Banned

Golf Scramble Question - injured team member?

Okay, here's the scenario....

You have a 4 man scramble, and a team of 4 guys.

After three holes, one of the team members develops a sharp pain in his back. The pain basically cripples him to where he pretty much can only putt, as a full golf swing is just too painful.

The question is:

If he's only able to putt, can someone else on the team take the other shots for the injured player?

2. Member
    In a scramble that should be fine. Most scrambles are very loose formats.

3. Member
    I would say, no. If this was allowed teams may start faking injury's by the weakest player.

4. Member
    I would think that the shots the player can't do are forfeited, any shot he can do are used

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipping57 View Post
    I would say, no. If this was allowed teams may start faking injury's by the weakest player.
    Okay, with that being said, what are your thoughts on a two-man team entering a four-man scramble, and each taking two shots each time?

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Okay, with that being said, what are your thoughts on a two-man team entering a four-man scramble, and each taking two shots each time?

I have played in many with 2 or 3 people.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Nope. They can enter but only get 1 shot each. If this were the case I would get my buddy from college. I would take each of us getting two shots verse the rest of the 4 person teams. Tee to green the extra shot would help some. The 2nd putt by each player would be where you would start to see a big difference. Look how many times you sink a putt the second time...
    Last edited by Jiggumup; 10-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.

8. Member
    Odd that this came up. My son and I were talking about this a couple of weeks ago on our way to a scramble. I think the end result was the less you have the better you may be if it is the better players that are left. With three it is not so bad as you alternate between the three, but there definitely would be a slight edge on the green. Granted with a D players probably won't have a huge advantage, but two A payers would definitely have an advantage.Would you take your foursome out against a PGA tour member or possibly even a scratch golfer and let him have four shots each time?

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedShad View Post
    Would you take your foursome out against a PGA tour member or possibly even a scratch golfer and let him have four shots each time?
    I wouldn't be a fan of it, but if one guy wants to pay the entry fee for 4 people and play solo then he should get the extra shots.

This particular scramble was $220 per team ($55 per person for a 4 man team). If a guy wants to throw down $220 and play solo, then that's fine with me...he's got a lot more to lose than I do.

10. Member
    I recently played in a mixed scramble with my wife. She was recovering from shoulder surgery and could not do anything but chip and putt. I did not get to take two shots and would never even ask to do that. A player can never take more than one shot.

11. Banned
    Yeah the advantage could be huge if it was two "a" players. Take two scratch golfers and give them each two putts back to back and they're making one of them more often than not. I could live with a 3 man team alternating shots although I believe that's still an advantage but no way should a two man team be allowed to take two shots each.