Spinning Rod Help

I'm looking for a spinning rod around 7ft.in length to use for shaky heads, senkos, smaller plastics, and once in a while to throw lighter crankbaits to a max. of 1/2 oz. but usually 3/8oz.

In addition, I'd like to use this same rod in the late fall and winter to walleye jig in open water. Again, with 3/8 to a max. of 1/2 oz. jigs with grub trailers.

About $350 is my top range price wise. I am looking at the Dobyns DX703. Does anyone fish this rod and if so, what is your impression? Other suggestions?
    NavyVet

I fish the DX702 finesse. I also vertical jig for walleyes.

I go up to 1/2oz on my walleye jigs as well. The 702 loads a bit more in the tip, but is just an excellent finesse and light bite rod. I also have a DX742 that I havent put walleyes on yet, but from the bass I have been catching it is going to fit the walleye bill/crank much better. Downfall is the 7'4 length for verticle work. If the 7'4 doesnt bother you, I would look at that. The 742 is a more powerful rod overall, it is noticeable for sure. Its not a 7'4 version of the DX702.

The DX703 is one I havent used. Have used other models in the 703 for the same purposes. The 703 is a better all around shakey/senko type rod vs the 702, which excels at true finesse type work.

My choices would be between the DX703 and the DX742.

Any questions or wanting to test rods, send me an email or call, anytime. 319-601-9471 or mikesbassfishing@gmail.com

Im located in Burlington.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
    I'm looking for a spinning rod around 7ft.in length to use for shaky heads, senkos, smaller plastics, and once in a while to throw lighter crankbaits to a max. of 1/2 oz. but usually 3/8oz.

In addition, I'd like to use this same rod in the late fall and winter to walleye jig in open water. Again, with 3/8 to a max. of 1/2 oz. jigs with grub trailers.

About $350 is my top range price wise. I am looking at the Dobyns DX703. Does anyone fish this rod and if so, what is your impression? Other suggestions?
    I know the perfect rod your looking for...I also use spinning rods for shakeyheads.

Here's the one I use... 2014 KLX Spinning Multi-Technique Medium-Heavy 7' 3" Fishing Rod

Next best option for the money... 2014 KLX Spinning Multi-Technique Medium-Heavy 7' 0" Fishing Rod

And the most sensative option, but it costs more... Helium 3 Spinning Light / Med-Heavy 7' 0" Fast Fishing Rod

If you want it for Walleye jig fishing too....I would go with the 7'-3" KLX.

4. Member
    7'3M Envy. It's cheaper and more sensitive than the DX.

5. Member
    I'm looking for the same thing... more for throwing shad raps and small hair jigs in the winter, than shakeyheads. I was thinking about a Champion 702. I'd like the added length of a dx742 but i think the 702 will be the right fit.

6. Member
    Would suggest looking for a sales rep sample of NRX SYR 822s. Spent the last week using it for 1/8 oz shakey's, 4" senko's and found it to be perfect for those apps. 1/2 oz will be a little too heavy for it though but although I don't use it, would think it would be fine for smaller crankbaits

7. Member
    Dobyns Champion 702 s is a really good option that I use for those applications.