Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The way things used to be.

I see a lot of posts on this board asking about things like owners manuals, wiring diagrams, and such. I suspect most people who come here have never seen a "new" Cajun, on the showroom floor. I've owned two Cajun's both purchased new, an 85, and an 87. I "helped out" at the dealership where I purchased them, mostly because I have no real life, so I hung around the boat shop and fetched coffee, donuts, and wrenches and told good stories.

Well let me tell you boys and girls. Things were different in the old days. Today, when we go to a boat dealer and see a shiny new boat setting on the showroom floor, for the most part that boat was delivered just like you see it. That boat was rigged at the factory, and about the only choice you get is what depth finders you want, and you may not get that.

Back in the 70's and 80's especially, a boat was almost a custom thing. The engine manufactures hadn't started buying up boat manufacturers so all rigging was done at the dealer. A dealer would order a boat from the factory. Some would come on a "factory" trailer, some didn't. If the dealer used an aftermarket trailer, first you had to fit the boat to the trailer. Then the dealer started with a bare hull and mounted EVERYTHING the customer wanted. The bare hull would probably have instruments in the dash, steering installed, and it would be wired for a Trolling Motor. Maybe. If not the dealer had to run that too. The live wells would be plumbed, and the bilge pumps installed. Anything else we had to do ourselves. Hang the gas engine, mount the trolling motors, mount the battery trays, and the batteries, depth finders and any other equipment the customer wanted. If you go back far enough, we even had to mount things like gas tanks. Stuff like cleats and clam-shell covers the little hardware that finishes a boat off came in a cardboard box that was stuffed into the boat somewhere.

That's why you can't usually find anything like a wiring diagram, for older boats. There simply was no "standard". It was usually up to the individual rigger. How he liked to do things, was how things got done. Or up to the dealership.

Good riggers were a big selling point for a dealer. People would actually change brands of boat if a certain rigger left one dealer and went to another. When I went to boat shows, I always looked to see what kind of rigging job the dealer did. Told you a lot about the way he did business. Were the wires bundled up tight and neat or did they run willy nilly every which way? Was the bilge area cleaned out or was it full of sawdust and drill shavings? Did things line up like they'd been measured, or could you tell they'd been "eyeballed"?

So enjoy your "classic" boat. After all these years, I still think that Cajun, especially the "Tournament Series", were the best bass boats ever built.

And good luck figuring out what's what on it.

Edited to add. I have never seen a Cajun "owners manual". There may be such an animal but I never saw one for either of the two boats I owned, or for any of the ones I sold. There was a generic "How to operate your new boat" type booklet, which was mostly safety information. That was about it.

2. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (CajunBass)

I suppose that's why most of us subscribe to this forum...not so much to know how things used to be.. but how can I get this 'classic' boat back into it's near original shape from those of you that have tribal knowledge and or manuals, schematics, and other informative data. You are our luck!

3. Member

I have a 93 Rajun Cajun Pro 189 with a 175 Johson Fast Strike. Did these boats have a aluminum support on top of the transom? It looks original with the way the molding fits over it at the corners. Any help will be appreciated.

David Disler / Porter TX

4. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (David Disler)

Yes, that was from the factory. I used to have one.

5. Member

You are so right, I bought my first cajun a 1983 Blazer with a 90 Merc. on it ran great up graded to a 1984 Rajun Cajun in 1986 with a 150 Merc XR2 in it and still have it. Cajun made the best boats up until the late 80's then quality went down .I was told the company went out of Business after the company went union. My boat has been kept in a garage its whole life and still looks brand new. I was thinking about selling it until i found this site and started reading all the info here. I never did get a owners manual from either boat but they sent me a list of suppliers and what they recommended to maintain the boat. Like using old english red oil on the gelcoat. I still have the company cataloges from 1983 until 1990.

6. Member

I have a 1992 19 1/2 Ft 1900 Tournament Series Bass Boat. I to have hoped to find cosmetic parts I.E. The plastic dash on the bow where all the switches are and the trolling motor plugs in. So anyway my question would be what happened to the Inventory that had to have been left over from whatever any or all the dealers had across the country?? Did all of that Inventory that people had in stock or the Inventory the Manufacturer had in stock just disappear? The same question could be asked for any other boat that isn't made anymore. I'm new on the site guys so thanks for anybodies two cents on this, if you can spare some change :) T

Modified by 77TEXAN77 at 10:35 AM 4/4/2009

7. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (77TEXAN77)

For the most part, dealers don't keep a lot of stuff in inventory. That's money they don't have in the bank drawing interest, and inventory they have to pay taxes on. It's just not good business. Plus with so many different models if you had a "widget" for boat "A," sure as sin, the person with boat "A" would need "gizmo" and the person who needed "widget" would have boat "B".

Compared to cars boats are very low production items. I doubt even the factory kept a large inventory of parts. They ordered what they needed for the short term and that was all. When the handwriting was on the wall showing they were going under, they ordered even less.

As for what happened to the stuff they had? It probably got used up over the years. The newest Cajun is what? About 15 years old?
    Last edited by CajunBass; 09-04-2020 at 06:53 AM.

8. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (rbradford)

I recently purchased a 1989 Cajun 160Z. Some of the original items are missing--the bow panel for the trolling motor plug and switches. Mine has a 70hp Johnson that needs work. Hull is in good shape for it's age. Steering and cosole switches all seem to be original. I would like to look at a 1989 catalog to see what the 89 looked like when new. I would like to restore it but financially it might take me awhile. My first task is to get on the water.

