Power Trim Problems

I have a 2000 Stratos w/ 2000 Johnson 175 on it. I went out fishing here yesterday, and found that the Trim buttons in the boat did not work, I was able to trim the motor up and down from the button's on the motor, but the trim buttons on the boat would not do a thing.... Checked all fuses that I could find and relays too.....Can anyone tell me where there would be a Trim Fuse at ?

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: Power Trim Problems (waterrat)

If it's working at the engine, indications are in wiring on the boat. Check wiring, especially at control lever...

3. Member

Re: Power Trim Problems (Bassmeister)

Thanks,, Bassmeister I was not wanting to good there was hoping it was a fuse somewhere I was over looking......Here goes nothing.....

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

The wires at the controls, some times will chafe and cause momentary problems, or a loose wire will kill the two circuits in the boat.....

5. Member

Where should I start looking at first ?

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

The wires at the shift lever is where I'd start, and any wire connections going to pro trim at the wheel, and the bow switch....

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Bassmeister &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">........and any wire connections going to pro trim at the wheel, and the bow switch....</td></tr></table>

Mikey nailed it. If this is a second-hand boat, you might be very surprised to find out how some of the stuff is "done" by folks. The first time I looked under the console on mine I almost had a heart attack.

Start at the front trim switch. Check the connections at the switch. Then trace the wires and see where they're tied in. Do the same with the trim at the console if so equipped. It will take a little time and detective work, but I'd be willing to bet you find a botched up wiring job.

8. Member

Re: Power Trim Problems (Hair Jig)

Thanks, I am about to take the shiftier off now and have a look it has to be there cause I can not find anything anywhere else .....and yes it is second hand boat, I am the boats third owner, and if I cut all the old wires that ain't going to anything I could loose 75 lbs of wire....I have just about rebuilt this boat also wiring is the last thing I have to replace on it now.....

9. Member
    if up and down are dead I would bet the 12V supply to the switch is out / broken

if I had a wiring diagram I would follow +12v from the engine to the switch if not, i'd work from the switch to the engine.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by waterrat &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> and if I cut all the old wires that ain't going to anything I could loose 75 lbs of wire....</td></tr></table>

You can bring it over here and pile it on top of the 50 pounds that I took out of mine.

Maybe we can sell it to the scrap yard.

11. Member
    did u find the bug

12. Member

Re: (Crosbyman)

Waterrat, I don't mean to be trying to take over your post but I also have similar problems. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. It seems as though I have a short somewhere, just out of the blue the trim will start trimming down the motor on my boat. It does not have to be running or any body in it, and it does not do it all of the time. What is going on? Stratos 2006... 2010 250 E-tec.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: (Volnation)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Volnation &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Waterrat, I don't mean to be trying to take over your post but I also have similar problems. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. It seems as though I have a short somewhere, just out of the blue the trim will start trimming down the motor on my boat. It does not have to be running or any body in it, and it does not do it all of the time. What is going on? Stratos 2006... 2010 250 E-tec.</td></tr></table>

Replace the trim relay. It is a warranty item.

14. Member

Re: (ChampioNman)

The warranty through Evinrude or Stratos?

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Re: (Volnation)

Evinrude.