Thread: Buffalo wings

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Buffalo wings

Does anybody have a recipe for making some buffalo style wings. I can eat the heck outta these things and want to start making my own. I can't afford to buy the premade ones anymore

If you want buffalo sauce, use Parkay (must be Parkay, other brands do not work as well) and your favorite hot sauce. Put the Parkay in a blender and turn it on. Slowly add hot sauce until you get the flavor you like. This is how most are made. For a little different flavor you can add a small amount of ranch dressing
    "I see dead people"

GRILL, do not fry, bake, microwave, etc., your wings. Put about 16 - 24 oz (depending on the amount of wings) of Franks Red Hot sauce (nothing else) in a bowl. Throw in about 1/3 to 1/2 stick of butter in and microwave until the butter is melted. Add the cooked wings and stir around until all are coated. Let them set in the sauce for about 10 minutes and enjoy.
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

4. Banned
    What I do is use equal parts butter and hot sauce. Probably 1/2 cup each. Put wings in baking dish pour mixture over top of them. Cover foil with and bake 30 minutes at 350. While those are baking fire up the grill. After 30 minutes pull wings out of oven and throw them on the grill to char them up a little. Once done to your liking take out put in big bowl. Pour a little more of the butter/hot sauce mixture over them and toss them around. Damn fine eating there!!

get yourself some wingettes and a quart of buttermilk , a quart of franks red hot 2 cups of flour , 2 sticks of butter , and oil to deep fry,,,,soak wingettes for 12 hours in buttermilk and half the red hot, then drain well and LIGHTLY flour them , then deep fry til deep golden brown, then heat the rest of red hot with the 2 sticks of butter mixing til it combines,,,,then get a big bowl and toss the sauce mixture and the cooked wings in it and serve or you can keep warm in oven on 200 degrees til ready to serve

6. Banned
    Last edited by Tom G.; 12-24-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Here's a different option, that I think makes them taste much better. Steam the wings first. I use a seafood steamer on my propane cooker and steam them for about 15 minutes to render some of the fat off the wings. I toss them in seasoned flour and shake most of it off to just give them a very light coating. Drop them in the oil and brown them up. Drain and immediately toss them in a bowl with your choice of sauce. You can buy a few restaurant versions from the grocery store if you like, or go with the classic butter/Red Hot mix. Steaming them will make them nice and tender. The light flour coating is optional. You can fry them "naked" (no flour) if you prefer but I like giving the sauce a little something to stick to, plus it adds a little extra crunch without heavy breading.

I understand the steaming thing but the buttermilk makes them juicier try it and see if I am wrong,,,besides the fat comes out in the deep fry process

9. Banned
    I coat them in flour/spices (onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, little bit of paprika, basil, italian spices), refrigerate for an hour, then toss them in flour/spices again. Fry them in peanut oil at 350 and I use 50/50 real butter and Franks Red Hot. I sometimes also add Tabasco, Cholula or other hot sauce to boost the heat factor.
    Last edited by BassTaurus; 02-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.

10. Member
    I fry my wings in a very hot fryer (375F-400F) for roughly 5 mins., this will make the skin very crispy. I then throw them on the grill, or in the smoker to finish them off. I personally prefer the grill because I like the little bit of char.

Have a couple sauce recipes, this one is probably my favorite.

Sriracha Wing Sauce
    5 Tablespoon unsalted butter
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup Sriracha
    1 Tablespoon Kikkoman Soy
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

This makes a slightly tangy, sweet sauce, with a kick. You can always add more or less sweetness/heat depending on your own preferences.

11. Member
    I soak my wings in sauce over night then I put them in a basket on the rotisery on the grill until crispy

Hot sauce, Butter, and I add a little vinegar for a little wang
    SS 580 DBF

13. Member
    I also grill em first. Went to buy some fresh wings Friday and they were 4.99 a pound, breast were on sale for 1.99 a pound. We will be eating buffalo chicken breast strips while watching the game.

5 bucks a pound for chicken wings......

Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    get yourself some wingettes and a quart of buttermilk , a quart of franks red hot 2 cups of flour , 2 sticks of butter , and oil to deep fry,,,,soak wingettes for 12 hours in buttermilk and half the red hot, then drain well and LIGHTLY flour them , then deep fry til deep golden brown, then heat the rest of red hot with the 2 sticks of butter mixing til it combines,,,,then get a big bowl and toss the sauce mixture and the cooked wings in it and serve or you can keep warm in oven on 200 degrees til ready to serve
    This is probably the closest to 'authentic' you're going to get

Gotta use Franks, others will work, but Franks is the best wing sauce. Don't buy the Franks pre blended wing sauce, make your own with the original.
    Ranting incoherently

I don't know why you people dump all that stuff on perfectly good chicken wings.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

What we usually do....

Get several 5 pound bags of wings. Thaw them completely and put them in the turkey fryer at 400deg. After they're done we dip them in bowls of Frank's Buffalo Sauce, our family secret BBQ, or (my personal favorite) dip them in vinegar and sprinkle salt on them.

Just this past summer I experimented with smoking wings. They are a close 2nd behind our frying method.

17. Banned
    Last edited by Tom G.; 12-24-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Breaded and fried,or just plain. I could eat pounds of them. I love chicken wings.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Will be eating pizza and chicken wings tonight at the fire house for the Superbowl...one good thing about living in Buffalo, our pizza and wings are second to none

My son goes through a lot of wings every week, They come off the food service truck already with the breading on them. Drops em in a fryer basket in 375 oil, drains em. He uses Red Hot, puts an order of wings in a large stainless steel bowl with some hot sauce and a little spice and flips them around while the wings are extremely hot from the fryer. The coating sticks to the wings that way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast