Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Yes... I plan to do so... thanks
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    Fellas... just curious if this rattle is intermittent or does this always happen at those RPM ranges? I have I guess what I would call a rattle/ringing noise at certain RPM ranges and motor tilt positiion combined... however it doesn't always rattle/ring while in that RPM range and tilt position. Mine is intermittent. And I will add that I haven't had the lower cowls off to investigate further. I will do that as soon as she comes home from the fiberglass shop.
    +1 to Savage's suggestion. I recommend the "hose" method- it's quick, inexpensive, and quite simple.

Sound generated CAN be intermittent (but most commonly is generated in the 3500 RPM range, at SOME (or varied) trim angle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    The hose trick works! The rattle drove me nuts!! No more...
    Champion 206
    250XB

What is the inner diameter of the hose everyone is using? And if this hose were to fall off, where would it end up? Thanks again!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    5/8" ID (Fuel VENT hose works great... next best choice would be Heater Hose from an Auto-Parts Store).

If it "fell off" (VERY unlikely), it would probably remain trapped between the lower cowling and the driveshaft housing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sounds good... will do Don. Thanks!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

7. Member
    Don, ( or someone else) would you please explain the first step in separating the lower cowlings. "Pull cowling seal up from PORT side lower cowling (starting at the front, working to the center/back)" I'm not sure where the location of the cowling seal and do not want to mess up. Include picture if not too much trouble. The other steps you explained are pretty clear. Thanks.

8. Member
    Got it done without any issues. Thanks so much to all of you, especially Don, for making these small jobs easy.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brenlen View Post
    Got it done without any issues. Thanks so much to all of you, especially Don, for making these small jobs easy.
    Glad to hear it. And as you found, the cowling seal is (exactly) as simple as the description.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamale View Post
    Mine is still rattling after this mod. I am know fairly confident that the rattling sound is coming from the tilt lock lever.

I use a transom saver and have no use for that thing. Can I remove it? Is there a way to tighten it?

I can see where it is worn. When I am trimmed all the way down and run in that rattling RPM range I dont get the rattling sound because that thing is tucked up in there and firmly pressed against something.
    I had the same problem. It's the steering mechanism. Loosen pivot bolt and pack with grease then tighten. B

11. Member
    Bear River City, Ut. okieinutah@comcast.net
    Don, Pulled my lower cowl tonight for the same rattle, I found the rub areas as everyone has described but the obvious was the shift linkage, it was extremely loose 2 or 3 threads before snug and the linkage was sagging probably 1/2 inch, it had rubbed a significant spot in the cowl. My question for you, I grabbed my maintenance manual and it says to torque to 20 ft lbs, unless I read it wrong. I noticed you said snug and then back off 3/4, just want to make sure I have this correct before putting it back together. Thanks.,

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okieinutah View Post
    Don, Pulled my lower cowl tonight for the same rattle, I found the rub areas as everyone has described but the obvious was the shift linkage, it was extremely loose 2 or 3 threads before snug and the linkage was sagging probably 1/2 inch, it had rubbed a significant spot in the cowl. My question for you, I grabbed my maintenance manual and it says to torque to 20 ft lbs, unless I read it wrong. I noticed you said snug and then back off 3/4, just want to make sure I have this correct before putting it back together. Thanks.,
    Need engine info to accurately answer.

13. Member
    Is this noise when coming off of pad or all the time through the rpm range? I have a rattle or noise when i come off pad, the noise will stop if i trim down? There is no noise during hole shot. 2008 250 pro xs

14. Member
    Rattle happens normally around 3500 RPM. Perform the procedure and see if it works for your problem.

15. Member
    Bear River City, Ut. okieinutah@comcast.net
    Sorry I left that out. It's a 2009 250 pro xs

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try the HOSE method shown in Post#1. It works the majority of the time, and is VERY simple.

Are there any current pics of this mod? The ones from page 1 are not working.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will need to re-take photos and host them here on BBC. Most of the remote picture hosting sites decided to block access so there's a lot of this type of stuff that is missing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234