Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    A small side note removing carpet from lids. Everyone is using different methods. I found the cheapest easy method is acetone.
    Put in a spray bottle, coat lids well and carpet peels off within one min.
    I liked the goo gone method (same as above) but it took 24 hours to loosen the glue.
    My lids are metal as I assume most are so a reaction was a non issue. Not to mention acetone is $12 a gallon compared to 45 for goo gone. Hopefully this can help someone .

2. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (james1968bass)

awesome job! Just started my deck extension project, so this was very helpful!

3. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (james1968bass)

Do you glue INSIDE edge of lids? ????

9.4 Mass State record 2011

4. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (meatballs9)

not sure if im understanding your question exactly but i used 3M spray adhesive on the tops,sides,and undersides of all my lids-i also used a few staples on underside corners(press firmly on staple gun when applying and they'll sit in deep enuf that you wont ever notice them-this takes a lil stress off your glue job for the undersides where theres more tension on the carpet as it wraps around to the underside)---obviously if you have metal lids,no stapling.---guestimate in advance where your carpet will line up on the undersides by simulating the job without using glue(fold carpet on undersides and see where it will sit on the underside-mark with a pencil lightly then use masking tape to block out areas where you dont want the spray adhes to overmist into the center of your lid undersides

5. Member
    Thank God for you guys!

6. Member
    Please everyone make sure you are laying the carpet all in the same direction. One of the thing I see the most out of people doing their own carpet jobs is laying the grain all different directions. If you have to on the back of the carpet, use a marker or something to keep your directions. Mark a direction for the front, that should keep your carpet from changing shades.

01 Triton TR20 / 01 Merc 225

With all the fancy phone and of course you tube, we should post a video on how to do this stuff. If I do my deck extension over that's what I'll do.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Actually, that discription in the beginning is not a good way to do a corner,, it is the easiest. It will come apart to easy and break down fast, exposing the corner of the lid.

That type corner has held up for 16 years with no problems at all. The current carpet has been in for 4 years now with no issues. So, if it's the easiest and has held up for that many years I would say thats good enough for the majority. We aren't reinventing the wheel here just cutting a carpet corner.

If you have a better way of doing it post it......actions speak louder than words!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers71 View Post
    A small side note removing carpet from lids. Everyone is using different methods. I found the cheapest easy method is acetone.
    I liked the goo gone method (same as above) but it took 24 hours to loosen the glue.
    My lids are metal as I assume most are so a reaction was a non issue. Not to mention acetone is $12 a gallon compared to 45 for goo gone. Hopefully this can help someone .
    I want to thank you for the acetone tip!
    I removed the front deck manually with a scraper and thought about this thred...read up on it and wa-la, it works like magic! The goo just scraped off easily. Just had to keep it wet because it evaporates quickly. One gallon did my 85 Champ 19' with some left over.
    Thanks again!
    Steve

11. Member
    Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'll forward it to the idiots that redid the carpet in my boat my boat like a bunch of of 1st graders with a toy scissors for $1600. At least now I can fix the corners that they FOLDED, properly
    Last edited by BarryW; 07-01-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: punctuation

12. Member
    you have heard this time over time I'm sure, but THANKS your post helped greatly, Ill post pics once finised with the full restoration project. I have become young at heart like a kid in a cany store if you will.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers71 View Post
    Could this acetone method be used on the decks as well?
    current boat
    08 Champion 188CX
    08 Mercury 200L Optimax 1B544722

previous boat
    04 Champion 198 Elite
    04 Evinrude 225 HO DI E225FHLSRM

14. Member
    Quick question, this will be the second time in a year I redo the carpet. The first project was just plain outdoor carpet that was on sale for 50% off. I thought it would work, but it is already starting to come up and is just not what I thought it would be. So, this winter I am redoing the carpet. I have a question. For the corners that have the red arrows, do you just cut those like the door corners in the first post? Or is there a better way? Also, I added a deck extention and another reason I want to redo the carpet is because it warped pretty badly. it is I believe 1/2'' plywood. is there a better option? I would love to have a nice metal door so it wont warp, but I believe it is pretty expensive. I did waterproof it with deck sealer, but it obviously didnt work. Should I have used a water proof varnish? Give me some opinions on a good waterproofer for the new plywood lid! I attached a picture of the questionable corners I was referring too. As well as the carpet that I laid down earlier. Boat Carpet.jpgFirst carpet.jpg

15. Member
    Awesome job!

16. Member
    Joepa, great writeup! Thanks!

Glad this post is still pinned. Ran into a member this past weekend who said he used it when doing his carpet over. That's why it was done to help each other out. By the way....my corners are still holding up great and its been what...5+ years now.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

used your pics when doing mine, your pics and contact cement made for beautiful corners. I appreciate it

1991 Vision 200T, Johnson GT200
    2006 Nissan Titan LE
    "Work is the curse of the fishing class"
    ]

19. Member
    I have a old Ranger that has metal strips around the bottom and is pop riveted to the cover. Should I use the strips with my new carpeting or should I not. If I don't use the strips I wonder if the doors will have enough of space so I can close the compartments. Also, I have locks on them and will I be able to lock them. I cannot adjust the locks at all. Can you give me some direction.

I know its been a while since you asked but if you haven't resolved the problem can you post a pic? Maybe we can figure something out for you.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast