Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pics of HDS installs on 08 Z520

I have a HDS-10 which was mounted on a bizarre looking Ram mount. Its silver and somewhat curved and sits next to the driver console windshield but keep lifting out of the mounting hole. I hate it. Looking to change it out but wanted some ideas. Can someone post some pics of how they have theirs installed?
    Current boat: 2008 Ranger Z520 Merc 250 Pro XS

2. Banned
    MrM, I am not able to get any pics right now, but give me a couple days and I should be able to accommodate

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos H View Post
    MrM, I am not able to get any pics right now, but give me a couple days and I should be able to accommodate
    Thank you sir

4. mikesxpress
    HDS12 on Z21i.

Not a big fan of ram mounts. They shake and units fall over or you band-aide them to keep that from happening. This is a Shock-Lock mount that I have. Shock-Lock

This is also a good one:
    Balzout Fish Finder Mounts

A couple questions Carlos. Does your depth finder ever move or fall forward when its choppy? Did it come with the mounting screws? Do you have any nuts supporting the screws beneath the unit? Can I mount it on the curved section just to the right of the windscreen where my existing Ram mount is?

Ranger makes a base puck that is designed to fit the geometry of the boat. For mounting hardware on the underside, you might want to use the largest washer that will work with nylock nuts, this will provide greater surface area for grip & reduce chances of punching through the fiberglass. If your unit is losing it's grip in rough conditions and it is a ball mount sytle, most likely you need to increase the size of the mount (ball diameter). I have been in some pretty rough conditions and never had to re-adjust my HDS-8 w/my RAM mount...

7. Member
    And sand your ball. It gives the mount something to grab.

Heres what mine looks like now. The front part of the mount is not completely secured and I don't see any screw or bolt holding it in. It seems like it just rests inside and the hole is now bored out too big from the footing rubbing in the hole. My new HDS-12 should be here by Thursday so I'm looking at some safer mounting options.

9. Member
    Years ago, Ranger installed my HB 997 on a mount like that at the factory. Not very stable. When I upgraded to an HB 998, I switched to a 2.25" RAM mount with the black spacer Ranger has with the proper contour for the side of the console.

I called Ranger and they are familiar with the Ram mount I currently have (Pictured above). They advised that the ball size on mine is 1 1/2 inches and not designed for the heavier units like the HDS-10 that was there. I ordered the spacer and another ram mount from them which will be 2 1/4 inch balls. He claims it won't move even in super heavy chop. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work. I'll use the above about nylock nuts and sanding the ball too. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you guys updated when the stuff arrives.

11. Member
    Ranger is right. I ordered the plastic puck from them, matched up perfect. I went with the big D-111 RAM for an HDS-10. Snug it up, then after a few minutes snug it up some more. Doesn't move. I drilled a 1" hole ahead of the RAM for wiring access, covered it with a wiring cover from Bass Pro and covered the wires with an old rod glove. IMG_8823 (640x524).jpgIMG_8824 (640x458).jpgIMG_8825 (1024x645) (640x403).jpg
    thenhbassmaster@gmail.com
    2008 Ranger Z520 - Yamaha Vmax Series 2 250 - Minn Kota - Lowrance

I ordered the spacer and another ram mount from them which will be 2 1/4 inch balls. He claims it won't move even in super heavy chop.

13. Member
    I have 2 HDS 8's on the big RAM mounts and don't have any issues with movement. You have to use the "Tighten 3 times" rule...once when you put them on, once when you launch, and once before you take off. The bow units are the most susceptible to movement, and it has been extremely rare that my bow unit has moved. It has only happened on really hard hits. IMHO, if people have movement either A) they aren't tightening them enough, or B) they beat the piss out of their boat.

14. Banned
    Y'all do know that ram mounts are "supposed" to be straight up and down right? With 2, 90 degree angles no matter how tight you cinch them in true rough water they will move, I guarantee it. I have the big ram and it happens. They make a wrench that allows you to tighten them beyond what you can do with your hand and for insurance, use one of these:

RAM-Mount-1.5-Ball-Mount-with-2-2.5-Round-Bases-and-Mounting-Hardware-for-Garmin-Fishfinders-and.jpg
    You use a cable tie to attach it to the upper part of the Ram and it will save your gelcoat if/when you unit pushes it down in rough water. I have an aftermarket one but can't think of the name.

15. Member
    Toxic, You may be thinking of Wilson Frazor's Shockguard. https://www.sonargpsuniversity.com/shockguard.php

I use a ram mount with a shockguard and never have a problem with my HDS-12 falling down in rough water.

16. Banned
    That's it.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by phil2 View Post
    And sand your ball. It gives the mount something to grab.

No ball sanding for me!

The bigger ram mount will work just fine.

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger 519, Mercury 225 Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Motor Guide Tour Pro, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega chirp on console, Helix 12SI up front, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

I got my new mount from ram mount spacer from Ranger last week and finally installed it over the weekend. Heres the pics:

and

20. mikesxpress
    Let us know how it holds up after some 5 footers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast