Trolling Motor Problem

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 80/FC trolling motor on a Nitro 2000DC. I have a Minn Kota MK-220D charger and 2 Die Hard Lead-Acid Batteries (665 CCA, 135 RC) that checked out good at the dealer's. My problem is that the power to the trolling diminishes prematurely. After only a couple of hours, I can only get about half the speed out of the motor, even though the power is good to start and the charger indicated full charge on both batteries. I have checked all of the connections and they are secure. I checked the prop shaft and there was not any line wrapped around it. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Get a voltmeter, check the battery voltage prior to going fishing. When the batteries start to go down -- or the power diminishes prematurely--check the voltage on the batteries. I suspect you have one or both bad batteries. If that is not the case, pull the prop and take out one bolt to check for water in the lower unit. You can tell from the residue on the bolt. Water intrusion will cause the same symptoms.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]