9. Member

Well said! I just came across a '78 17.5' Cajun with a Merc 1500 inline 6 150 hp. This thing is factory original fully loaded. It has everything. It does need some work and some attention but I'm up to the challenge. I love it already. I have to admit thought finding parts and books are next to impossible but you can find them if you know where to look. Heck I bought this boat almost sight unseen and wasn't sure of the year for a week. I'm still learning new stuff. I wish I knew more about it. All I know is that it is a 1978 Cajun. The model is unknown. It a work in progress but she should be back in the water by summer.
    DJ w/ Heavy Metals
    \"Keepin\' You Prepared 4 Life\"

10. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (heavymetals)

I recently bought an 89 Cajun and am impressed with how it's set up. Except for the previous owner getting a little drill happy, the boat is in really good shape. I also see what was said about the wiring in this post. There isn't much to where they go if you can get down and look up. I hate jumbled messes so I've spent about 10 hours now re-routing and bundling, cleaning contacts and soldering instead of clipping whenever possible. I can't wait to get this on the water but until then, it's me in the man cave at peace on the boat - even if it's not on the water.

11. Member

Re: The way things used to be. (heavymetals)

Do you know where to look? I have a '78 Mach-V 17.5' with a merc 150. Would love to have an owners manual. Any ideas? Thanks.

12. Member
    i own a 97 rajun cajun 205 tourny edition. love this boat, handles rough water jsut fine. it has a 200 hp johnson venom on back. jack plate too. get on plane in less that 1-2 mins if i punch it.
    i also got an 82 17'6" cajun "fishin machine" for my brother, it has no motor and the rear transom is busted a little. the guy i got it from put a 3/16 steel plate on it, capped over. i want to take this rig and try to restore the rear transom. i am sure i can get the rig back from my brother, jsut wondering if anyone can give me a link to show how to restore the transom for a do it yourself project. any infomation is extremily welcomed. my rig is black trimmed in gold, the 82 is gold, trimmed in black. thought it would look cool side by side, lol. the 82 will take a 150 hp motor, while mine will take a 225 hp if the 200 goes out. thanks for the help folks.

I guess I'm the odd man out
    I have a 85 Cajun spacial, 15ft Alu, steering wheel, Mer 35HP, 2 live well's
    Evey thing still work's and I fish out of it almost everyday, it will go 33MPH on the gps
    Only thing is I hate the wind now ;)
    I have caught a lot of fish with it thou and had some good time in it on the lake's and even the Miss river.
    I'll finely be upgrading soon, wish they still make the Cajun
    Faster Boats Let You Fish Slower

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 77TEXAN77 View Post
    I have a 1992 19 1/2 Ft 1900 Tournament Series Bass Boat. I to have hoped to find cosmetic parts I.E. The plastic dash on the bow where all the switches are and the trolling motor plugs in. So anyway my question would be what happened to the Inventory that had to have been left over from whatever any or all the dealers had across the country?? Did all of that Inventory that people had in stock or the Inventory the Manufacturer had in stock just disappear? The same question could be asked for any other boat that isn't made anymore. I'm new on the site guys so thanks for anybodies two cents on this, if you can spare some change :) T

Modified by 77TEXAN77 at 10:35 AM 4/4/2009
    i have this same boat and i have almost resored mine it still looks good has many upgrades too it i just need find the original locks they used i love my cajun
    1991 19 1/2 Ft 1900 Tournament Series Bass Boat

15. Member
    Spokane Valley WA but spend most of our time in North Idaho
    Sounds like the reason I have not found much info on my 88. IMG_2395.jpgIMG_2396.jpg Can you tell me the model? gsisus@hotmail.com have more pics but this says they are to large to post. Gregg Mathews Spokane WA

16. Member
    Spokane Valley WA but spend most of our time in North Idaho
    IMG_2395.jpgIMG_2396.jpg This is a 16 foot with 80 merc 1988 year. Looking to see what model it is. Does your book show it. I can send more pics but this says my other pics are too large to up load. Thanks for any help as I need the model to order a mooring cover. Gregg Mathews Spokane WA gsisus@hotmail.com

17. Member
    I recently bought an 1981 Cajun Mach VI with an Evinrude 150 motor. It was well taken care of by the original owner who I bought it from. The wiring under the control console looks like a birds nest.

Any tips on figuring out this mess?

Thanks in advance.

18. Member
    Good luck, my friend! Only suggestion I have is to follow the wires. If they are zip tied you can cut the tie and separate the wires to see where they go. (Did we have zip ties in 1981?)But don't jump in and start cutting zip ties. Some wires may be obvious if you carefully follow them. If you do plan on cutting ties, make sure you have some on hand in different lengths to re-tie the wires after tracing them. I traced every wire I could get to in my '96 Cajun FS. I don't think they used "wiring harnesses" back then. Seems everything was installed one item at a time. Used to, riggers ensured there was some slack in the wires so things like gauges could be removed more easily. Today, in boats and cars there is no slack at all.

19. Member
    Recently got my hands on a very clean 95 Cajun fish and ski 185 with a 130 Johnson cannot figure out what the cable is on the side wall below the shifter it has a big black pull handle on it

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry A. View Post
    Recently got my hands on a very clean 95 Cajun fish and ski 185 with a 130 Johnson cannot figure out what the cable is on the side wall below the shifter it has a big black pull handle on it
    F8C0474F-C0DC-48FD-A0D9-478C3CF77F4C.jpeg
    I’ve got a 93 fish n ski. dont know if you got your answer yet, but I’ve determined this is the livewell drain valve, pulled all the way out, it is closed, pushed in and it is open. Mine does not fully close, working on a solution for it this winter, in the meantime I’ll be plugging it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast