Thread: Diabetes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Get on a keto diet and exercise and reverse the diabetes
    Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

2. Member
    do the exercise and watch what you eat. I have got my numbers so under control and now eat good but healthy dont miss my old ways feel better now and I am knocking on 70 then I did at 55 when I became a diabetic. May seem like the end of the world at first but if you really want to control it then just set your mind to it and do what you need to do. It becomes easy very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster;[URL="tel:12740165"
    12740165[/URL]]You can reverse Type II diabetes eating a ketogenic diet. It is really an easy diet to maintain. I lost 80lb and dropped my A1C to 5.4 in the first year and a half. Been doing it for almost 4 yrs now.
    Who don’t love eating meat and fat. Butter beef and eggs. Really easy.

I thought Germany was doing surgery to replace human pancreas with a pig's pancreas to solve diabetes? No?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    I thought Germany was doing surgery to replace human pancreas with a pig's pancreas to solve diabetes? No?
    Canada has the world's leading technology involving islet cell transplant.
    However, the need for human islet cells is a challenge, they're harvested from donated organs.
    And the process isn't perfect. Stem cell therapy will likely end up the answer.

6. Member
    Just Keto won't solve the issue

How’s that?

8. Member
    Lift weights! More muscle = more cells to intake insulin and more receptors on those cells. Your body will be able to utilize the glucose better. Obviously have to eat better too.

9. Member
    The weight gain after quitting smoking two years ago has caught up with me. Ft Campbell hospital found I was diabetic, they have me going monthly to meet a dietician. The dietician checks my body fat with something called a “Bod Pod”, they also check my metabolism once a quarter. I’m now on 2,000 metformin and Trulicity. The Trulicity makes it pretty easy not to eat excessively. I’ve already brought my fasting numbers from the high 150’s back to the 120ish. I go to the gym three times a week.

I’ve done keto twice in my life for over a year. I LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT! But, as soon as I start eating carbs (your body naturally craves carbs) the weight I lost plus some come back. The dietician can measure weight loss by muscle or fat with the Bod Pod. They have evidence that you’ll lose muscle with keto. That makes no sense but it seems to be true. With the meds out right now you have to make yourself eat smaller or you’ll be sick because your stomach empties so slow and hopefully learn how to relearn how you eat.

The finger sticks first thing in the am are the worst part for me. Learning to eat less and be healthier is a bonus.

10. Member
    Make sure you get an Endocrinologist they specialize in Diabetes.

11. Member
    All medications affect all people differently. Just keep track daily on how you feel and what has changed physically with your body. Shorter interval regular checkups until you settle on a medication that is right for you. DON'T be afraid to call the Dr if you notice something strange. I have been dealing with Type 2 for 28 years, it's just a thing now, like putting on a life jacket to fish...

12. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I read 50% of Americans are pre diabetic or diabetic, and many don't even know it. I recently started using a continuous glucose monitor to see how my body reacts to different foods. It's enlightening, and it's no wonder we're all sick.
    Thanos was the hero

13. Member
    Go to youtube and search beat diabetes there is a minister that will teach you how to truly wipe it out. I reversed type 2 diabetes in 6 months. Walking and the right foods anyone can fix it. Dr. Jason Fung I also followed his channel on Intermittent fasting. Is there a little sacrifice...yes but anything worth doing will be difficult. Go into it with the right mind set you'll knock it out of the park. You got this stay strong god bless.

14. Member
    I go in and out of Type II diabetes. I very recently got some SHITTY numbers from my blood work. I had been eating like a PIG. I'm on a healthy kick right now. I have oatmeal or Cheerios for breakfast, etc. No fried food, no sodas, zero bread intake and walking will bring me back inline with good numbers. I've been doing this for 10-12 years now. You, as do I, have complete control over what we put in our mouths...

Eat healthy and get some form of exercise! Good luck!
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

15. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    I go in and out of Type II diabetes. I very recently got some SHITTY numbers from my blood work. I had been eating like a PIG. I'm on a healthy kick right now. I have oatmeal or Cheerios for breakfast, etc. No fried food, no sodas, zero bread intake and walking will bring me back inline with good numbers. I've been doing this for 10-12 years now. You, as do I, have complete control over what we put in our mouths...

Eat healthy and get some form of exercise! Good luck!

Just an FYI according to a company called Levels, who sells an app for using continuous glucose monitors, Cheerios is one of the worst foods for breakfast and spiking glucose. Levels has a few hundred thousand people wearing the monitors and sharing data. Cheerios was in the top 10 worst foods in their study. I know from my monitor, oatmeal is terrible for me. And I'm talking plain oatmeal.
    Thanos was the hero

Watching carbs helps keep mine in line and lost 40 lbs and have kept it off when I started watching them.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

17. Member
    Mine was found at 10 (A1C) and is now 5.6 . Took only about 6 months to get it down and I do feel much better. Still cheat but limit that to a couple times a week. For instance a bowl of ice cream. Once you kick the sugar out of your life you really don’t crave the taste of real sugar.

18. Member
    Thanks, boneil. I'll look into this...
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I read 50% of Americans are pre diabetic or diabetic, and many don't even know it. I recently started using a continuous glucose monitor to see how my body reacts to different foods. It's enlightening, and it's no wonder we're all sick.
    I knew that number is high, but 50% seems a little too much, right? My wife was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 two years ago but she lives kinda normal life. Some dieting of course, controlling sugar level all the time and she needs to buy victoza online once in a couple of months. Other than that no too many difficulties.
    Last edited by RockOn; 03-30-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Best advice I can give comes from (unfortunately) personal experience. I was diagnosed in 2006 and had likely already been Type II for a couple years. I really didn't make any changes for about 6-7 years. And, I'm paying for it now. I've dealt with diabetic retinopathy (I have some mild to moderate permanent issues, including a blind spot that will never heal), neuropathy (still dealing with this to a point) and now my liver is in Stage 4 cirrhosis due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I have to have my abdomen drained about every 10 days because my liver doesn't work well at all and will wind up on the national liver transplant list within the next year. If I can't get a new liver or have a TIPS procedure, the liver disease will kill me. I'm 55 in a couple days and may be lucky to make it to 60. DO NOT **** around with diabetes...it WILL kill you, in many different ways, and very slowly, if you don't get it under control. But, there is good news too!!

For 95+% of people, it is reversible. My A1c was over 10 when I started, and is 5.1 now. It's been under 6 for over a year, and I'm no longer on any diabetes meds whatsoever. Take the Metformin or Janumet and Victoza or something to get it under control, but get off the meds as soon as you can. The Metformin is poison for your liver. I've lost over 70 pounds since I started. I'll describe what worked for me, even though it might not work for all. Begin by learning to eat until you are no longer hungry, rather than until you're full. There is a HUGE difference between the two. "Fork downs" and "pushbacks" (from the table) are two very important exercises to learn. Do away as much as possible with simple carbs. For me, this was a bigger difference maker than the sugars, even though I limit those much more too. Read a book called "Wheat belly". Physical exercise is also important but you don't need to be a body builder. I started with 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week on the treadmill at a brisk walk (about 3 MPH) at a 5 degree incline. Since then, I've added about an hour of weight work 3 days a week in the afternoons. You won't realize how shitty you've felt until you don't feel that way anymore. Even a loss of 20-30 pounds makes a very large difference. And if you smoke, STOP. I smoked a pack a day or more for almost 40 years, and quit cold turkey on January 2, 2023 @ 0930. Haven't had one since. If you truly want to quit, you can.

I wish you all possible success and would like for you to update us on your progress if you don't mind. Whatever you do, PLEASE, don't ignore this or think it's not a big deal. I beg you to make the necessary changes...both for yourself and your loved ones. God bless you and get on and stay on a good path! You CAN do this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast