Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: state regulation (mikes05triton)

there was no fog on the upper end at all.

Re: state regulation (JC25)

One death is too many when it comes to fishing a tournament. Seriously, how often is boat safety and rules even brought up unless you are talking with a few buddies at the ramp about some idiot. Also, look at all of the young people who have less experience who are able to get in a bass boat and run 70 down the lake. Not that age has alot to do with it but experience does. How many times have you been running slowly in the fog only to have several boats whiz by at high speed?

It is obvious that water patrol cannot make a difference, so is it worth some type of regulation to save even one life? What if it was a four year safety certification?

3. Member

Re: state regulation (Mike Daleo)

The initial post to this thread suggests state regulation to govern the size of tournaments on bodies of water. I don't agree with this thought.

I am surprised however that their isn't some form of liscencing required to operate a boat with an outboard.

With all this said however, I believe both parties involved in the accident were very experienced boaters.

4. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Mike Daleo &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">One death is too many when it comes to fishing a tournament. Seriously, how often is boat safety and rules even brought up unless you are talking with a few buddies at the ramp about some idiot. Also, look at all of the young people who have less experience who are able to get in a bass boat and run 70 down the lake. Not that age has alot to do with it but experience does. How many times have you been running slowly in the fog only to have several boats whiz by at high speed?

It is obvious that water patrol cannot make a difference, so is it worth some type of regulation to save even one life? What if it was a four year safety certification?</td></tr></table>

You make alot of sense, Mike!

5. Member

Re: state regulation (Slopfishin)

20 years ago I would have been against regulation limits to tournaments on said lake...today...I'm for it. There are too many patch pirate jackasses out there, too many (edit) that want to fight over a 50 acre flat, too many KVD wannabees, and DAMN SURE TOO MANY TOURNAMENT CIRCUITS. Regulate the tournaments and protect those that are too stupid to protect themselves. Yes, in theory, this is the same as gov't regulation in any other aspect of life and I know it's impeding on your god given freedoms that so many of you fought and died for but this is ridiculous to be even having this conversation. If law would have limited the amount of super duper joe schmo stumpbuster tournament division regional super stakes qualifier tournaments on KY lake last weekend, a good southern lady and her children may have their father right now. 1 death is TOO MANY. Driving classes, operators license, or SOMETHING. I've only ridden with a few people, but back from my days of co-angling, quite of few of them couldn't drive their thumb up their asses, much less navigate a 75 mph boat when another 75 mph boat is coming at you head on. I'll tell you this much, KY lake is an amazing fishery and my best fishing memories come from that lake, but I don't miss that place one damn bit, every time I've been there in the last 3 years I've either been in a scary boat incident or had some jackwagon get all salty because he could see me at the other side of the bay I was fishing. Its a stupid fish...just took a little enlightening to see that. Damn sure not worth a life. "No it can't happen to me, I've been running boats for 20 years, I can drive this thing through 10 footers out here, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OUT HERE"...Look at the victims last week and ask yourself if you're a better boat operator than that guy and it happened to him.
    Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

6. Banned

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Mike Daleo &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">One death is too many when it comes to fishing a tournament. Seriously, how often is boat safety and rules even brought up unless you are talking with a few buddies at the ramp about some idiot. Also, look at all of the young people who have less experience who are able to get in a bass boat and run 70 down the lake. Not that age has alot to do with it but experience does. How many times have you been running slowly in the fog only to have several boats whiz by at high speed?

It is obvious that water patrol cannot make a difference, so is it worth some type of regulation to save even one life? What if it was a four year safety certification?</td></tr></table>

Agreed. Something needs to be done. Just go to Yatesville Lake on a Saturday. Usually no less than two tournaments launching on a 2100 acre lake. Lots of idiots who think that they can run a boat through anything.
    Too many circuits and too many idiots.

Re: state regulation (buzzking)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by buzzking &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">20 years ago I would have been against regulation limits to tournaments on said lake...today...I'm for it. There are too many patch pirate jackasses out there, too many (edit) that want to fight over a 50 acre flat, too many KVD wannabees, and DAMN SURE TOO MANY TOURNAMENT CIRCUITS. Regulate the tournaments and protect those that are too stupid to protect themselves. Yes, in theory, this is the same as gov't regulation in any other aspect of life and I know it's impeding on your god given freedoms that so many of you fought and died for but this is ridiculous to be even having this conversation. If law would have limited the amount of super duper joe schmo stumpbuster tournament division regional super stakes qualifier tournaments on KY lake last weekend, a good southern lady and her children may have their father right now. 1 death is TOO MANY. Driving classes, operators license, or SOMETHING. I've only ridden with a few people, but back from my days of co-angling, quite of few of them couldn't drive their thumb up their asses, much less navigate a 75 mph boat when another 75 mph boat is coming at you head on. I'll tell you this much, KY lake is an amazing fishery and my best fishing memories come from that lake, but I don't miss that place one damn bit, every time I've been there in the last 3 years I've either been in a scary boat incident or had some jackwagon get all salty because he could see me at the other side of the bay I was fishing. Its a stupid fish...just took a little enlightening to see that. Damn sure not worth a life. "No it can't happen to me, I've been running boats for 20 years, I can drive this thing through 10 footers out here, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OUT HERE"...Look at the victims last week and ask yourself if you're a better boat operator than that guy and it happened to him. </td></tr></table>

Well said and I agree with every word

8. Member

When I lived in Alabama, you had to have a boat operator's license - it was an endorsement on your driver's license. It cost $5 and I now know what cans and nuns are, what to do when overtaking a boat, etc. I didn't need to know that stuff before I had to study to pass a test.

In addition to a boat operator's license, I would LOVE to see a boat backing permit - you get 5 minutes to put in your boat and take out your boat. No pass, no boat launching for you! But then again, there are probably some politicians who put their big pleasure rig in once a year who wouldn't vote for that one.

9. Member

Re: state regulation (buzzking)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by buzzking &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">20 years ago I would have been against regulation limits to tournaments on said lake...today...I'm for it. There are too many patch pirate jackasses out there, too many (edit) that want to fight over a 50 acre flat, too many KVD wannabees, and DAMN SURE TOO MANY TOURNAMENT CIRCUITS. Regulate the tournaments and protect those that are too stupid to protect themselves. Yes, in theory, this is the same as gov't regulation in any other aspect of life and I know it's impeding on your god given freedoms that so many of you fought and died for but this is ridiculous to be even having this conversation. If law would have limited the amount of super duper joe schmo stumpbuster tournament division regional super stakes qualifier tournaments on KY lake last weekend, a good southern lady and her children may have their father right now. 1 death is TOO MANY. Driving classes, operators license, or SOMETHING. I've only ridden with a few people, but back from my days of co-angling, quite of few of them couldn't drive their thumb up their asses, much less navigate a 75 mph boat when another 75 mph boat is coming at you head on. I'll tell you this much, KY lake is an amazing fishery and my best fishing memories come from that lake, but I don't miss that place one damn bit, every time I've been there in the last 3 years I've either been in a scary boat incident or had some jackwagon get all salty because he could see me at the other side of the bay I was fishing. Its a stupid fish...just took a little enlightening to see that. Damn sure not worth a life. "No it can't happen to me, I've been running boats for 20 years, I can drive this thing through 10 footers out here, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OUT HERE"...Look at the victims last week and ask yourself if you're a better boat operator than that guy and it happened to him. </td></tr></table>

Along this same train of thought, we shouldn't be allowed to drive vehicles, play sports, climb trees when we're kids, etc. Accidents happen PERIOD. We all grieve for the family, and wish it never happened, but how many tournament related deaths have we had on kentucky lake in the past 10 years. How many car accidents have resulted in a death in your hometown in the past 10 years? We all take risks to do what we love.

10. Member

Re: state regulation (sdkylaker)

last I checked there were a few regulations associated with driving a car. You can't just walk down to the dealership, buy a brand new lambo and wind it out on the interstate without at least having a license....then at that point you have to obey the REGULATIONS....huh? what regulations? Oh yea, speed limit...we won't go there for the time being. BUT...should you chose to ignore these evil big nasty government REGULATIONS and still opt to wind out your brand new shiny red lambo and have an accident guess who's liable? Whether you want to believe it or not, your entire life is regulated already, and for the most part for your benefit. And if the wild western waters are the final unregulated frontier that gives you your freedom and wind beneath said wings, then more power to ya. Can I run a boat, yea a little bit, do I know the rules, yep, sure do. Do I trust another single human being with my life when I meet this bonehead running down the lake at me...nope. The fishery is getting hammered anyways...ask any local there (that doesn't own a local business) what they think about having 900 tournament boats there on the same weekend. Anywho, carry on, rant over before I come off of any more of a communist.

Re: state regulation (Bigtim68)

NO, we have it here and it is a pita, I have not seen any benefit from it.

12. Banned

Re: state regulation (brushnjigs)

More regulation is not the answer. The KDFW has the website to register tournaments, any tourney over 50 boats should have to register and if they don't fine them or something. Don't force more expense onto the average guy.

As far as the locals down there not liking the pressure, sure but without it there wouldn't be anything in that area. That whole area has to have these tournaments in order to survive.

If it scares some people so badly, stay at home. Yes I have a boat that runs 70+ mph but most of the time usually run around 60 and don't do stupid crap. People need to police themselves and quit relying on the governement to do so.

Charlie

13. Member

Re: state regulation (TR21Bassin)

Re: state regulation (brushnjigs) » 5:27 AM 10/14/2010 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More regulation is not the answer. The KDFW has the website to register tournaments, any tourney over 50 boats should have to register and if they don't fine them or something. Don't force more expense onto the average guy.
    As far as the locals down there not liking the pressure, sure but without it there wouldn't be anything in that area. That whole area has to have these tournaments in order to survive.

If it scares some people so badly, stay at home. Yes I have a boat that runs 70+ mph but most of the time usually run around 60 and don't do stupid crap. People need to police themselves and quit relying on the governement to do so.

Charlie

Well said

2005 TR21X DC
    2005 E-Tec 225HO
    75.7 MPH GPS Full Tourney Load 3/4 tank of fuel

14. BBC SPONSOR

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by TR21Bassin &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">More regulation is not the answer. The KDFW has the website to register tournaments, any tourney over 50 boats should have to register and if they don't fine them or something. Don't force more expense onto the average guy.

Charlie</td></tr></table>

Agree totally. I also think if you are going to have a Fee it should be on for profit tournys, such as BFL, ABA MBNA, etc. To many guys have gone to these type tournys to get "paid". I think there needs to be a push back toward good old fashion bass clubs.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by TR21Bassin &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">More regulation is not the answer. The KDFW has the website to register tournaments, any tourney over 50 boats should have to register and if they don't fine them or something. Don't force more expense onto the average guy.

Charlie</td></tr></table>

I agree except on one thing. I would like to see a boaters education coarse be required for anyone to operate a motorized (non-electric) vessel. Other than that if yall want to see a crowded lake come up here to OH!

Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

16. Member

Re: state regulation (Whitaker201)

Well, here is my two cents. I don't think there is anyone here that is on these lakes any more than I am and certainly I am on the water here more than most.

There is a reason I plan the outing with my ol military buddies and friends from the past the first full week of October every year....it is the same thing every year that week with just too many boats out there fishing tournaments. Now that is being said by someone that half their income comes from getting folks ready to fish tournaments.

Do I think tournaments need to be regulated more....not really, but I do think that the folks that run these tournaments need to work together more to try not to have these big tournaments piled on top of one another like last week. There are more weeks in October than just one. This weekend there are a number of small tournaments here but no really big ones...I am sure some of those folks out there in those big tournaments last week would rather have been out there this week with fewer boats.

Bottom line here is, if the industry does not start working together to police themselves...then the politicians with have a knee jerk reaction sooner or later and put some ridiculous regulations on us like only one tournament per lake, permits that cost so much it destroys the club fishing etc....

As far as requiring a license etc.....I have always been in favor of a regulation that does require anyone that operates a boat to have taken and passed a safe boater course such as the KDFW already has in place for folks that want to take it. I don't thnk it would stop anyone that does not have enough common sense to drive their boat safely to do so....anymore than a vehicle operators license does....but it would educate the ignorant of the basic laws of navigation and that could only help....in other words: You can't cure stupidity but you can educate the ignorant.

17. Member

Re: state regulation (fomkydirector)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by fomkydirector &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

When I lived in Alabama, you had to have a boat operator's license - it was an endorsement on your driver's license. It cost $5 and I now know what cans and nuns are, what to do when overtaking a boat, etc. I didn't need to know that stuff before I had to study to pass a test.

In addition to a boat operator's license, I would LOVE to see a boat backing permit - you get 5 minutes to put in your boat and take out your boat. No pass, no boat launching for you! But then again, there are probably some politicians who put their big pleasure rig in once a year who wouldn't vote for that one. </td></tr></table>

I got my first bass rig this past year. I have been around boats alot as a kid and had a tin rig with a 10 horse for a while. Anyway I had the utmost respect for this 50mph machine and took a boater safety course before I went out on the water the first time. I could not believe how others where operating. I almost had to throw everything I learned away i.e. in which situation who is the stand on and give way vessel. I just started trying to keep my distance from others anticipate their moves and shut it down in seconds notice. I definitely agree boating safety courses should be mandatory!

18. Member

Re: state regulation (mkac)

This tragic accident obviously didn't bother one of the parties involved too much as they found a way to get a new boat and make it to the next Regional. Accident or not...at fault or not, I don't see how on earth anyone could get themselves back in a boat in less than 1 week to chase a few dollars following what happened last Friday morning.

19. Member

Re: state regulation (Alliston64)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Alliston64 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">This tragic accident obviously didn't bother one of the parties involved too much as they found a way to get a new boat and make it to the next Regional. Accident or not...at fault or not, I don't see how on earth anyone could get themselves back in a boat in less than 1 week to chase a few dollars following what happened last Friday morning.
    </td></tr></table>

Wow!

20. Member

Re: state regulation (Alliston64)

a week hell, try about 2 days....unreal....simply unreal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast