Question 4 beeps 250 xs...DON help please...details inside

don and anyone else who knows...
    2005 250xs...
    starting the 2nd trip out this year, the alarm gives 4 beeps every 60 seconds...once on plane if you get over 4,000rpms the beep becomes a constant solid alarm...
    on the mercMonitor as soon as the 4 beeps start, it shows a OIL alarm and shows the % on a decline like 95%....84%....77%...66% and so on...the thing is, the 3 gallon tank on board is FULL and the small resvor on side of motor is also...just to be sure about the one on the side of motor, while running on the water hose, we backed off on the top just a slight turn and oil immediatly began to force out...

i'm thinking the sensor on the rsvor is bad, but before ordering a new one, didn't know if 4 beeps could mean something else...in back of my head, someone told me 4 beeps could also mean water in the FUEL separator...

please advise....
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

2. Member
    Do you have an oil level sensor on the 3 gallon tank?

3. Member
    Not sure, but might be oil pump fault.
    I do not think a sensor fault would count down the % of power reduction due to Guardian Mode.

Don will surely know.

Best of luck.

JAZII

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have a sensor installed in the REMOTE oil tank, AND the optional fuel/oil harness installed between the engine and oil tank?

If NOT, go to: Settings-Tanks- and set BOTH tanks to "Not Installed".

Then see if you still get the alarm.

The BEST means of identifying a fault that occurs is to have the engine connected to the Computer Diagnostic System for PRINTOUTS of:

-Run History
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History
    -Fault Seconds Counters

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Not sure about the oil sensors, we did NOT install any...I do not understand why it has never gone off before, haven't installed any new sensors and have not made any adjustments to the settings...
    I will do as advised and report back...

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just go to Settings-Tanks, and make sure BOTH tanks are listed as "Not Installed".

Also, verify that the ENGINE mounted oil tank is 100% full, with absolutely NO air space present. Bleed any air via the following proceedure:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...r-present.html

If the alarm still occurs, disconnect the sensor on the ENGINE mounted oil tank. For DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES ONLY: Jumper the connector on the ENGINE harness side. If alarm CEASES... you will need to replace your OIL TANK AND SENSOR (both).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

just an update...
    ran a jumper wire inside the plug disconnect for the under cowl oil resvoir...alarm did not come on...

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're essentially "fooling" the PCM into believing there is a full oil tank signal online by doing that.

If the ENGINE mounted thank is 100% full, with NO air space present... and the above "jumper" resolved the alarm, you will need to:

-Replace Engine Mounted Oil tank and sensor
    -Refill the oil tank
    -Perform an Oil Pump Prime Sequence
    -Bleed any remaining air from oil tank.

You can look (and even order) those parts on our website at: European Marine- Parts Department

9. Member
    Not to high jack this post, but what does:
    one beep
    two beep
    three beep signal ?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on the engine.

For RECENT production Optimax Models (for instance, 2006 and later), there are really only THREE possible horn patterns:

-Short beep or test sequence at KEYUP
    -SOLID tone
    -Four beeps, pause, Four Beeps.

Keep in mind- VERY recent production models have changed the horn strategy (mid 2012 and later). Horn will only sound it's sequence ONCE, and will then SILENCE in most cases (as Engine Guardian begins limiting power). So don't "assume" just because it quit beeping that everything is "A.O.K.".