1650 hyperlift w/ F70 prop

my first post....I'm looking for some recommendations for a prop for my boat.

who has this same combo?? I really dont want to 'try' a bunch of different pros and hoping to some ideas on where to start.

Thanks!!

2. Member
    I've had a 1650hj ........ but not with a F70 ...... rather a C75.

http://www.bbcboards.net/xpress-boat...t-project.html

You in SC??????
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    yep, not too far north of you

4. Member
    I take it that it's your thread on SCD?????

Rakers, Pro Series, Trophy and Renegade ran the best on my boat and Wetreed's. I would have loved to have ran a TRO4 on that boat. Rakers and Renegade will require a hub change and being creative with thrust washers/etc to make it fit. Trophy just needs a hub kit. We turned 20's and 21's ..... but our gears were 2.0 and Wetreed's motor wasn't exactly 75hp.

How long have you had this boat???? And have you ever set it up for performance before??? The reason I ask is due to what we've found with the 16' hull. It's weight sensitive and to get good performance regardless of condition or setup, you really need a hydraulic jackplate. If not, then its a compromise. A manual jackplate set for top end speed is a porpoising beast at any other speed until you hit WOT/trimmed out. A nice 'fishing load' setup will not get you super high speed numbers .... on a manual jackplate.

5. Member
    Yep, that's me.

I've had the boat a while, but it had a stock 40 2 stroke on it. It was getting tired and I was able to get this f70.
    It is very weight sensitive for sure.
    I'm looking for more of a fishing load than all out speed with me and a gallon of gas. I normally have the wife and kid riding with me. No jack plate either, just a break away.
    I'm thinking 4 blade might be best.

6. Member
    I was wondering. I thought you had a like a 40 on it. But then I seen you and others mention a 60 lately in a few threads and I was totally confused. And the different versions of 'sheep' added to it. LOL. Sadly I don't spend near as much time on that board as I once did.

As for your boat, 'WetReed'/'1650HJ' and I spent a lot of time tweaking the 1650hj hull that he and I owned. Despite what some say, a 70 2 stroke WILL out run a 59ci Merc running 60-carbs. We seen that first hand. With that said, the 75 & 75-turned-90 runs even better. Thus I would think a f70 would run pretty good once it gets broke in. 4 blades run really nice on this hull due to the added stern lift helps the mid-range motors lift that hull up onto the pad, since speed alone doesn't get the hull on its pad until you hit about 43-44mph.

Look for a Trophy or TRO4, as they will fit mid-size HP gearcases and have great performance, unlike most props designed for mid-size motors (as they tend to be more of a 'general purpose' prop).

7. Member
    Bump.... Finally got the f70 going. It actually had a bad fuel pump form the factory....would not start out of the crate. I got that fixed(took about 3 weeks) and have about 5 hours on it so far.

It is certainly more powerful/faster than the 2005 60. I haven't really run it wide open yet, but with a light load and 19p aluminum prop it can run around 46. It seems to do this easily.

Would you think the f70 could turn a 20p 4 blade prop?? why are all the TRO4's i see only for big gear case?? Am I missing something?

8. Member
    The TR04 and the Trophy/Trophy Plus are a 'over-&-through' hub exhaust prop. They are designed to be an over-&-through for the V-6 gearcases, but also work as a traditional 'through hub' exhaust prop for mid-range HP gearcases. Thus I was running a Trophy Plus on my H50/C75.

The newer TR04's utilize Merc FloTorq hub system, thus I'd advise you to find one of those if shopping for a TR04 ..... that way you can make it fit easier to your F70.

With that said, Trophy's are more plentiful and run pretty good. The only difference between a older Trophy and the newer Trophy Plus, the 'Plus' will have the FloTorq hub system. As far as which prop exactly, it all boils down to your exact hull as to if it likes the Trophy or TR04 best. Regardless, the difference will probably be minimal.

As for your hull ....... my C75 (stock form and not hopped to 90) like a 20" Raker the best on that exact same hull (my 1650HJ, NOT the H50). The gear ratio on the F70 is lower, but the RPM's are higher. Thus a 20" might be right on the money, especially if you run a jackplate and optimize setup.

As far as SCD, I'm Browning Gold 3.5

9. Member
    Not sure if anyone is still following these threads, but wanting to repower a 1650HJ currently has a Yamaha f25 and it is a dog. The spec plate is not legible. What is the max hp rating? Not able to find any info online.

10. Member
    I can only imagine how miserable that F25 is on that hull!!! I say that only b/c when I bought my 1650HJ from a guy in Pennsylvania, it came with a 2 stroke Merc 30hp on it ..... and she could barely get out of her own way, especially with 2.

If it's a tiller, MOST of them (1650hj, 50hj, etc) maxed with a 50hp. If it has a side console, it could be a 60hp, 70hp or 75hp. The increase in HP for side console depends on the yr (meaning the exact model designation for the 16') and if the console was installed at the dealer or from the factory.

I needed an inspection plate for mine. I learned to just call the Xpress factory and try to get through to Customer Service. As bad as people used to say Customer Service was back then, my local dealers at the time were even worse (one of them still is). If you search hard enough online, you can find people that make inspection plates too, especially if you can supply them with all the info.

Keep in mind, if you want that boat to really perform up to it's potential (aka 'actually get up on the pad'), you need to be able to hit something like 43mph. At that point it steps up and really runs. What we found was it takes atleast a 50hp running light or more HP to get it there.

I hope this helps.
    -391v

11. Member
    What size setback jack plate is best for this hull. Did get a Suzuki 60 and have a bit of a porpoyproblem