Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    this helped thanks for doing this! my compressor strainer was very dirty! One thing I noticed when putting the compressor strainer back in was that it got snug but would keep turning like it was stripped a bit...I ran it on earmuffs for a couple minutes though and did not notice any leaking is this normal?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    If it didn't snug up, I'd replace it. Might not have leaked at idle but think what might happen at mid-range to WOT with 15psi or more.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

yea that is what I was thinking as well. I do have a spare strainer at home I can replace it with.

I should add that it got tight and difficult to turn but it never got to point where it would not turn at all maybe too much teflon goop on threads? anyway to figure out if it is leaking at WOT?

See if it's wet inside the cowling near the strainer after running WOT.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    See if it's wet inside the cowling near the strainer after running WOT.
    will do! wold there be a considerable amount of water?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Even though it's plastic, that is a PIPE THREAD fitting (meaning the threads are tapered). You're simply snugging it, not trying to bottom it out and "torque" it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    ^^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    For EARLIER model Optimax 3L engines, such as yours, look at the CYLINDER BLOCK parts section. Strainer is threaded into the TOP of the cylinder block, at the rear of the engine (in the water jacket).

If viewing Parts Catalog on our website ( European Marine- Parts Department ) by your Engine Serial Number, it will be Item #20 in the Cylinder Block section.
    What years switch from this location (up top) to the OP's location on the center rear? OP says his is a 2009. Mine is a 2006 Pro XS and it doesn't seem to be in the same place as the 2009, but I haven't taken mine apart yet. I was getting the lay of the land before I started disassembly.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdc2010 View Post
    What years switch from this location (up top) to the OP's location on the center rear? OP says his is a 2009. Mine is a 2006 Pro XS and it doesn't seem to be in the same place as the 2009, but I haven't taken mine apart yet. I was getting the lay of the land before I started disassembly.
    Mercury doesn't use "years" so we're not really going to try going there. I can tell you that both of your engine's strainers are located in the port side of the adapter plate.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks for the info. For some reason I had understood that it was on the compressor itself. Great write up.

13. Member
    Isn't there a relocation kit that moves this filter from it's current location to inline under the cowling?

14. Member
    do a search on here for flo rite filter setup some have used for this age old problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Only negative I see to installing the Flo-Rite "mod" (it's not really a kit) is that you've removed the strainer that was catching SOME of the debris that might have passed through the block, exiting either through the poppet valve or the thermostats (that's assuming it passes through at all and doesn't just build up in the bottom of a head, etc).

It's a trade-off... weigh the pros and cons for your specific situation before deciding.

16. Member
    Thanks for this topic, cleaned mine today.

Tight Lines

18speed

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567