Unhappy Lower unit issues

05 225 optimax 1b028641. Last weekend headed back to ramp around 3000 rpm heard 3 pops. This morning, idled around before blast off for 15 mins or so took out and ran little under 5000 rpm for about 2 mins. Fell on its face got solid alarm due to over revving, seemed to be in reverse for a split second. Idled forward in forward, neutral and reverse- turned off and restarted. Boat would start with gear shifter in neutral but be moving forward. No noise moving shifter to any position and no change in forward momentum.will be draining fluid in a.m. to see what it looks like but started for a split second out of water after tinkering with trim to get prop to spin freely and l/u sounded awful...any help appreciated and can give info if needed....thanks Jansen

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the fluid- and the shift cable.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Just drained the l/u fluid and its toast. Milk and full of shavings.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can use the Servicemaster (Standard) OR the Verado-Style on that engine. Go with one of these OEM's (stay away from the aftermarket-anchor-weights).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don

6. Member
    I got what I believe to be a 2015 1.75:1 oem unit with around 200 hrs. I have 1 question: was my original 05 a 1.75:1or could it have possibly had a different gear ratio? Just trying to decide which prop I put on this newer unit.

7. Member
    If its a "Torquemaster" Gen 2 lower unit you cant safely use it. Post a picture

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1.75 : 1 is correct, however you must know WHICH model gearcase you are looking at (as well as the shaft length that must be correct).

9. Member
    Shaft length was same 20". Bolted right up and we have fished 2 weekends in a row successfully. Here's where the knowing which model number comes in- I was wanting to change impeller just to be safe, I've already changed the fluid. Only visual difference is it had the drain bolt behind prop instead of under the nose cone. Based off the drain bolt location could you tell me a year range or model number ? I'm trying to load pics but not doing to well on that..

10. Member

Pics

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    Pic

12. Member
    Pics

13. Member
    Doesn't matter the "year" all the water pumps will be the same, just use the original serial number.

14. Member
    Thanks savage....thought so, just wanted to make sure.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As as a matter of reference, it's a Verado-Style gearcase, used 2006 and later.

16. Member
    Thanks again don