Installing padding/carpet question

When installing carpet and padding on both decks. front and back.does it have to be all one piece or can you do it in sections? it is gunna be hard ass hell to do one piece of padding and carpet uggh...please help me out.

2. Member
    I padded each lid then carpeted each lid. The padding doesn't have to be one piece, just make sure the edges line up.
    Josh Hathcoat
    Claremore, OK.
    2009 Ranger 208VX
    Yamaha 225 HPDI Series 2

3. Banned
    The padding can be in sections. It is best to try to plan your usage where the two edges you butt together are "factory edges" and not edges you cut. Their's are perfectly straight, so water will not sit between the two pieces at the joint. Be sure to get the right glue for the padding (Birdsong if you are using ProTech pad.)

For carpet, you should not piece two pieces together on any one area. In other words, each lid or deck should be one piece.

4. Member
    Here's a tip for cutting edges of padding that line up perfectly with no overlap, if you're going to use two pieces "spliced" together in an area. Overlap the two edges to be joined by 1", and place your metal straight edge down the center of the overlap where you want the cut to be. Pressing down hard on your straight edge, and using your knee to hold it in place, use a sharp razor blade to cut against the straight edge, and through both pieces of padding at the same time. The cut will automatically result in two edges that mate up perfectly, even if the cut is a bit off and wavy.

This is an old veneering trick, and I'm a professional furniture maker.

5. Banned
    I've done that one many times on other projects walleyeguy, and you're correct it will work. You also have to watch that knee with the razor knife, LOL. I can usually plan the layout with two factory edges butted together, then the only thing I have to cut is the non-straight trim edge.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXguy201 View Post
    I've done that one many times on other projects walleyeguy, and you're correct it will work. You also have to watch that knee with the razor knife, LOL. I can usually plan the layout with two factory edges butted together, then the only thing I have to cut is the non-straight trim edge.
    For sure on the safety tidbit. My thoughts on providing that thought were just in case no factory straight edges were available.....otherwise that would be the easiest plan to follow.

7. Member
    A MOST important factoid is you have to make sure the grain of the carpet is the same on all surfaces or it will really look odd.

8. Member
    Re-carpeted my 96 Ranger 487VS with padded front deck. Used Pro-Tech 3/8” virgin…I can stand all day on front end now. Rich at Boatworxva got me the carpet, padding, and birdsong adhesive (in quarts-Huge Win). This was my first time and Rich gave me his cell. He gave me several tremendous tips that saved me a lot of headache, especially when it came to installing the padding and cutting it at an angle. My boat looks amazing for a 30 year old boat!

9. Member
    Cut angles at the hinge, 45 minimum. Every other place cut it straight, cut those at an angle and you'll have big azz gaps.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    Cut angles at the hinge, 45 minimum. Every other place cut it straight, cut those at an angle and you'll have big azz gaps.
    What about edges next to gunnels? Wouldn't you need a bit of gap there?