Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

***Lowrance Structure Scan and Down Scan images from the past***

Lowrance SA loant me their LSS-1 for the weekend again, and I had an absolute blast with it. I found it difficult to force myself to fish, all I wanted to do was look at structure. I eventually found the fish and just had to drop a lure on them.

What an interesting weekend with the Lowrance StructureScan™ (LSS-1) on Inanda Dam. Due to the windy conditions on Friday afternoon, I was restricted to a little bay just before Joe’s Banks. Inanda Dam - KZN - South Africa

Step one was to turn the transducer around on the mounting bracket so that left was left and right was right. You have no idea how confusing this was when I first got to test the LSS-1.

Step two was to create a ‘known structure/cover’ and see how the LSS-1 ‘sees’ it. I wanted to use something light (branch attached to base to keep it upright), that will make it difficult for the LSS-1, because we know it works great on the big heavy stuff (like the stump on the left).

While in left and right side scanning mode, the ‘known structure’ was clearly visible in the water column, also note how clear the spawning beds are. Like dimples on a golf ball.

When searching from a distance, this light structure is not visible at all on the StructureScan, as suspected.

But once passed over in the DownScan mode with a split screen 200kHz view, it becomes VERY clear.

Saturday 14th:- The next exercise was to go over a known tree in Rocky Bay. Due to the water level having dropped by around five feet, this tree is now visible from the surface in the clean water and is in about 24ft of water. The tree and a couple of predators were quite clear in this 83Khz image. But I had no idea what I would find once changing over to DownScan …

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first spotted this tree in DownScan, the detail was just amazing, and not to mention the fry shoaling around the main branch on the left. The predators could also be seen hanging around the tree and in the tree.

After a couple of passes with a Norman DD14 Tennessee Shad I managed to pick up one of the fish a few metres off the tree. You can see the tip of the tree from the surface in this image.

Here’s another great shot of the fry in this tree …

I then remembered another similar tree in Barbel Bay, so I headed off that way to see if the tree would be similar to the one in Rocky Bay. On my way there, slap bang in the middle of the bay, in 50ft of water I came across this showing on the DownScan and immediately took a waypoint (64).

I then changed over to 83kHz on the Broadband and voila, fish everywhere! I took another waypoint in this mode just to be sure (65). These fish seemed to be suspended above an old field of bushes in 50ft of water. On my second pass I noticed that they had moved down a little deeper. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at these fish and I could not get a nibble. I then thought it might be carp or bream, so the only way to find out was to send my camera down on video mode.

Check out this video, unfortunately the original sound track got lost. It was quite classic, because you could actually hear when the camera’s seal went and you could hear it leaking. The Optio W20 is only meant for 3 metres maximum, and I sent it down to nearly 40ft!

Modified by Fishton at 8:10 PM 11/15/2009

Modified by Fishton at 8:11 PM 11/15/2009

2. Member

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (Fishton)

Very Awesome John! Thanks for putting this together

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (hooks2bset)

Bassboatseats.com your one stop seat & carpet
    replacement headquarters
    http://www.bassboatseats.com

4. Member

A lot of time and effort went in to your post. Great job and awesome pics.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (angler557)

Looks great.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Awesome video, well done

Hey Fishton, There is a menu in your HDS that has you Flip/Reverse the transducer. Here is how you get there......... while you are on Structure Page, Press "MENU" once, go down to "STRUCTURE OPTIONS", press the RIGHT arrow button or ENT. Go down to "FLIP LEFT/RIGHT" and press "ENT". That will fix you up on the backwards problem you have right now. I have use this LSS1 alot so far and I love it. Let me know if you need any more help. Thanks.

8. Member

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (MotorGuideAdvantage)

after seeing the hb shots wondering why none of the low are really crisp side scan or down or is it just me i switched from hb so i hope its more impressive than the pics show

cobrabait.com

9. Member

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (MotorGuideAdvantage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorGuideAdvantage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Fishton, There is a menu in your HDS that has you Flip/Reverse the transducer. Here is how you get there......... while you are on Structure Page, Press "MENU" once, go down to "STRUCTURE OPTIONS", press the RIGHT arrow button or ENT. Go down to "FLIP LEFT/RIGHT" and press "ENT". That will fix you up on the backwards problem you have right now. I have use this LSS1 alot so far and I love it. Let me know if you need any more help. Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi MGA,

When I received the LSS-1 from Lowrance SA the cable was in the front and the HDS default is set for cable aft. I turned the transducer around on the bracket, now I don't have to keep remembering to flip left and right.

When I first used the LSS-1 a month ago I did not know this, so you can imagine how difficult that was to try interpret.

10. Member

are you saying the stick u put in the ground was dry when you put it down and now is in 20ft of water? 20 ft would put all the green tree behind u well under water as well.

Just trying to understand what i am seeing

Fishton,
    I am trying to share some screenshots but, I can't figure out how to do it. Are your shots actual photos that are cropped or is it from a log file?

Modified by edowell at 5:07 PM 11/19/2009
    Tightlines,
    Eric

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (edowell)

Eric my guess is that they were taken from the unit. There is a setting in the main menu to turn on the screenshot mode. Turn that on and when you see something hit the power button. It will take the pic and save on the internal memory. The you just transfer it over to the card. You can have what ever screen configuration you want.

Well, mine won't look as good as Fishton's but I was able to get out there and check a couple of thing out. Right out of the box this thing is impressive. I really haven't messed with anything yet. I don't know that I will have to. I ran out to the lake and spent about 30 mins before it got dark tonight. I'll be back out this weekend.

Here you can see my initial pass after I took the boat off the trailer. As you can see we have four lanes The curbs are not really crooked, I had just started to turn away, hince the crooked curb.

These two you can see a fallen tree and standing timber. When I looked at it side by side with 2D it looked like stacked fish. All this time, I thought they were resident fish.

I think there are a couple of fish it the tops of the trees on the left. This is the first time EVER I have gone out and never picked up a rod! Boy, this is gonna be fun!

Modified by edowell at 6:55 PM 2/22/2010
    Tightlines,
    Eric

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Thats some awsome down scan pics. My excitment was calming down now it's going back up.

Also if the recording is on the unit memory you should be able to turn the screenshot feature on and capture it while playing the recording back.

15. Member

Re: Lowrance StructureScan and DownScan (tuckerabbi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuckerabbi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you saying the stick u put in the ground was dry when you put it down and now is in 20ft of water? 20 ft would put all the green tree behind u well under water as well.

Just trying to understand what i am seeing</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a branch I cut off, attached to a stand, tied a rope to the top branch with a marker buoy on the opposite end and dropped it on a suitable spot in a little bay. The base is merely there to weight it down and keep it upright.

16. Member

Like fc said, it's just a screenshot. You can log and take screenshots at the same time on the same memory card.

Tip:- When logging for long periods of time (like when recording for DrDepth,do NOT use more than a 2G card, and use a GOOD one, like the SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III.

Here is a good looking ditch I found while tooling around.

Tightlines,
    Eric

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Nice. Looks like you got the snapshot figured out.

Simply amazing work and I thank you for sharing with us. I have emailed all my fishing buddies to see your work.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

I love this one. I initially thought the round spots were beds but, we are in Nov!
    Hopefully you can see them but, once I zoomed in, you can see they are tires just as plain as day. That ledge looks pretty good too! Guys, I am having a blast. I have marked alot of new places to try.

Tightlines,
    Eric

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast