Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Speed? 201 PRO w/ 225 Evinrude.

Hey Guys, Just figured I would ask. I have a 1990 201 pro w/ 225 Evinrude Vindicator. The guy I purchased from said he always ran 58 mph on GPS. Boat came with a 24 vlt TM, so it only had 3 batteries in it when I got it. I put 4 new Everstart 27's in it when I purchased a MG tour 109 Trolling motor. First time I took her out I was hitting 58-59 MPH with passenger & gear. After that first outing I have only been able to get her up to 55-56 mph. But I see guys on here with the same rig (some even have 200hp) and they say they are getting close to 68mph. Is there something wrong with my rig?? what could be causing this loss of speed/power. I did a compression check a couple months ago and everything was perfect....PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO GO FASTER lol

If you don't have a jackplate, getting one will help. I'd recommend a 6 in setback manual plate. Set the prop shaft 3.5 under and move up until you start losing speed or bowlift. I'd also reccomend getting a 25p TRO4. You should be able to get 65 out of it with gear, maybe with a passenger. I can get 68 mph out of mine but that's in the best of conditions - not in the summer heat. Also, I believe the early 90s 201's are a few mph slower than the mid to late 90s models due to changes in the hull design. Hopes that help.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

I had a 1994 201 with a 1993 Johnson 200 that would run 72.2 all day long. Several thought I had had the motor "worked" but it was 100% stock. I was runnin a original Raker prop that I had worked and a 6 inch jackplate set at 3.25 below pad turning 6000 RPM and 18 PSI water pressure.

In your setup you did not mention your RPM or water pressure. You should be turning 5800 - 6000 RPM and a minimum of 18 PSI water pressure. If you want more speed, start with a 6 inch jackplate (larger is of NO benifit) When you get water pressure and RPM's right then move to the prop. Realistic numbers should have you running around 68-69 GPS
    "I see dead people"

4. Banned
    the motor is a 1998 Evinrude vindicator, There is a jackplate on the boat but it probably isnt set correct, prop is a 4 blade shooter...From what I can remember from this past summer, I was only getting around 4800-5000 rpm??

5. Member
    I would check and see how low is the motor on the plate . Want to start around 3.50 below pad and rise a 1/4 inch at a time untill .you lose water pressure are speed . Iam not a OMC guy , but most guy's are running the Raker prop.

Loose that shooter prop. It don't do nothing but exactly what its doing to your rig. Get a raker and watch fuel economy and speed go up.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

7. Member
    Before you go too far changing things, think about why you lost the 3 mph and that will tell you how the change you made affects your boat. What changed after the first run, did you fill the tank up completely and are you carrying more weight. The longer you have the boat the more weight such as tackle and tools and gas, etc you seem to load into it. Most boats are weight sensitive, another thing I did with mine was to load the heavy gear at the back and put the light gear in the front compartments. try to get the speed back and then look at ways of improving. Little steps will help you get to know your boat.

8. Banned
    Actually I would say there is less weight in it now than when I had it up to 59 mph. Thats why I was dumbfounded when it started running slower. I'm gonna sell my shooters and purchase a Raker. Fuel Economy with the shooter is horrible!! What pitch Raker would you guys suggest for this rig? how many blades...etc?

I would try a 24p but you may be able to turn a 26p depending on how the ol rude is running. Should be a high 60's boat with the new raker prop. I would see if somebody would let you try out theirs before you buy. Also make sure motor height is at 3.5 before you try the new prop. The shooter usually runs deeper than other props. Hope this helps ya.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

10. Banned
    Thanks guys, would one of ya mind shooting me a link where I can buy one of these rakers? I cant seem to find them ?

11. Member
    Have you looked over on the prop forum .They some time pop up over there .

12. Banned

Try and find an original Raker, not the Raker II, if you can. The original was a better prop. A 26 pitch will probably be a bit much. Most of those hull boats ran a 24 pitch or a 25 pitch. I would begin by looking at your current setup before dropping money on a prop. Maximize what you have then look for other options. From what I am reading so far your RPM's are too low. You should be turning 5800 - 6000. set your motor at 3.5 below pad and adjust up or down based on water pressure and RPM's.
    "I see dead people"

14. Banned
    stupid question...What do you guys mean "set 3.5 below pad"?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

16. Banned
    Thank you Sir!

17. Banned
    Gonna measure it today...Another stupid question...HOW DO I ADJUST OR MOVE THE MOTOR UP OR DOWN ON THE MANUAL JACKPLATE>>PICS TO COME.

18. Banned
    Just realized the prop that is on it now is 13 1/4 x 27p...Im thinking this could be the problem?

19. Banned
    ????

The 27 vary well could be your problem. As for your jackplate adjustment, it would help to know what jackplate you have. Post a photo of it and then someone can tell you how to adjust it.
    "I see dead people"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast