Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverXpress View Post
    everyone I know that has been diagnosed with sleep apnea recieved a 50% va rating.
    Mostly true, although only if prescribed a CPAP machine. An oral appliance doesn't always equate to 50%. But regarding the 50% rating, the VA has been seriously looking at changing the VASRD to change those ratings for new claims.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    I will say this....to all getting out who is going through the process. I used DAV to try to "help" with my transition, and it was an absolute FAIL. Hopefully I will be betting my BDD rating soon!
    2018 Nitro Z18-SOLD
    2022 Caymas CX20

Quote Originally Posted by JsZ18 View Post
    I will say this....to all getting out who is going through the process. I used DAV to try to "help" with my transition, and it was an absolute FAIL. Hopefully I will be betting my BDD rating soon!
    J
    I'm TDY this week. I'll shoot you a PM with my number/email and if you want I'll see if I can help. Some helpful information would be your current rating, how long you've been out, what you claimed that was denied, etc.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

4. Member
    I am really struggling with a couple of things. I am having service related Anthrax vaccine health problems and I have a serious ringing in my ears. Tinnitus. I would like to get a VA claim started. What is the process?

While you can certainly do it yourself online, I would highly recommend you search out VSO (Veteran Service Organizations) in your area for assistance. Especially if you have been out for several years, which I'm guessing you have. I would look at the VFW, DAV, WWP, or your county VSO. When I get into the office I can help you find the closest resource. You will want to bring in anything you have from your period of service, primarily your DD214, and any medical records that you may still have. Additionally, copies of orders or awards are helpful too. The first thing they should do is file an "Intent to File," that will lock in the date and give you up to a year to gather documents. The VA will pay you back pay to the date of your claim. This can add to that time, essentially adding to your back pay if you need to request paperwork or "find them."
    2016 Nitro Z21

6. Member
    Unfortunately, tinnitus is not a large payout as far as ratings go. I know the most important thing is to get it service connected, so you can gain access for treatment. You should absolutely today get online and file an "Intent to File". That starts the backpay clock. You will have 1 year from that date to complete your fully developed claim.

Depending on your service, you probably have a few other things to claim as well. I am 100% permanent and total, and it took me 5 years to get there.
    2021 Triton 19 TRX Patriot with 225 ProXS
    (2) Power Pole Blades
    Ghost, Ghost 360, Active Target, HDS Live

Here are some good starting points:
    Office:
    Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs
    Email:
    veteran@la.gov
    vetaffairs.la.gov/
    Phone:
    225-219-5000
    Fax:
    225-219-5590
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/VetAffairs.La.Gov/

Office Address
    Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs
    P.O. Box 94095
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804

Veterans Service Organizations
    The following Veterans Service Organizations are located at the New Orleans Regional Office:
    · American Veterans, 504-619-4357, Room 603
    · Disabled American Veterans, 504-619-4350, Room 601
    · Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs, 504-619-4330, Room 610
    · Paralyzed Veterans of America, 504-619-4380, Room 607
    2016 Nitro Z21

8. Member
    Anyone get the phone call about burn pits? Is this an automatic deal if you were exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Anyone get the phone call about burn pits? Is this an automatic deal if you were exposed?
    Google the PACT Act or look it up on the VAs home page. There is a list of diseases that the burn pits caused, if you have one of those diseases it is a presumed affect and your claim will go through easier.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    Google the PACT Act or look it up on the VAs home page. There is a list of diseases that the burn pits caused, if you have one of those diseases it is a presumed affect and your claim will go through easier.
    Thanks! I've heard of the PACT act but thought it was odd that someone actually called and asked about it.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213