Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrades to my Z20

I bought an 1199 to replace my 1197 last year and decided it was time to do a few upgrades and mods for this year. I added an 859ci at the console and an 959ci DI at the bow. I also did a few changes to the dash by moving the gauges and front bow panel. I used some scrap aluminum panels and made the dash and console panels. The 859 is attached to a 3/16 aluminum panel at where the guages use to be. The gimbal mount was cut down to give me extra room at the steering wheel. All aluminum panels are covered with 3M carbon fiber print. Also installed the ethernet 5 port box to connect them all together. At this time, real carbon fiber panels are being laid up to replace the aluminum.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by bassinvol; 02-10-2015 at 07:24 AM.

2. Member
    You have a really nice set up. You should think about recessing that trolling motor pedal, I would say that is some of the best money spent on a boat.

3. Member
    That is an old pic of the bow. I recesessed the trolling motor pedal back in '09. You're right about the best money spent.

4. Banned
    Looks good. You need a Shock Guard on those Rams as well.

Looking good!

6. Member
    Nice work! I did the carbon on my boat as well. Fun times. Good looking rig!

7. Member
    Wow, That is sweet where do you get that carbon stuff. How hard was to in move the gauges to fit the mount in the dash. I really wanted to do that

8. Member
    The 3M carbon fiber vinyl I bought off Ebay. The gauges were not too bad to move. I had to do quite a bit of trimming behind the gauges to clear enough room for them to slide in place. I used a die grinder to keep the edges smooth and took out what I needed. As long as you aren't scared of the cutting and grinding, it's fairly easy. I am also going to install a JENSEN MS30 stereo in the panel next to the SmartCraft gauge. Later in the summer I will do the real carbon fiber upgrade.

9. Member
    Oh no i do that kinda stuff all the time. I looked all over for pic of people that did that. Did you buy the mount for the dash from online or just bolt right to the carbon fiber.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e2jigs View Post
    Oh no i do that kinda stuff all the time. I looked all over for pic of people that did that. Did you buy the mount for the dash from online or just bolt right to the carbon fiber.
    The carbon fiber looks great. Havent seen a boat yet that that did not make a nice difference in the appearance. Nice job.

Have you not put the cf on the small gauge panel just to the right of the steering wheel yet?
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Thats a nice layout of all the Humminbirds I had the 1197 on my Ranger. What do you think about the mount up on the bow? Looks like a nice way of mounting it.
    Dennis Dalton
    Sales Manager
    Bunch Marine, LLC
    1640 Roane State Hwy
    Harriman,TN 37748

12. Member
    I am waiting on the stereo to arrive to finish the small panel to the right of the steering wheel. I made all the panels and cut the gimbal mount down to shorten it. It was an extra mount I had, so I really wasn't worried about it if I screwed up. It is bolted to the dash panel and the panel is bolted in place. It is very solid. I just couldn't see going out and spending $300 dollars on a mount I could make. Clearing out the gauges also makes it easier to see the wiring under the dash.

13. Member
    Dennis, I really like the graph mounted up front like it is. I can step up In front of the trolling motor pedal without it being in my way. I also don't feel like I am looking straight down to see it.

14. Member
    A few additional pics:

2nd Console:

Console:

Bow:

15. Member
    I swear they were right when I posted them.

Holy Cow! That is a super nice set up there……I'm looking at options to upgrade my electronics this spring…….gives me ideas….

17. Member
    Looks great. I have same boat and was going to do the same thing. The CF "look" sure is better than the aluminum. Did you eliminate any other gauges besides the speedo? Haven't worked with CF vinyl before. Did you adhere it to the removed panel and trip with razor blade abound the edges and openings?

18. Banned
    nicely done!!!

19. Member
    Brenlan, it was real easy to install on the panels. Just clean the panels really well and lay it on. Start with one side and slowly move across keeping the air bubbles out. Then a sharp razor knife down the edge will trim it easily. The 3M vinyl was a little thicker than some others I have felt. The center panel on the passenger side had some raised designs on it. I just flipped it over and used the back side. The speedo was the only gauge I removed. Thought about leaving the others out and just have the SmartCraft. That may be the future.
    Last edited by bassinvol; 02-12-2015 at 05:42 AM.

20. Member
    Appreciate the suggestions. Ordered the 3M CF vinyl and can't wait to start on project. Been thinking about it for a while and now, you have inspired me. I'm still thinking about a center dash mounted sonar/chartplotter, wondering if I really need another. Yours looks great. What pitch prop are you running? I have an identical set up to yours, and I run a 25" Tempest Plus, 5750 RPMs, 68-69 GPS mph, with 2 guys and everything else average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast