Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997 200 venom vro problem?

Started out the day and motor ran great. Went to move, got her up on plane and then she fell flat on her face, motor died. Started back up but the only way to keep her running was to pump ball. While running the boat under load (only 5mph), the alarm and warning light came on with "no oil" illuminated. I've read a lot about oiler failure shutting down gas flow to protect engine, can I assume this is the case, (because pumping the ball was the only way to keep it running) and replace the vro? As you all know its not a cheap part to replace...however, it is a 15 year old original vro, and if its not bad now how long will it be before it goes bad and causes major damage?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: 1997 200 venom vro problem? (lunkersmith)

You need to replace it as soon as you can. Contact manalive79 here, he has a good one for sale. Click on his profile and send him an e-mail.

More than likely it is the VRO going out, You could verify that its not a fuel tank or supply hose by trying it with one of the portable tanks and see if it does it with that.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

4. Member

Re: 1997 200 venom vro problem? (Melton Muskie)

Going to a remote tank with a oil gas mix...do you know if its 50:1 or what the correct ratio is? And am I connecting it to the vro inlet? and plugging the oil inlet side? (still using the vro to pump gas to carb) Sorry for acting confused...but I am.

5. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by lunkersmith &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Going to a remote tank with a oil gas mix...do you know if its 50:1 or what the correct ratio is? And am I connecting it to the vro inlet? and plugging the oil inlet side? (still using the vro to pump gas to carb) Sorry for acting confused...but I am. </td></tr></table>

ALL correct.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: 1997 200 venom vro problem? (THE WITCHDOCTOR)

Oil tank full and oil primer bulb firm? Oil at the oil inlet on the pump? More than likely it is the fuel side of the pump goine bad. Have you gone through an abundance of oil?

7. Member

Re: 1997 200 venom vro problem? (ChampioNman)

Tank was 80% and (after 1hour of run time @ 45-50mph) its down to 40% so I would say YES...The ball was rock hard and had oil at inlet to the pump.
    Would fuel side of pump activate the "no oil" warn light?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

yep replace the pump with what ever flavor you prefer. Gas only or the updated part. Pretty sure if it went bad it if anything overoiled and probably dumped a bunch of oil into the carbs. That is why you had to keep pumping the bulb.

9. Member

Re: 1997 200 venom vro problem? (ChampioNman)

I appreciate your knowledge on this CMan, but I'm leery of the updated part.
    Whats the updated part about and do you recommend it? Thanks

i have a working VRO . let me know if you need one . it was on a 1998 200 vindicator.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by lunkersmith &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    I appreciate your knowledge on this CMan, but I'm leery of the updated part.
    Whats the updated part about and do you recommend it? Thanks</td></tr></table>

Nothing to be leery about. They (OMC/BRP) made some changes to the diaphrams, improved the oiling circuit and made the inlet and outlet ports removable to make the Pumps more universal. It is a 4 wire harness compatable with your system. BRP constantly superceeds part numbers when they make a change.

I still got that VRO from the 2001 Johnson that you had messaged me about, if you need it. It was actually put on in 2003. So it is about 9 years old now. It works good.

13. Member
    It looks like I need a new pump on my 200 Vindicator too, had the same experience of Lunkersmith. My local mechanic recommends I go to the fuel pump only and mix my own oil, but should I really do that on a 1996 OMC or trust the new VRO2 that I's heard about?

I've heard some strong opinions on how these motors run 40:1 at high speed, etc.
    $300 for fuel only pump, $600 for fuel and oil. Will my 200 Evinrude perform just as well if start pre-mixing my own 50:1?
    Stratos 201 Pro, Evinrude 200 Vindicator
    Sprint 276 Pro Tournament, Johnson 150 FastSrike
    ProCraft 17, Evinrude 115

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    wow you did some digging reviving a 11 year old thread...If you want to R/R the VRO/OMS pump the latest number is 5007420 stay with OEM don't get anything off of Amazon they are all overseas knock offs and won't work a flip. If yo decide to premix, you'll need a dual stacked pump. WWW.marineengine.com sells a dual stacked pump from Engineered Marine Products. www.promarine-usa.com sells their version and www.maxrules.com sells his version very close to pro marines. All three will mount on your current VRO bracket. Mix ratio is closer to 50:1 at WOT. Pumps are in the $200.00 range.

15. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which way to go. I'm not against mixing my own oil like 2 local mechanics suggested, but buying OEM (now Bombardier) seems safe and simpler to change at home. It should down on me yesterday running back to the dock, and I could start it if I pumped the fuel bulb. And the VRO pump leaks from the black square housing when I push my finger on it.

From Youtube, Changing the pumps looks very easy for an average DIY guy.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You will need an assistant to pump the oil bulb while you slide the oil hose on the fitting to purge air and prime the oil side. Other than that pretty easy.

17. Member
    I replaced my VRO with the stacked pump from marine engine.com 5 years ago and pre mix…… zero issues since

18. Member
    I installed the EMP double stack last week. And this week I am installing a power pack. The wires going to the coils looks straight forward, and hoping the others in the box are obvious.

19. Member
    In case anyone wants an update, and it might be helpful to someone. Last Spring I went through 2 more diaphragm fuel pumps. Called a trusted mechanic that I've know for 20 years who suggested a Mr gasket electric fuel pump. He said he had done 100's of these for these thirsty V6's. It started running great. But before I got finished, I discovered at least 2 gallons of water in one of my 201 gas tanks, and when I pulled the VRO oil reservoir, it had water in the bottom too! I am guessing water in oil and gas are deadly to an engine and diaphragm pumps. Still happy with my electric fuel pump!

I think I have my motor too low on 6"jp at 4 1/4", since i have 30 lbs of water psi at WOT, 62 mph, 5400 RPMs, with 26 Raker. Trying to dial in a winter prop, and run the 24 Raker in the warmer weather. Wondering will bow lift more when Raker and 200 rude revs higher?
    Last edited by H2OSprint; 12-18-2023 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixing 200 Evinrude and best Set Up

I would put aside the OMC props and get a Merc prop. I say this because of experience. A Carbed 200 pushing a 201 is Okay with a Raker but you will get more performance with a prop like a Trophy or Tempest. They have the PVS venting system which really help with the hole shot. They will lift that boat out of the water better as well. If you do get a Merc prop you want to get the Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit. Don't bother with the Merc brand of hub kit, trust me. My guess is a 24 or 25P and yes raise the engine 1/4'' at a time until you lose WP or stop gaining RPM and speed. Watch your RPMs too, I think 5800 is max on that engine.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast