Thread: Lasik In MS

Lasik In MS

Any of you guys had Lasik eye surgery in MS. I'm wanting to have it done and want to know if there are other places besides Jackson. What about pricing. I want a good doctor but would much rather pay less if the service and job are the same.

My mom and brother had Lasik probably 10 years ago in Jackson and have been very happy. I think it was Dr. Mckay maybe that did the surgery. I think there is a very good doctor in Grenada as well now but I can not remember the name.

There are several places that do it on the coast

4. Member
    I've had two consultations in Jackson. Prices have ranged from 4000-4200 for both eyes. I'm not looking for the absolute cheapest place but if I could get a quality job done for less money it would leave more in my pocket. I know I can have it done for 800 a eye in New Orleans. I had a buddy go down there and was satisfied. Even with the drops and motels charges I think I could go down there for2000-2300 hundred which is half price of what they want in Jackson. Just looking for a place that is closer. Would like to stay as local as possible.

5. Member
    I had it done at Optical 2000 in Ridgeland. They did a great job (7 years ago) still doing great. At that time it was 1100 per eye, but was talking to a friend the other day and he was saying he was looking into it and they told him 800 per eye.

Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    Any of you guys had Lasik eye surgery in MS. I'm wanting to have it done and want to know if there are other places besides Jackson. What about pricing. I want a good doctor but would much rather pay less if the service and job are the same.
    There is a place in Hattiesburg that does it - Hattiesburg Eye Clinic. They do a lot of advertising about it but I can't tell you much else.

7. Member
    I'm looking at having Lasik done pretty soon. Who did you end up using?

8. Member
    I ended up not having it done. When I was young I got sick and it hurt my eyes. For the past thirty five years my eyes have been slowly getting better. My regular eye doctor told me I was at the age my eyes were going to start getting worse and I need to get it done then. He told me if I had it done now there was a good chance I'd have to have it done again later.

9. Member
    I am an eyecare professional and while you are certainly within your right to have LASIK done at 50, you need to be fully aware of what is going on in your eye and how that will effect the outcome and future results of the procedure.

Once you reach the age of 40ish, presbyopia kicks in. You start losing the ability to focus at near. That's why people start holding reading material further away and eventually need reading glasses and/or bifocals. LASIK only corrects your distance vision and you are still going to need a near Rx. If you are looking to never need glasses again at every distance, save your money, it isn't going to happen. This will worsen until age of 60ish, and if you spend alot of time on the computer you will need a different intermediate Rx for the computer than you will need for near and may still end up in a bifocal even though you are 20/20 in the distance.

The other thing is cataract formation, which happens to every human being on planet earth. Starting around 50, the lens in your eye begins to become more and more cloudy and you will eventually need cataract surgery at some point. Could be 60, 65, 70.....everyone is different. But your vision will get progressively worse over the next 10-20 years from cataract formation regardless of having LASIK. What your doctor was probably telling you is that you are likely going to need cataract Sx in a handful of years anyway, and at that point they are essentially going to put your Rx inside your eye with an artificial lens.

So long story short, say you spend a few thousand(and you don't want to go cheap on eye surgery) on LASIK, you are still going to need glasses, your vision WILL get worse over the next several years, and in 10 years may end up having another surgery that would effectively make the LASIK pointless.

Oh, and I didn't even mention post LASIK dry eye issues from the severing of corneal nerves and the resulting desensitization that nobody warns older patients about.

I try to steer all of my patients in your age range away from refractive surgery, but if you absolutely are determined, I recommend Dr. Mallette at Jackson Eye Associates.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post
    I am an eyecare professional and while you are certainly within your right to have LASIK done at 50, you need to be fully aware of what is going on in your eye and how that will effect the outcome and future results of the procedure.

Once you reach the age of 40ish, presbyopia kicks in. You start losing the ability to focus at near. That's why people start holding reading material further away and eventually need reading glasses and/or bifocals. LASIK only corrects your distance vision and you are still going to need a near Rx. If you are looking to never need glasses again at every distance, save your money, it isn't going to happen. This will worsen until age of 60ish, and if you spend alot of time on the computer you will need a different intermediate Rx for the computer than you will need for near and may still end up in a bifocal even though you are 20/20 in the distance.

The other thing is cataract formation, which happens to every human being on planet earth. Starting around 50, the lens in your eye begins to become more and more cloudy and you will eventually need cataract surgery at some point. Could be 60, 65, 70.....everyone is different. But your vision will get progressively worse over the next 10-20 years from cataract formation regardless of having LASIK. What your doctor was probably telling you is that you are likely going to need cataract Sx in a handful of years anyway, and at that point they are essentially going to put your Rx inside your eye with an artificial lens.

So long story short, say you spend a few thousand(and you don't want to go cheap on eye surgery) on LASIK, you are still going to need glasses, your vision WILL get worse over the next several years, and in 10 years may end up having another surgery that would effectively make the LASIK pointless.

Oh, and I didn't even mention post LASIK dry eye issues from the severing of corneal nerves and the resulting desensitization that nobody warns older patients about.

I try to steer all of my patients in your age range away from refractive surgery, but if you absolutely are determined, I recommend Dr. Mallette at Jackson Eye Associates.
    Lot of great info in this, I have one eye that will probably be gone by the time I'm 50 so the army eye doctor said. Loosing sight in that eye so rapidly is one of the reasons I got out of the army. I'm at a +5 right now in it. I asked the eye doc last year if lasik was an option and I got the back and forth on it for 6 months until I was finally told it wouldn't be worth it. I wish I could have been told flat out like this that it wasn't a great idea.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post

Dang, you sound just like my doctor...and he's from Philadelphia also. Doc, is that you?

12. Member
    Everyone that I know that's ever had it done thinks it's the best money they ever spent...lots of friend s and family Correct it's not going to fix the need for "old age" readers, but it can fix many other needs. Go for a visit , get a second opinion, make the choice at that point. Originally it was over $2000-$3000 per eye. I do think now you will find the prices for $1500 or less per eye. And I agree.....don't choose a dr by price! Dr. Jim Brown in Starkville does it and I know a ton of people he has done and Ive never heard a complaint. A computer actually done the cut and much of the work in this procedure

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    Dang, you sound just like my doctor...and he's from Philadelphia also. Doc, is that you?
    Depends, are you Choctaw? If so, I'm your guy. I'm the eye doc at the Choctaw Health Center. But I'm pretty sure you probably see one of the guys in town. I only have one patient that bass fishes and he's local. But it would be funny if you were my patient and I never knew you fished!!
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

14. Member
    I live a little West of Choctaw. The largest fish I've ever caught came out of Pushmataha sight fishing though. 11.20 on our club scales. I live about ten minutes from the lake.

15. Member
    I'm afraid the days of 11.2 are over for that lake because it has become over populated. I try my best to thin it out but there's only so much one guy can do. I still love fishing it though, its a great place to practice new techniques and lures because you have a little bit of everything and you will get bit. They might all be 7" long, but you will get bit!
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

16. Member
    Thanks for the information guys. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest price, but I've never been the type to get one price and pull the trigger. I'll check with the one's y'all recommended.