Quicksilver battery isolator 8m6001343

Lost charging on my 2014 300 verado pro serial 2b037460 while on a trip and had to cut it short. After arriving home I started to diagnose thinking alternator.
    I found voltage from alternator at stud and followed this to an isolator of which I had no clue what it was. Researched that and found it was to allow charging of two batteries, which I have for starter,and kicker linked to power steering from verado. The isolator was found to be receiving the charge but wouldnt distribute it.
    Question is this......
    Is this isolator the right one for my application at 95 amps. The 2 batteries are Sears PM1 31 and Interstate AGM 31. I see there is different amp ratings on isolators and I want the one that works. I am not happy a "made in china" part made me cut my trip short.
    Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First and foremost: Let's confirm the EXACT voltage reading at the large output terminal of your ALTERNATOR, with the engine running at idle. This is CRITICAL.

VERADO engines are to be rigged to ONE DEDICATED CRANKING BATTERY per ENGINE. Clean Power and Power Steering wiring MUST be directly attached to this SAME battery.

NO other engine's positive cable connections should be attached to the Verado's Cranking Battery.

Battery isolators are indeed sold by a number of companies, including Mercury. They are, however, NOT recommended for this application, as they can cause substantial problems with VERY critical shift/throttle/steering systems.

Also recommend you ensure your connections at the PM-1 are done with a set of THESE:

marineterminal.jpg

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Testing at stud showed just over 17 volts. Of course this charge went nowhere because the isolator wouldnt let it.

Update: After disconnecting alternator wire from isolator and running direct to battery #1 the reading at the output stud was 14.45

As far as rigging. This was done by the Ranger dealer. It is done this way because when running the kicker motor we need the power steering pump to run for steering the kicker. Both motors are tied together for steering purposes.
    I assume that the isolator was included/installed along with kicker module kit 897478K01. Because I troll for extended time periods, it creates a large draw on the battery. This is why 2 batteries are needed. I have no idea how #2 is wired but it has a wire from isolator output and one from to perko battery switch.
    The Verado and its accessories run off of one of the batteries only. There is a perko selector switch to turn 1, 2, or both batteries on or off.
    When your on a trip with no dealer access it is good to know the systems on your boat. You may be able to rig something to get you home or make it through the trip. In this case I did not know about the isolator. I think I could have removed the alternator wire from it and directly tied it to the main verado battery. This would have given me charging again as long as I switched the second battery off.
    I also have found out that my verado has a 70 amp alternator which is likely the reason for the 95 amp isolator. Its the "made in China" thing that bugs me and ruined my trip.
    Last edited by bloodman; 08-12-2015 at 10:06 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If I were rigging this setup, it would be configured a bit differently.

Isolator would be located BETWEEN the two batteries... and another blocking diode circuit rigged into the pump activation circuit, allowing the steering pump to operate from either engine (without backfeeding to the Verado).

This would keep the VERADO's charging and starting circuits connected "as designed from the factory".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don, I think a full write up on rigging tie bar attached kickers to verados would be super helpful. I work at a Lund dealer, the manufacturer rigs the boats as describe by the op. Still ten years later mercury does not have a set in stone rigging procedure. How do we find a way to keep the batteries charged/charging when trolling? There has to be a good way to rig both starting batteries and find a way to charge the main verado battery. That steering system even drains a pm1 while trolling, the small charging system on a 9.9pro kicker can't keep up with the verado steering draw.

Thanks.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So are we RUNNING the Verado while trolling (perhaps at idle)?

I agree... the Pro Kicker's charging system can't keep up with the demands of the steering pump... requiring the Verado's alternator to replenish the cranking battery.

Another item to consider is that the Verado's steering system DOES act as a standard Hydraulic system, even with the engine not running (though it does require considerably more effort).

If one of you want's to snap a few pictures of the engines, battery configuration, etc... I'll be happy to draw out a rough sketch of how "I" would recommend rigging the system...

Kicker module kit 897478K01
    It allows the power steering pump to run with only the kicker running. Nothing is on for the Verado. The kicker is not strong enough to replenish the battery while using the steering pump. Over the course of the day the kicker steering can deplete the battery, thus the need for 2 big batts. The isolator, which is part of kit 897478k01 allows the verado to put some charge in each battery independentlywhen the verado is running.
    Please look at the kicker module kit 897478k01.
    Not sure if the pictures will help because my two batteries are in separate compartments. I can tell you this much though. All connections for the verado, kicker, pumps, graphs, ect are on the verado battery, The second battery is on a Perko switch that is only activated in the battery 1 & 2 or #2 battery switch positions. The isolator has the main wire from the verado alternator with a lead then going to each of the 2 batteries for isolated independent charge from verado.

8. Member
    I wish we had a kicker boat left in stock. I'll get pics of our demo when it comes back in. I really wish the pro kickers came with an alternator. That would solve all the verado problems. I know most running the verados would pay the extra $$$ to have that option.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by btsmbass View Post
    I wish we had a kicker boat left in stock. I'll get pics of our demo when it comes back in. I really wish the pro kickers came with an alternator. That would solve all the verado problems. I know most running the verados would pay the extra $$$ to have that option.
    I know I sure would!!!!!

10. Member
    Hi is there any write up's on wiring the kicker motor with the 300 Verado and an isolator with dedicated battery? I recently bought a 15hp kicker and want to install it on my ranger 621 with 300 v-rod the correct way. Thank you

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter08 View Post
    Hi is there any write up's on wiring the kicker motor with the 300 Verado and an isolator with dedicated battery? I recently bought a 15hp kicker and want to install it on my ranger 621 with 300 v-rod the correct way. Thank you
    Please read the response in the other post you commented in. Open a separate thread for your engines, and provide the required info. Will be more than happy to assist.

12. Member
    My 350 Verado 2017 vintage ser. #2b413760 is doing the same thing. Do these isolators go bad? What else could change, Verado worked for a few years now draws while running rather than charging.

Quote Originally Posted by clawman View Post
    My 350 Verado 2017 vintage ser. #2b413760 is doing the same thing. Do these isolators go bad? What else could change, Verado worked for a few years now draws while running rather than charging.
    Yes they do. If you have an isolator, test as stated above.

14. Member
    I unplugged three wires (red,white, grey female side) in the 9.9 kicker so the power steering pump does not run when the kicker is running. Could that cause the problem that the Verado is draining the battery?

15. Member
    I'm looking for the wire diagram. The female red, white, grey wires plug into male wire purple, grey, and black but which combination?

I unplugged three wires (red,white, grey female side) in the 9.9 kicker so the power steering pump does not run when the kicker is running. Could that cause the problem that the Verado is draining the battery?
    No. You only need to unplug the grey wire in that case. Check the terminals on the isolator.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you go to a lot of trouble on this, check the following AT THE ALTERNATOR:

1. Key ON, engine OFF: Voltage at the small RED and small PURPLE wire in the connector plug

2. Voltage at the LARGE RED wire output terminal

3. Start engine, run at idle for 3-5 minutes and check voltage AGAIN (engine running) at the RED OUTPUT TERMINAL.

Report back with results- by starting your own, separate thread for your engine (rather than posting in someone else's).

18. Member
    Basically had the same issue, on the same boat. The isolator was bad and not letting the charge from the 300 Verado get to battery 1. If I had it set on battery 2 it would charge that battery. Took it in to my Ranger dealer and they diagnosed the bad isolator and replaced it, all good now.

19. Member
    Would an ACR be a better choice than an isolator? They seem more robust to me but not sure if there would be an issue in these types of setups.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally would recommend the Isolator in this case.