Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1999 Bumble Bee Super Vee - Rebuild (Composite hull)

This boat was totally rotten, balsa, stringers, floor & transom. Seems the factory did not seal the edges of the wood, nor the underside of the floor and it was sitting on wet foam! The design of the hull is great though, that is why I decided to rebuild it with all composites. Will be lighter, faster and stronger than it was. I will post pics (if interested) in different stages of the rebuild!

2. Member
    I would like to see pics.

Same here...pics would be great for other Bee owners like myself...Good Luck!

4. Member
    The stringers & tramsomP9200061.jpgP9200062.jpgP9200063.jpg are all in place and faired. Now it is time to start Glassing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by baywatch; 12-01-2013 at 05:33 AM.

5. Member
    Do you have any pics when pulling off cap? I found some water seeping out in the back of my battery boxes when redoing them and the bilge...I drilled a inspection hole in each rear panel up about 6 inches from bottom of battery box...found foam that was dry for the most part when I stuck my finger into it...I drill a few smaller holes at the bottom angle under inspection holes...I got some water to drain out there...is there a wedge shaped cavity behind battery box that is filled with foam? That's the only thing I can figure...How can water get in there?

6. Member
    Here are the pics you are interested in. The top of the foam is fiberglassed, but not water tight.P5270037.jpgP5270040.jpg

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baywatch View Post
    Here are the pics you are interested in. The top of the foam is fiberglassed, but not water tight.P5270037.jpgP5270040.jpg
    great pictures....I see it all clearly now....foam filled under floor where you cut it out for inspection...also looks foam filled all the way back on each of the sides, all the way back to the transom and then vertically in front of the transom(where mine had water showing up)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timmernator View Post
    great pictures....I see it all clearly now....foam filled under floor where you cut it out for inspection...also looks foam filled all the way back on each of the sides, all the way back to the transom and then vertically in front of the transom(where mine had water showing up)
    There is no foam in front of the transom! That is balsa wood on the hull floor. Foam is on both sides of the transom, under the floor and under the platforms where the battery's are located.

9. Member
    mine has foam between the back of battery boxes and transom...the center part of transom where the motor is bolted up is solid and thicker plywood, but on each side I have about a 8" on top to nothing on bottom wedge shaped cavity...there is a rounded shelf if you reach your hand up and feel....mine is filled with foam for sure..I can see it and feel it with my finger...I have taken out my drains in floor and inspected the runners...they all seem to be solid and rot free....but the water I found in the back worries me, as the foam in the floors might be wet now?? I hope not

10. Member
    vertical panel that is the back of battery boxes is glassed over 3/8" plywood....floor of battery boxes seem to be thicker plywood glassed over...the sound from knocking on them is different.(Im a carpenter)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timmernator View Post
    vertical panel that is the back of battery boxes is glassed over 3/8" plywood....floor of battery boxes seem to be thicker plywood glassed over...the sound from knocking on them is different.(Im a carpenter)
    Back of mine was 1/4" glassed(just a form for the foam) All floors 1/2", 1/2" stringers, except under main floor 3/4" stringers, including center stringer.

12. Member
    I really appreciate the pictures...any more you have would be great...

13. Member
    Sounds scary. Have 2001 super vee looks good hoppe I don't have rot problem. Doesn't appear to be anyway. Great work if able keep pics posted great reference

14. Member

15. Member
    Man...what great shots...really lets you figure out how it made....Yea, the foam thing really has me worried...maybe when I install new carpet in a year or so, I will drill some inspection holes in the floor to check out the foam...then glass back over the holes before new carpet goes down...Only way to check that I can think of??

16. Member
    Main floor is down. All the stringers were faired and glassed, except the main stringers and transom. Waiting for the duraglass to come in and finish fairing the transom.P9240064.jpgP9240065.jpgP9240066.jpg

17. Fishwhisperer Thefisherman64's Avatar
    You Sir have patience and talent to dive into that kind of a project. It is looking good. I hope to see the final results soon. Was your boat Yellw to begin with?? I remember seeing one in someones drive / side yard
    Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefisherman64 View Post
    You Sir have patience and talent to dive into that kind of a project. It is looking good. I hope to see the final results soon. Was your boat Yellw to begin with?? I remember seeing one in someones drive / side yard
    This is my third (first with composites) and final. This boat is all white with a blue metallic strip. You probably have seen it though, around Manchac.

19. Member
    How many layers of CSM did you wrap around the stringers and keel board?

20. Member
    I used a layer of mat and a layer of cloth down the sides and bottom of the hull. The 3M Marine adhesive seals the floor and tops of the stringers.
    Last edited by baywatch; 09-26-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast