HDS screen size for RT188, Ulterra TM and Talon mount questions...

Hey guys,

Just like the title says, I'm trying to figure out two things and would love some feedback...

1) I'd prefer the HDS unit be flush on the console of my incoming RT188 but I think the HDS7 is too small, so planning to mount the HDS9 on a bracket. I really like the 12 but I think it's way too big and would look a bit awkward.

Where I'm not sure is the bow, specifically on the RT188. Would you go with the HDS9 or 12 up front? Is there enough room for the 12 for it not to get knocked around? Let me know what you think.

2) I ordered my boat with the Fortrex TM upgrade at the factory but thinking about letting it ship with the standard TM and having the dealer put on the Ulterra. Love the capabilities and it sounds like they've ironed out a lot of the kinks.

Anyone running this on a similar boat? Unfortunately Ranger won't install it at the factory which kind of sucks, but whatever.

3) I also ordered the 4" hydraulic jack-plate and it seems like there are no mounting holes on the sides. Dealer told me they'd have to do the sandwich mount and take off the motor/jack-plate when the boat arrives to install. Any other options here? Is this advisable? I wanted to avoid taking everything apart on a new boat.

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Member
    I would contact Van at BBT, I do think he makes a console mount for a 188 now. He also has a real nice angle mount for the bow electronics.
    You do know if you have a cover ordered it will not fit if you put the Ulterra on, you can take it to a canvas shop and get it to fit, we have ran into that a few times.
    Congrad on the new rig, those are fine boats for sure.

I have the HDS 7 touch in the bow of my boat and I kinda wish I went ahead and got the HDS 9 instead. I have the 9 at the console and really like the bigger screen. When you start splitting screens, the 7 is a bit small. Of course the $$$ that goes along with it is something worth considering.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    I would contact Van at BBT, I do think he makes a console mount for a 188 now. He also has a real nice angle mount for the bow electronics.
    You do know if you have a cover ordered it will not fit if you put the Ulterra on, you can take it to a canvas shop and get it to fit, we have ran into that a few times.
    Congrad on the new rig, those are fine boats for sure.
    Yes, that is what I was planning for the console mount, just trying to figure out the best size. I think the 9" is probably best there and will definitely work for the bow, I was just wondering if the 12" would work on the bow ok as well or if it was too big. Not for the mount but in actual usage...not sure if anyone has it up there and have it get in the way.

Thanks for the tip on the cover regarding the Ulterra...that would have been a surprise. What causes the fit issue?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    I have the HDS 7 touch in the bow of my boat and I kinda wish I went ahead and got the HDS 9 instead. I have the 9 at the console and really like the bigger screen. When you start splitting screens, the 7 is a bit small. Of course the $$$ that goes along with it is something worth considering.
    Yeah, definitely doing the 9 at the minimum even though the 7 is quite nice. Really just deciding if the 12 is worth it or if it was physically too big (for this boat). Don't want anything to look really out of place or actually get in the way, especially up front.

I'd go with touch 9's at bow and console on BBT mounts if funds permit. They are pretty slick.
    Last edited by MBragg8; 08-06-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Fixing my stellar typing!

On the Ulterra the cover may not fit because of how far it extends forward from the bow then a cable steer. I suggest if you decide to go with the Ulterra you get a retractable mount which when retracted allows it clear the bow roller when launching which has been an issue with the glass models also when tying up to a dock without the retractable mount you have to tie parallel with the front and back cleat or the motor may get damaged by wakes . Here is a link to a model made by Skeeter boats as of now Minn-Kota does not offer a retractable mount for the Ulterra because of it's extra weight over the Terrova but the Skeeter mount is heavy duty and will work. http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-...vahenberg.html

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

Attachment 192146Attachment 192147Attachment 192148I started with an HDS7 flush mounted in the console and over time upgraded to an HDS9 Touch on a Precision Sonar bracket. I also have an HDS9 T on the bow on a Precision Sonar Bow bracket. I think the HDS12 would fit the Bow without any interference but on a 2015 or 2016 model, you will need the taller bow bracket. BTW - You will also need the 2 Inch steering wheel spacer with the Precision Sonar console bracket.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    I have a Lowrance HDS-12 on the bow with BassBoatTech 4" Angle Bow Mount Bracket on My 2015 RT188 Ranger Aluminum - Very Sturdy High Quality Mount

I also have the NEW BassBoatTech Dual Lowrance HDS-9 Touch mount that is awesome I will get some pictures posted on here as soon as I can

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post
    Yes, that is what I was planning for the console mount, just trying to figure out the best size. I think the 9" is probably best there and will definitely work for the bow, I was just wondering if the 12" would work on the bow ok as well or if it was too big. Not for the mount but in actual usage...not sure if anyone has it up there and have it get in the way.

Thanks for the tip on the cover regarding the Ulterra...that would have been a surprise. What causes the fit issue?
    Because the bracket set so far out on the bow, you might want to get a quick release mount then you can take the trolling motor lose and use your cover.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post
    3) I also ordered the 4" hydraulic jack-plate and it seems like there are no mounting holes on the sides. Dealer told me they'd have to do the sandwich mount and take off the motor/jack-plate when the boat arrives to install. Any other options here? Is this advisable? I wanted to avoid taking everything apart on a new boat.
    Anyone have feedback on this question? Have to decide what to do here...

I can chime in on the unit at the wheel. I run a 1199 on a dek it mount on the dash. It's not really awkward and its an extra wind breaker.