Barren River Lake water level

when do you guys think the water levels will come down? Wife and granddaughter comming down july 10th for some camping,fishing and caving. thanks guys Dave
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

2. Member

Re: Barren River Lake water level (CATMAN 225)

should be close to summer pool by then if we don't have much rain.

3. Member

Re: Barren River Lake water level (fomkydirector)

Last nights Bowling Green evening News reported that Barren would not be back to summer pool till around the end of June, Barring any more large amounts of rain.
    I have no idea why they are not dumping it other than condition of the Green River which Barren river connect to.
    Also said 3 ramps where open but did not say which ones, DO know state ramp is not usable right now.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

4. Member

Re: Barren River Lake water level (EdDavisKY)

I launched at the Austin boat ramp this weekend. I don't know if I recommend it though. Looked like it had been barricaded by the corps and someone moved it out of the way. There were tons of debris and barely enough room to get your trailer in the water much less dock your boat to pull the trailer back to the parking lot. Parking lot had a ton of glass in the lot also and it looked like it was window glass from vehicles. That lot is so isolated that I am sure it is a thiefs paradise.

Re: Barren River Lake water level (Apextrail)

As of today it is still 20' up. They are pulling it 4" a day. The most that I beleive they can pull or I have seen pull is 6" a day (at close to normal pool). I dont beleive they could pull much more than 4" a day at its current level, too much surface area. If you do the math it would be atleast 40 days to bring it down 20' if they pull 6" a day.
    Personally, I think it will be on a continue draw till it gets to winter pull. We will get more rain which will stall the drawdown. Good news is Nolin has made it to summer pool, so thats allows them to let more out of Barren.

6. Member

Re: Barren River Lake water level (Apextrail)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Apextrail &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I launched at the Austin boat ramp this weekend. I don't know if I recommend it though. Looked like it had been barricaded by the corps and someone moved it out of the way. There were tons of debris and barely enough room to get your trailer in the water much less dock your boat to pull the trailer back to the parking lot. Parking lot had a ton of glass in the lot also and it looked like it was window glass from vehicles. That lot is so isolated that I am sure it is a thiefs paradise. </td></tr></table>

Austin is a thief's paradise. I would be wary of that ramp. It is not maintained by the Corps either. Barren county owns that one and they need to be contacted by everybody until they straighten that place up. It could be a nice ramp, or at least as nice as Walnut Creek, but nobody ever complains enough.

Ed, the three ramps are Baileys Point, Walnut, and the Narrows. The State Park manager is listening to the owner of the Marina who wants the ramp closed so that all the houseboaters and 'tooners have a place to park since the lower lot is under water. The ramp is very usable if they would move the concrete barrier.

Beaver, although they have cleaned it up, is not open because the Corps believes that the big rock outcrop next to the dock is a hazard. Yet they have not closed the area to outside boat traffic. I cannot understand it. The ramp is probably the best one at this water level. If it is that dangerous, then they shouldn't allow a boat in there, period. Why they cannot put a buoy on it, I cannot figure either. Oh by the way, the rock outcropping is about 12 or so feet deep still!!!'

The Corps officer said that they were most concerned with safety. How safe is it to have every boater necked down to 3 spots? Baileys Point had 35 boats in line waiting to get in Saturday around noon. Children were playing ball between the vehicles. How safe is it?

Okay, I feel better. Rant over.

7. Member

Re: Barren River Lake water level (fomkydirector)

Yep its a joke as to why State ramp isn't open. That guy is a JERK towards fishermen! He's also got Walnut Creek leased. He tried to keep the ramp closed but Allen Co. owns it and the Co Judge had to get involved to get it open. Was talking to a guy Sat night while hybrid fishing that confirmed the deal with State being closed. He's got a houseboat there and said if the ramp was opned they wouldn't have anywhere to park. So the public has to suffer for the comfort of a few. Its easier to park a car in the picnic area above the ramp than it is trucks with trailers. EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL THE STATE PARK AT BARREN AND COMPLAIN, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO BE FISHING THERE!!!!! When the park sees that its hurting their business enough maybe they'll put Wayne in his place, back on his precious dock and out of the publics parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!