Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Monitor three things moving forward:

1. Make sure you're pumping the primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start (NOT just the "first" start of the day). Today's fuels vaporize quickly at temps above 70 degrees F... and your fuel pumps don't process "vapor" well (they do, however, process liquid fuel).

2. Monitor BATTERY VOLTAGE at the battery, and see if there appears to be a low or high voltage condition at the point you're experiencing problems. I know... I know.... "I've already replaced the stator and voltage regulators". Keep in mind- "New does NOT necessarily mean GOOD"... and there are also connections, and a BATTERY at play here.

3. Verify FUEL TANK VENT is venting properly, with no sags in the line that may trap liquid.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    I'll try and take it out this weekend and check these things. On #2 when you say monitor the battery voltage at the battery... Are you wanting me to clip the leads to the battery and leave a multimeter hooked up during the take offs to monitor or are you saying after it bogs, to pull back to idle and check it while running with multimeter? I have been paying more attention to the battery gauge and making sure it doesn't exceed 14vdc while in operation at high RPM's. I know that only checks one voltage reg, but I do try to watch that too. Its usually 13.8-13.9VDC at 5K RPM. I rarely run WOT. The reason I changed both VR's in the first place was because the tack was dancing around all over the place. Weather permitting, I will get some answers early next week. thanks

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd recommend pulling two wires from the battery terminals (towards the console), so you can attach a DVOM directly to those wires, and monitor battery voltage AT WOT when the problem occurs.

Battery voltage should NEVER exceed 14.6 VDC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I have the same exact motor doing the same exact things described in this thread an have quite honestly los my mind over it also! All of the advice gien in tis thread is a major starting point with my situation. New to thissite and glad it's here. Thanx again

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GAANGLER View Post
    I have the same exact motor doing the same exact things described in this thread an have quite honestly los my mind over it also! All of the advice gien in tis thread is a major starting point with my situation. New to thissite and glad it's here. Thanx again
    Welcome to BBC!

Feel free to follow along. It would, however be a good idea to open a new thread for your SEPARATE engine, and provide the engine serial number. Always happy to assist... just need separate engines in separate threads.

6. Member
    Did this issue ever get resolved? I am chasing a similar issue.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman53 View Post
    Did this issue ever get resolved? I am chasing a similar issue.
    As suggested above, please open a separate thread for your separate engine, and provide the engine serial number.

We'll be happy to assist you- but it's important to deal specifically with YOUR engine, as there are often dozens of potential causes of a SIMILAR (or exactly identical) operator complaint.

8. Member
    I know this thread is old but i had this same problem with my 1996 mariner 2.5 liter 200hp outboard. I would take off and it wouldnt go past 2500 rpms, then out of nowhere it was just take off. I replaced stator, trigger, coil packs, spark plugs, ingnition boxes, spark plug wires, fuel filter/water separator and no luck. The boat ran good when i test drove it. This is all about a month after i bought it so im sure you all could feel my frustration. So one day i decided to do some regular maintenance i had no record of when the water pump was swapped out. When pulling off the lower unit and getting to the pump i noticed the top part of the pump was melted. It was right where the shaft enters the water pump. So in my mind it made sense, water is escaping through that melted portion and i dont have alot of water pressure which is causing overheating from the get go. Oh and i also swapped out both thermostats fyi. After doing some research i found out that these outboards have a sensor that once the engine starts to overheat it goes into limp mode which doesnt allow it to go over 2000rpms. I've had a bog free outboard since. Im not saying this is the cure to your specific problems but a water pump isnt a bad place to start. They're like $30 versus a $500 stator. Start small and work your way up. Yeah i spent some money but in the end i paid for peace of mind, now i know whats all been replaced and i learned a ton about my outboard. And like someone up top said the manual sure does come in handy. Well gentlemen i hope you guys get to the root of your problems and get it straightened out. Be safe and good luck!

9. Member
    check for spark when problem is occurring on all cyl possible bad switchbox
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Did anyone ever figure this out? I've been dealing with what seems to be the exact same issue since about when this thread ended. I've replaced almost everything at least once.

11. Member
    See reply #27 and note there are 4 Mercury forums, select the one that applies to your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    See reply #27 and note there are 4 Mercury forums, select the one that applies to your engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12