Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ???

We have a world class Aero museum nearby that regularly flies P51's, Spitfires, Hurricane, & a heap of other including a Sabre & what I think is one of the last flying Vampires.

A mate has got my interest going & wants me to go with him to shoot some shots, has anyone tried this..???, what length lens are you sing, .

Ive already got a 28/300 & a 200/400 that goes about 600mm on my DSLR..

Anyone got Airshow shots ???

One thing ive been brushing up on is NOT to use a shutter speed any faster than 250th on the Warbirds so I get the prop blur..

2. Member

Re: Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ??? (Angry)

I have only shot pics at one air show. I used my 70/200 with a doubler on it for almost all of the in air stuff i took. I sww a lot of folks with 400's and 600's that day.

Heres some pics from it, personally i dont think they came out great mainly because of the overcast day and very little contrast between the plane and sky. This was more of a learning effort for me since i had never taken pics at one before.

http://jbfoto.smugmug.com/Even...ZBfN6

3. Member

Re: Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ??? (jb882)

Thnx JB....I agre with the sky being Ocast....maybe a bit of PS on these will improve contrast...

Nice all the same

I too have only shot 1 airshow. Check out a few of my better images at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tshooter/
    I believe most of the airshow images are on page 3 or 4?

I shot most of those with a Vivitar 100-400 / 4.5 lens. Manual focused everything when the planes were flying (mainly because the auto focus was, ah, shall I say, a bit slower than my current lenses)

The thing that helped me out the most was the cloud cover. Man, it was like having the perfect light box all day long. Don't see many days like that around here.

I have a few from last year that I captured with my 18-200 and polarizer.

?? the 28-300 you have is a Canon L ?? I'm looking to purchase one, yours for sale?

<br /><br />
    Modified by timberland at 5:25 PM 1/12/2012

Modified by timberland at 5:28 PM 1/12/2012
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

6. Member

Re: Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ??? (timberland)

I have a Tamron 28/300 but my gear is Sony.

I am thinking about going to Canon, purely so I can get a lot more choice in longer/bigger Lens , like 300F4, 400F4, 300F2.8........I dream ....

Theres a lot more Second Hand Canon Lens out there than Sony's

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Angry &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have a Tamron 28/300 but my gear is Sony............

</td></tr></table>

Hmmm..... I may have to rent the 28-300 and the 70-200 with a 1.4 or 2.0 teleconvertor and do a little comparison of my own. Cheaper to rent a $150 piece of glass than spend $2000 and wish I had the other one.

The shots above were hand held with my T1i on a very bright / hazy day......I was practicing my panning captures at 250-500 mph, some worked and some not so good at least I didn't pay to develop them.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

8. Member

heres a tip,... hire a 70/200 2.8 & use your D7 with shutter priority ,

start a few with the shutter at 250th, then set the shutter speed at say 150th then try to get down to around 90th/100th... that'll get the prop blur happening..

I used to shoot heaps of Karts when I raced then (10yrs ago) my fav Kart shots were panning at approx 80th with heaps of background blur...pity its all on film !!!!

I always found panning , I needed to swing a few times & warm up a bit before I could get a good sting of shots

I should dig some out & scan a few....trouble with scans they lack so much detials & dynamic range.

Hows the focus on your 7D ???? is it quick, ????, I have Canon weilding friend who advised to to get a 7D , rather than a 1DsMk111, or even a 1DsMk2

He thinks that for what I want a 7D with say a 100/300 F4 would be fine...

Modified by Angry at 3:15 AM 1/14/2012

The planes I captured with my T1i last summer.... the lens / camera combo is a little slow on focus so I had to speed it up a lot to get any shots.

As for the 7D...one of the biggest reasons for my purchase of this camera was for it's advertised speed ....I'm debating now of buying a 70-200L 2.8 IS II with a 1.4 teleconvertor OR...a 28-300L 3.5 - 5.6. Focus is excellent with the 7D IMO...many web articles bash it for soft focus.... I must of got a good one because I haven't seen it. I shot an owl a couple of weeks ago with my 7D and 18-200 ....biggest problem was I needed more reach, as I was at max- 200mm.

10. Member

I have the 7D with the 70-200L 2.8 IS II and a 1.4 converter.
    The converter does slow the focus speed down. For action I would go with a len, with the reach you need, without a converter. Your owl type shots would be just fine using a converter. Curt

11. Member

Re: Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ??? (Curt Wilke)

Interesting to hear from someone who ACTUALLY ownes the Camera & Lens I've been thinking about.

Read a few reports about the 70/200 2.8 the Series II version is supposed to be realy good.

got any action pics youve taken with it ???

12. Member

Sorry, no action photos to share.
    Jim has the 7D with the 70-200 series I.
    He has posted a few baseball and basketball shots with the combo.
    Curt

13. Member

Re: Anyone shooting Air shows /Planes ??? (Curt Wilke)

I cant believe it, the Minister for War & Finance, Mrs Angry , has agreed to allow me to update my Camera !!!!

The major electronics chain store was advertising a Special on Canons & I casually commented that I would like to update the Sony to Canon because I can get a lot better choice of big glass ..

She agreed !!

Looks like Im off to buy a 7D ,,...wondering wwhat lenses they got....A freind has a 300F4 & a 70/200 2.8 that he has offered to lend me ....

Think the Sonys going on line ...

14. Member

Congrats on the wife letting you get a 7D, you will realle like the camera. I could nto be happier with mine overall.

Curt is right i do have a 70-200 series 1. thats the lens i took the vast majority of the shots in that airshow gallery with. Some were straight up and a lot were with a 2x teleconverter on it.

15. Richard Jennings timberland's Avatar

Check out this forum for some awesome deals on a 7D http://photography-on-the.net/...p?f=9
    ...seems like I see a lot of Canon stuff for sale in Australia on it....you have to register to see the sale part of this forum though. Congrats on the new housing Mr. hen pecked

16. Member

Thanks boys I got it.

As for how my House runs , just let me tell you , I make the decisions & I tell my Mrs how its gunna happen...no quetions ......just as long as she tells me its OK.

Ive been married for 28 years...to the same woman !!, she lets me do pretty much what I like, as long as I do a few chores around the house..