Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shimano Product Questions

2. Member
    Quick question, I am looking for a swimbait rod to "stroke" a swimbait. Can't decide between the crucial 7 11 medium heavy vs the heavy. Any advice would be appreciated.

3. Member
    Depends on what kind of swimbaits you wanna stroke. Are you talking 8" Hudd's and larger baits? I think Crucial is a decent rod but would rather use an Okuma Big Bait Rod or a IROD Gen2 Large Swim. Both are reasonable price (around same as crucial or a bit less). If you are stuck on Shimano and wanna throw baits 3 ounce or heavier, I would go with the heavy power with mod or mod-fast action crucial.

4. Member
    can anyone provide or point me to a schematic for a scorpion 1000 4x4svs? rh431 on foot. new to me reel with handle play and uncooperative drag star. best i can tell the play is inside the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jab0106 View Post
    can anyone provide or point me to a schematic for a scorpion 1000 4x4svs? rh431 on foot. new to me reel with handle play and uncooperative drag star. best i can tell the play is inside the frame.
    A curado 100b schematic will be close. Describe the issues in a little more detail and I'll try to get you on the right track. I knw those reels pretty well.
    Just replaced an ARB bearing in one that had some slop in the handle.
    It's also pretty common for the handle nut to loosen up also, which is hidden by the handle. Use a GOOD screwdriver to remove those two tiny screws that hold it on. I actually find the standard WIHA screwdriver gets a better grip on those than the Philips.
    Not sure what you mean by uncooperative drag star...

6. Member
    havent really broke the reel down yet, but i did take the handle apart over lunch and the handle nut was indeed loose, after tightening it is much less sloppy and the drag star appears to work correctly. there is still a slight play i would like to rid if possible. if the drag is cranked all the way in there is quite a bit less angular play but the straight in and out movement remains (in/out as in pushing both knobs simultaneously in or pulling out). It really is easily fishable as is now though, where before any turn of the handle it wanted to go askew with the star leaning in toward the reel. seems to work quite decent with the drag maxed. im pretty certain the play i feel now though is the crank shaft moving. not really a handle issue i think. im a newb at reel maintenance though, im used to fishing til they make noise and get another lol. trying to refine myself a bit, along with my tackle. thanks.

Seems like that was quite a bit of the problem. That handle nut can be kind of difficult to tighten up with no handle to hold onto. You can carefully use a crescent wrench to hold that handle adapter, then tighten the nut with a 1/4" ratchet.
    You need to have the nut lined up just right so the handle fits over it, and seats against the adapter.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab0106 View Post
    I have a lot of the schematics for the 1000 4x4svs but the righting is in Japanese so they don't do much good

9. Member

10. Member

discontinued reel parts

Best place to find older shimano curado ,cronarch , Calais parts ? Looking for bnt 1357 and bnt2220

Have you tried ereplacementparts.com? I haven't used them but they seem to have a substantial number of Shimano Parts.
    Phoenixed
    2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI

Bugthug:
    Looks like Dad's Ole Tackle lists a BNT1357. Shimano Brake Case BNT1357 - Dad's Ole Tackle
    I would call first to be sure. They are good to deal with.

BNT2220 looks to be a hidden nut 80mm handle for a Chronarch 100/101SF. Just a guess, but are you replacing a short handle on a Scorpion 1000?
    There are various handles that would work and several are still offered by Shimano. FYI, a handle off a 200-series reel will be 84mm.

Looks like Chronarch B handles are ~$37-38 and Calais handles will be ~$58-59. Calais handles will have 4-bearings.
    https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/pro...45524441848256

13. Member
    I'm looking to purchase this reel Shimano Curado 300 E Casting Reels and was wondering if any good suggestions for a rod to fit with it, I was hoping to use it as a walleye set up.

14. Member
    I have the old green curado 200 that will only cast about half the distance.i have all the magnets off and the cast control knob loose and when I cast it with my thumb off the spool it won't backlash or have any over run. I need suggestions before I break it down.thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin wells View Post
    I have the old green curado 200 that will only cast about half the distance.i have all the magnets off and the cast control knob loose and when I cast it with my thumb off the spool it won't backlash or have any over run. I need suggestions before I break it down.thanks
    Replace the spool bearings with at least an Abec 7 bearing set. I recommend Boca or Big Green Fish.

16. Banned
    I have a question for Shimano....

When they design the Chronarch F models (supposing there is a such thing), can they atleast go back to the Chronarch D body, guts, spool, and magnet system, but maybe 1 or 2 more bearings? That would actually make the Chronarchs a very desirable reel again, because they would actually be representing the Chronarch name that has always been synonymous with quality.....Where they royally screwed the pooch on the E series (in my opinion)...

As a maior proponent of the D series Chronarchs, I would be perfectly happy if they would re-release them to 100% specs of the D series, but render them a new color, like black w/ graphite and red accents. Something catchy that is aesthetically pleasing, AND smooth and quality.....And offer them in 5.0 & 7.0 ratios again, just like the Chronarch D's.

Sorry if this isn't the right place, I just didn't know where else to post this. Maybe a Shimano rep will see it here and relay the message to the big dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin wells View Post
    Kevin, Shimano has very good factory bearings and it should cast fine with those, although Boca or BGF IS an upgrade.
    There are several things you can check, but first understand that your Curado has a centrifugal system, not magnetic. That means the small weights on the spool apply pressure to the brake ring through centrifugal force to slow the spool. This brake ring needs cleaned and a light coat of oil. I use a Q-tip with iso alcohol on one side. If your brake ring is really rough, you can polish it with some brass polish.

Second, flush your bearings. I would soak them in lighter fluid, then hose them out with brake/carb cleaner. The bearings are located under the cast control knob and the non-handle sideplate. Reoil with a quality oil like Shimano oil. If you have a rough bearing, it will need replaced. Spin it on a pencil, etc.

A third area to check/clean is the spool shaft and pinion gear. Once you remove the spool, you can see the pinion gear with four teeth inside the frame. Clean the spool shaft with alchol and a rag. Should be clean and dry. Pull some cotton off a Q-tip to reduce diameter and soak it in alcohol, then push it through the center of the pinion gear. Should be clean and dry also.

IF these don't help your casting performance, I would send it to Reel-Ex or one of our other board sponsors who service reels.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

18. Member
    Thanks for the responses,first rainy day I'll give it a try.Between fishing and building a house it's hard to find time to work on it,but now I know where to start looking.God Bless Kevin

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Kevin, Shimano has very good factory bearings and it should cast fine with those, although Boca or BGF IS an upgrade.
    There are several things you can check, but first understand that your Curado has a centrifugal system, not magnetic. That means the small weights on the spool apply pressure to the brake ring through centrifugal force to slow the spool. This brake ring needs cleaned and a light coat of oil. I use a Q-tip with iso alcohol on one side. If your brake ring is really rough, you can polish it with some brass polish.

Second, flush your bearings. I would soak them in lighter fluid, then hose them out with brake/carb cleaner. The bearings are located under the cast control knob and the non-handle sideplate. Reoil with a quality oil like Shimano oil. If you have a rough bearing, it will need replaced. Spin it on a pencil, etc.

A third area to check/clean is the spool shaft and pinion gear. Once you remove the spool, you can see the pinion gear with four teeth inside the frame. Clean the spool shaft with alchol and a rag. Should be clean and dry. Pull some cotton off a Q-tip to reduce diameter and soak it in alcohol, then push it through the center of the pinion gear. Should be clean and dry also.

IF these don't help your casting performance, I would send it to Reel-Ex or one of our other board sponsors who service reels.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    yep this guy nailed it. really check that brake rail. get it clean and relubed. esp if u hear a whine when u cast.

Green Curado & Chronarh both developed a hard button push after having them cleaned and checked over. What's the problem and fix for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast