-08 175 pro xs running very cold!

Hi, my motors run very cold in cold water.
    Last years last run the temp in lake was 52f and motor temp 78,8f
    water pressure wot 14,36 psi.
    And now the salmon season start and the lake is only 35,5-37,5f so what should i do.
    I have boiling my t-stats and fully open at 143-144 f what is my problem?
    I hope Don the merc guru has some answer

/
    Bola...From a very sunny Sweden..........

Modified by Bola at 11:34 AM 4/6/2009

Modified by Bola at 11:34 AM 4/6/2009

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: -08 175 pro xs running very cold! (Bola)

Watch your temps AT IDLE SPEED. If you can achieve 120+ degrees... you're good to go.

Water flow is controlled by the POPPET VALVE at higher RPM's (at wide open throttle- you have WIDE OPEN FLOW). Once the poppet valve is open, the thermostats are rendered inoperative, until the engine drops below 1500 RPM or so.

Cold water WOT temps will be LOW... and your results will vary according to water temperature.

50 Degree water will often yield 80-88 degree running temps at WOT.

Remember to allow your engine to idle for 60 seconds or so before shutdown... this will help to stabilize the engine temps.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Re: -08 175 pro xs running very cold! (EuropeanAM)

Thanks for quick reply.
    Yesterday on a gardenhose, hosetemp 48,2 f engine at idle 550 rpm 138 - 140f,
    engine at 1200 rpm 89,6f.
    I want to fish in 77 f water temp, it´s very cold in spring/fall in our two great salmon lakes,
    i think the engine gonna run to cold?

/
    Bola......

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for quick reply.
    Yesterday on a gardenhose, hosetemp 48,2 f engine at idle 550 rpm 138 - 140f,
    engine at 1200 rpm 89,6f.
    I want to fish in 77 f water temp, it´s very cold in spring/fall in our two great salmon lakes,
    i think the engine gonna run to cold?

/
    Bola......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your engine was designed to run in a "wide variety" of operating climates... from water temps bordering freezing, up through water temps in tropical climates.

The KEY, is to allow your engine to REACH operating temperature before accelerating... and after it has reached target temps (on your particular engine, 130 degrees is a good target), SLOWLY accelerate to running speed... perhaps in 500 RPM increments.

When you come to a "stop"... allow the engine to idle for at least 60 seconds... watch the engine temp to ensure that the engine comes back up to your "130 degree" target temp.

Following these steps will help to allow for "controlled expansion of internal engine components".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

Thanks Don for your fast reply...

Direct when i´m hit the gas (from correct temp) the temperatur goes down, the colder the lake is the colder my motor runs.
    Can the poppet valve be open all the time?

This morning on the hose at 1200 rpm motor goes down to 26C = 78,8 f, from idle temp
    58C =136,4f why?
    /
    Bola

Modified by Bola at 9:24 AM 4/9/2009

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Don for your fast reply...

Direct when i´m hit the gas (from correct temp) the temperatur goes down, the colder the lake is the colder my motor runs.
    Can the popper valve be open all the time?

This morning on the hose at 1200 rpm motor goes down to 26C = 78,8 f, from idle temp
    58C =136,4f why?
    /
    Bola
    </TD></TR></TABLE>

Water pressure builds with RPM. Your "ProXS" probably does not have a water pressure transfer tube running from the top of the block down to the poppet valve (I've got a 200XS here right now with a similar issue).

Essentially, it was expected that the engine wouldn't be running at low RPM's for anything "other than warmup at idle"... and the tube was left out to raise water pressure at mid-high RPM's.

What's your idle-rpm water pressure?

7. Member

Thank you for the superfast reply your the man..........

I think it was 0,33 bar =4,78 psi at 550 rpm, is tube on the inside or outside of the engine? Do i have to take the engine apart to fix it? Can you take a picture so i can look on my engine?

/
    Bola................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Give me a couple of days to finish up the one I have here (and test it)... then I'll get back to you on "how to do it".

9. Member

ok, thank you for taking time
    Mybe i could go fishing this spring after all

/
    Bola...........

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Bola:

4.78 psi at idle SHOULD be ok for your engine... although it will start to open the poppet valve by 1000 RPM.

You could check to see if you have a water pressure bypass tube running from the top of the block, down the right or starboard side, and connecting to a fitting on the poppet valve cover.

The 200XS I had here ended up needing one... it targeted out at about 4.5 psi water pressure when warm. If you do not have the tube... you may be able to add it. This requires a substantial amount of caution to confirm that you retain adequate water pressure, and that idle temps remain within reasonable limits.

In the case of the one I was working on, we ended up with a 5/16" ID hose, and added restrictors in the hose to cut the size down to approximately 5/32" ID.

I do, however, feel that you are probably just fine- as long as your temps come up at idle.

11. Member

Ok, if i get a solution on my problem i´ll post it here this is a great site...
    We still have ice on my lake but the salmon fishing is great a little bit south from where i living.
    cheers to you Don for taking time with me.......

/
    Bola..........