 for bottom contact baits. I wish the standard MHX were sensitive enuff for me I could save a whole lot of money.
    I think he got confused. I'm guessing he was under the impression that you didn't recommend the MB873 for worm fishing.
    I'm further guessing that what you meant was that you don't recommend the standard modulus blank, but rather the high modulus blank.
    I would agree with that assessment. Of course, that would only be if MHX were the only brand available to choose from.
    Since Chris is in Oviedo, he could head over to Mud Hole (same city) and pick up the St Croix 5C70MF. It is a better blank to be sure.

10. Member
    Interesting comparison of blanks the St. Croix sells in the mudhole catalog for 205.00 while the standard 873 is 62.50....one would hope that the St. Croix would be better...lol

11. Member
    What doesn't make sense to me is I have built a mb 903 and a mb843 and I haven't hAd any issues with sensitivity? I thought the 843 is a very sensitive blank actually.

12. Member
    I think they are very nice and plenty sensitive for the price point, obviously there is a ton of differing opinions on rods....now ya know why it seems like everyones in the biz...lol

13. Member
    Guys ... quit referring simply to the taper "MB", length "87" and power "3". There is more to it. MHX, for example, offers different models of the MB873.
    They offer a MB873-MHX and a HM-MB873-MHX. Two different blanks in respect to sensitivity. The latter is over half an ounce lighter and about 40% more expensive.

14. Member
    A high mod gen 2 in that blank is just over 100 bucks...so it is still almost 100 dollars less than an SC5 model St. Croix...like I referred to before a "standard" 873...and I still would hope that a blank double in price would be somewhat better, lol...I agree with the fella that started the thread I think they are plenty sensitive...but then again I grew up catching them on fiberglass blanks so I know what a bite feels like, we have it made today we can pick and choose from tons of awesome sticks.