Thread: Oil Chart

Oil Chart

Bought the wrong oil due to label confusion, so I did a little research. Maybe others can find this useful.

MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for posting- should help folks identify more easily!

Added a link to this post in the 3L "FAQ" section, also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    HOOOOolllllld On There! Why so many different kinds of oil????? And what do I need for my afore mentioned 1984 90 inline 6? (6436389)

4. Member
    I believe that chart actually only represents three different oils, each box is the same oil just retailed or package differently. Don?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Loco View Post
    HOOOOolllllld On There! Why so many different kinds of oil????? And what do I need for my afore mentioned 1984 90 inline 6? (6436389)
    You could run the PREMIUM, but for best results, Premium PLUS would be an excellent choice.

The charts shown above reflect bottling that is available only through Mercury Dealers, Quicksilver products offered through Mercury Partners, and Quicksilver Products offered through major Retail Chains (not at all affiliated with Mercury).

Different VOLUME sizes are shown (Gallon and 2.5 Gallon).

The charts also show/reflect part numbers for OLDER bottling/labeling, in each line of product.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Banned
    Just another reason I run Pennzoil Premium Plus. A lot less confusing. I don't know why Mercury would want to use so many different packages.

12 years of Pennzoil Premium Plus with no issues and many many hours. 2003 XR6

7. Member
    Dittos on the pennzoil premium plus!
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

The gallon I got from Wal-Mart has a Part # of 8M0116274 which is not on the chart. It is labeled Advanced Premium Plus. Is that the same as Premium Plus?
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

9. Member
    Yes the same as the Premium Plus, that chart is over 4 years old so I’m sure it’s changed.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Thank you. With what these motors cost, I wanted to make sure I'm using the right stuff.
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

11. Member
    Not sure if I should post this in the 3.0 forum or here, move if needed. New to me 2011 ProXS 1B840753 the previous owner ran DFI oil. Was told I could run Optimax oil? Didn’t see an answer in this sticky, Thanks in advance, I can’t get the bold print to go away, sorry

Please delete, I found my answer in another topic in this sticky. Thanks again
    Last edited by NitroNew; 10-29-2022 at 01:11 PM.